Planes,Trains and Automobiles-Skagway

WEGRIMES

Hi Everyone, I'm up to the Skagway part of my excursions and,once again, I'm confused.:confused: There are many options...The train that goes to the summit, renting a car or taking a tour bus. We love sightseeing and taking pictures. Which is really the "must do"? Emerald Lake looks so beautiful, I'd like to see it too. Suggestions..............Please!!

Hi. I don't have any suggestions from experience but I can tell you what we are going to do and why.

I looked at the same 3 options you mentioned; the RR, car rental and a bus tour. There are 14 of us traveling together on our cruise.

The RR sounded great but we could take the car or bus tour farther then the RR goes, unless we paid much more and do the RR up with the bus back.

Cars gave us the freedom of stopping when we wanted but I was uneasy about renting 3 autos for all 14 of us.

I called Frontier Excursions and for the same price the RR cost we could rent our own private van that would travel all the way to Emerald Lake. The cost pp includes lunch and the museum in Carcross and, of course, we have the fexiablity of stopping as we see the need. The lady I spoke with at Frontier was very friendly and accommodating when I mentioned that we have several "hunters" in our group and they would be very interested in seeing (and hearing about) any possible wildlife. So, we have booked with Frontier and have a tour guide that should make the trip every interesting for our hunters.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck.

I don't necessarily recommend anything, but I can tell you what I did:

One trip we took the ferry to Haines, AK and (non-whitewater) rafted. We saw lots of eagles. I was very happy with that trip. Primary reason was it was really off the beaten path.

The other trip we hiked up to the lake. That was good, but you have to be in reasonable physical shape. What I like most about that "excursion" is, it's free. Also, if you're here to see Alaska, well that's Alaska.

Also, we visited Jewell Gardens. My suggestion: don't.

hi everyone:

i have a question. we're still not sure if we're going all the way to carcross, however i think we will. do we have the bus all the way back or do we catch the train halfway back. i have a brochure and i still can't figure it out

thanks for your help

less than 2 weeks to go :D

gerry

one time we did the round trip RR tour - well worth the $$$$. Narrated. You sit on one side of the train going up and then switch sides for the return. There is an outside viewing platform for pix-taking, breathing in the Alaskan air, and riding with only the clickity-clack of the train. Awesome! another time we did the RR trip up and took the bus ride back. nice to see from the bus which was different than the train. both tours very worthwhile:) We bought the White Pass Railroad VCR tape and it is better than any home video we may have tried to take (we don't own a cam recorder). Skagway is a really fun port! I don't think anyone will be disappointed - those trying to do Alaska on a budget will miss alot, but can well entertain themselves by hoofing it into town (just like the pioneers :rolleyes: oh, this makes me want to go *again* :D

Thanks for everyone's input. I decided to go with Frontier's Yukon Discovery trip. Although, I've read from some that you sometimes get "not so good" narrators. The lady at frontier said (without asking), that the tours with their company thru the cruise line are larger and sometimes led by a college student. She reccomended booking independently. (Whether this is honest advise is to be seen.) Also, my husband is a smoker :( , and this way he gets his breaks during the stops. It sounds like they go further and it'll be a little more for the money.

Plus, I'll get to see some puppies!!! LOL

HOPE SO!!

What is this Youkon Discovery Trip? We want to go all the way to Emerald Lake. We have reservations for the train but have now decided to cancel the train and rent a car. I hope this is the thing to do. Sharbro:confused:

http://www.frontierexcursions.com/tour/y_disc/map_big.html

Here's a map of where they take us. They say the trip goes to Emerald lake and, although we perfer car rentals on vacations, we can both relax and enjoy our first trip to Alaska. They also stop for a lunch and some other places. It was $99. I'm comfortable right now with my choice.

hi everyone:

i'm still confused about going all the way to carcross. i called the white pass rr folks yesterday and they told me they don't advise cruise ship passengers to go all the way to carcross. we'd get back to skagway around 4:30 and our ship leaves at 8:30, it seems like it's plenty of time to me.

anyone else ever done all the way to carcross in a day on the train/bus combo?

thanks

gerry

hi everyone:

i'm still confused about going all the way to carcross. i called the white pass rr folks yesterday and they told me they don't advise cruise ship passengers to go all the way to carcross. we'd get back to skagway around 4:30 and our ship leaves at 8:30, it seems like it's plenty of time to me.

anyone else ever done all the way to carcross in a day on the train/bus combo?

thanks

gerry

My opinion only- you don't have enough time if you are considering this after your train??? You won't have a car before 5pm- probably later. Then about 130 miles round trip, the highlights here are all the MANY stops along the way. It isn't a marathon drive. Then you have to gas up and return the car and get back to the ship. So probably you wouldn't even have the car 2 hours on the road. You have to be on board by 8pm.

thanks budget queen for all your help. we are NOT renting a car. we would like to take the train from skagway at 8:00 a.m. then we get to whitehorse at 1:00 p.m., then bus back to fraser i think, then catch the train back to skagway, it arrives at 4:30 p.m. our ship doesn't leave until 8:30 p.m. so i don't understand why they don't encourage cruise passengers to all the way to whitehorse. sorry i wasn't clear

thanks again

gerry

thanks budget queen for all your help. we are NOT renting a car. we would like to take the train from skagway at 8:00 a.m. then we get to whitehorse at 1:00 p.m., then bus back to fraser i think, then catch the train back to skagway, it arrives at 4:30 p.m. our ship doesn't leave until 8:30 p.m. so i don't understand why they don't encourage cruise passengers to all the way to whitehorse. sorry i wasn't clear

thanks again

gerry

It isn't recommended because it isn't a good option. The bus is basically transportation only, with so so scenery AT BEST past Emerald Lake, so for 60++ miles round trip,you are looking at trees. Whitehorse is OK with time to see it, not with a 30 minute window to get back on and take off again. And lastly - this bus option is costing about $95 round trip, very costly for what you get.

Archived