Alaskan Cruise vs. Alaskan land vacation?

pampaul

We're just tossing around the idea of taking an Alaskan cruise someday (probably won't be for another 6yrs for our 25th anniversary). We have cruised before (not to Alaska) and we've also done many land based vacations (also, not to Alaska)

For those who have "done" Alaska both by cruise and by a land based vacation (not so much the "cruisetours") which do you think would be a better choice in terms of $$$ and which would get us to see as much as we could, say in a 2 week period?

I know on the cruise we'd be at each port for X-amount of hours but we'd be able to see many ports throughout the 1-2 weeks on the cruise.

How much could I expect to see if we JUST did a land vacation to Alaska instead of a cruise? I understand Alaska is huge and we won't get to see much in a couple week period but is it possible to see many "highlights" in that time frame?

We're not very active vacationers (no hiking, ziplining, etc) but we do like to sightsee and take "tours" and such.

With 2 weeks, I do think a one week cruise and another week for interior Alaska a great mix of opportunity to see Alaska. Cruises can be a great value, as they are meals, lodging and transportation. :) Interior Alaska, I stay in modest motels/B&B's and drive an economy rental car. I eat basic, small cafes, groceries etc. I spend no where near what some do, but I don't skimp on my tour priorities. I fly repeatively, every trip, last year I spent $2000 for a 3 trip to Prudhoe Bay, and spent a month in Alaska.

I suggest you find out about the differences in Alaska areas. Head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska, Alaska By Cruiseship, Ports of Call (Alaska), The Milepost. There can be some significant discounts using purchases coupon books. Alaska is land and sea, you might want to consider both.

By doing a cruise and a land tour before or after the cruise, you will be seeing 2 completely different sections of Alaska. The cruise will bring you to the southeast section of Alaska and the land tour will bring you to the interior portion...in my estimation the best way to see both.

(disclaimer..I haven't done it yet but I have done a ton of research. Will report back after our trip in July!)

As noted, Alaska can be broken up into 3 main regions. The southeast, which is a narrow land mass (it actually is a lot bigger, but there are mountains that keep you close to the shore) and a bunch of islands-perfect for a cruise. THen there is "the mainland", which is a huge area that funds from the Anchorage Area in the south to Pt. Barrow in the North and from Wrangell/Northway and the Canadian Border in the east to the Lands of the Yukon Delta, Nome and the Bearing sea in the west. Then there are the Aleutian Islands.

When you say land tour you are talking about the mainland. YOu can find tours that will take you almost anywhere on that land. YOu can also drive an RV up the Alcan and Drive around the road system.

Most tourism is done on the mainland and Southeast. Now, go out and RESEARCH!

Archived