Oceania and Barcelona

Love.II.Cruise

We are leaving out of Barcelona for a transatlantic cruise. We are staying 5 nights in Barcelona beforehand and want to stay somewhere that is close to the port and walking distance to several places.

We've been thinking about staying at the Eurostars Grand Marina. Anyone know how we find out if the Riviera will port there? Or is that ship too big for that terminal? It would be awesome to watch it pull into dock from our room on the day we board. We know ports can change unexpectedly, but we didn't know if there was a website where we could see schedules for cruise ships at specific terminals in Barcelona.

We have always been docked at the main cruise port which is a new facility roughly at the bottom of Las Ramblas but quite a way out. There is a shuttle bus normally from the bottom of Las Ramblas. The closer in berths appear mostly to be used by ferries.

I would stay somewhere within walking distance of the main things you want to experience and not worry too much about being close to the port. Barcelona has a good subway system for getting around.

The R class ships do dock at the terminal at the foot of Las ramblas (World Trade Centre) where your hotel is.

However I think the O class ships cannot. On Marina's Maiden Voyage we left from the main cruise terminal a short distance away where most of the cruise lines dock. I'd think that if they could dock at the WTC terminal they would have especially on the Maiden Voyage just to be noticed

If you are staying in Barcelona for 5 days it does not make any sense to stay near where the ship docks.

Look for a hotel near Placa de Catalunya - that is the center of the world in Barcelona. You can easily get to every point of interest from there. When you are ready to board the ship you can just hop in a cab. The port is not that far away from town.

There have been many recommendations for Barcelona hotels on CC. Go to the ports of call boards do a search for "Barcelona hotel."

I agree that it does not make much sense to stay at the World Trade Center Grand Marina Hotel - if you plan on staying five days.

This hotel, while beautiful, is by itself at the end of the World Trade pier. There is NOTHING else around. Take my word for it, we stayed there one night prior to our last Barcelona cruise departure.

Talk to Oceania and see if they can give you docking information for your cruise - the "R" class ships do dock there, we took a TA leaving Barcelona for a crossing. However, the Marina did also dock there recently.

Choose another hotel, toward the more central part of town, and then take a taxi to the pier on your departure day.....:cool:

The R class ships can easily dock at the WTC terminal. The O class ships only fit on one side of that terminal (the south side), and then no other ship would fit there. In any case, it's tight. South side fits ships up to 253 meters in length, O ships measure 251). So I think that the odds of having an O class ship at the WTC terminal are low, and would only happen if it's a very slow day at the port.

You might as well stay in a hotel more centrally located, as recommended by others.

Okay... we have now changed our minds about staying at the hotel by the port just to "hopefully" see the ship sail in in the morning. We are still doing 5 nights in Barcelona. We have narrowed it down to three hotels:

Hotel 1898

Hotel Montecarlo

Hotel Bagues

These are all in the upper area of La Ramblas. These hotels were ranked well on trip advisor and someone on the Europe thread did recommend 1898.

Okay... we have now changed our minds about staying at the hotel by the port just to "hopefully" see the ship sail in in the morning. We are still doing 5 nights in Barcelona. We have narrowed it down to three hotels:

Hotel 1898

Hotel Montecarlo

Hotel Bagues

These are all in the upper area of La Ramblas. These hotels were ranked well on trip advisor and someone on the Europe thread did recommend 1898.

Hotel 1898 is wonderful--a charming hotel with excellent service and GREAT beds. Its location is perfect for catching public transportation at Plaça de Catalunya; also, it's right on La Rambla, which is a great place to call your HQTRS while in Barcelona.

We are returning to Barcelona next November and will definitely stay at Hotel 1898 again.

Hotel 1898

Hotel Montecarlo

Hotel Bagues

I suggest Hotel 1898, I stayed 2 years ago, and have booked again for May after an O cruise. The hotel is in a fantastic location, the rooms are lovely, and the breakfast is one of the best. They have a lovely spa and a fantastic roof top pool and bar, with spectacular views over Barcelona. I have been into the foyer of Hotel Montecarlo, and whilst that looks nice, I still say Hotel 1898 is my pick. Cheers

I have stayed at both Hotel 1898 and Hotel Montecarlo and both are great (and right across Las Ramblas from each other). 1898 is a little pricier and has a little more glitz to it, but the rooms in both are very nice. Montecarlo is probably a better value for the cost and the staff was very good at both hotels.

Wiks:)

We arranged pick up for 3 couples off the Marina, two of us stayed at the

Continental Rambla, the 3rd at 1898.

Continental just off the square and offered 24 hour buffet. OK,after Terrace and Waves no comparison on food. But the beer was on tap and so were wines. Breakfast was cereal, toasts, various prepared egg dishes, hard boiled eggs, potatoes, sliced fruits, etc. Rick Steve's quide book got us another 5% off confirmed rate. Later in day chicken wings, ravioli and several hot salads,

We have stayed at both Continentals (the Hotel Continental and the Hotel Continental Palacete). They both have the 24 hour buffet and good Las Ramblas locations. The Palacete is a bit north of the plaza, the other one is a bit south. We preferred the Palacete but not by much. The buffet there had a somewhat greater selection. The Palacete is more expensive. (At today's rates a standard double is €140 at the Palacete and €102 at the Continental.)

We were at the Continental 7 years ago and back then there were a lot of backpackers which we didn't see at the Palacete. (That's not a criticism, merely an observation.)

Both were quite comfortable. If you want more luxurious surroundings, there are plenty of other hotels to choose from! But if you want a more economical hotel, both of these are good choices.

(Both have a free computer in the lobby.)

Mura

I would like to know from Oceania passengers that stayed at Hotel 1898 if the indoor pool and sauna were free or if there was a daily charge? Since we are going in November, we thought it would be nice to come back to these luxuries at the end of the day.

We have booked the Gastronomy pack which includes breakfast, dinner (excluding drinks), a free welcome drink, late check out, and free access to the spa, indoor and outdoor pool, sauna and gym.

I believe if you just book a room ( which we did last time ) then you only have access to the free outdoor pool. Check out all the packs, they all have free spa and indoor pool with them. I think the packages are good value - if you like that type of thing. Particularly after lots of walking around the beautiful city of Barcelona - what a nice way to end the day and pamper yourself.

Cheers

Archived