What Drives Your Cruise Choice?

What Drives Your Choice of a Cruise?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. What Drives Your Choice of a Cruise?

• Date: They have to match my schedule.
    • Length: It's not a vacation unless it's ____ days long.
    • Price: It's all about Bang for the Buck.
    • Ports of Call: Do I really have to go to Cozumel again!?
    • Ship: Bells and Whistles or that "Intimate" sailing with 2600 fellow cruisers.

It's really a combination of those items. First I pick the dates, we only have 2 weeks each year that we both take off so I only look at cruises during those weeks. Second I look only at 7-day cruises for April and 4-5 day cruises for September that are within the 9 day span of those vacation weeks. Third I look at ports, price, and ships.

All of it plays a factor to us.

Short version:

1 Time frame (determines the below)

2 Price (dictated by time frame)

3 Ports (dictated by price)

4 Length (dicated by price and ports)

It basically comes down to which #3 and #4 fits #2 andf all fits in #1

While price and schedule are extremely important to us, ports have become more important as we have gone on more cruises. With the expense of airfare from the midwest to consider, the itinery becomes a focus for us. How many times can you go to St. Thomas or Cozumel? There is only so many things to see or do in these (and other) ports. Our last two cruises have included St. Kitts for this reason. I can honestly say that Labadee has become a new port for us. I could not believe the changes. I really don't want to go back there again. It was better before. We will be on BOS in Dec. because it includes a new port for us.

BOS is a lovely ship. We enjoyed her when we cruised the Med. Lots of glass and great staff...:) We were looking forward to cruising the Med again with her this summer but she is no longer in the Med:(. We will be on the Serenade instead.

At first, we chose our cruises by the ports of call (Bermuda and the Southern Caribbean). The one time I tried Carnival we sailed because of the length and departure port (since we could drive to Norfolk). We sailed the Liberty of the Seas last month because of length and the ship (a short cruise on the Freedom class-perfect for a girls' trip). Sailing the Allure in September...and obviously we're sailing for the ship!! :D:cool:

After the Allure I think we'll go back to sailing for the ports of call. We're interested in trying Celebrity, as well as sailing in Europe.

For us, price and ports are tied for most important. We are always on the lookout for affordable options, and usually have a specific place in mind we want to go. Next would be length. We don't usually look at anything less than 5 nites, and are starting to lean hard towards 7 or more. We always try to cruise on our Anniversary, so date is somewhat important, but not a dealbreaker...

After our 5nt this month, we are looking next time for a good deal on an Eastern or Southern Caribbean or Europe that is at least 7 days for the fall.

Archived