Is 2 old enough to enjoy DCL?

ratherBcruizin'

Hello all, I'm new to DCL. We are considering (read if we can afford!) a Disney cruise this fall with our 2 year old. We took her on NCL last fall and it wasn't great. She did fine there just wasn't a whole lot to do with her. So now we're uneasy about taking another cruise with her. We were thinking Disney may be more geared for her. Also considering going to WDW or just flying to an island to spend time on the beach. Any suggestions or experiences? :confused:

Thanks in advance.

We waited until our youngest was 4 before going. We didn't want to have to deal with diapers and everyday naps. We also wanted him to be independant enough to stay in the kids club and really enjoy it. It was hard to wait, but I think for us, it really paid off. There are things about DCL that your 2 year old would love but they aren't old enough for the Oceaneer Lab at that age which does limit their options. I suppose it really depends on what you want out of the vacation. Disney is expensive so maybe you are better off waiting a bit longer "to get more for the money". Good luck with your decision!

Howdy,

We took our 2 year old grandson on 7 day disney cruise last year and it was great. He was smiles all day long. He was afraid of the characters so we stood back with him, but he loved the Mickey pool. One of mickey's ears is just for little kids with swim diapers on. Only a couple of inches deep, with water spurting from different places, He would of stayed there the entire time if we'd let him. He actually loved the musicals in the evening. The music, and bright colors kept his attention the whole hour. He loved all the attention from the wait staff too. The colors at animators pallet had him just starring at the walls all through dinner. They do have a nice nursery on board, reservation only, $6. per hour, minimum 2 hours and it's filled with fun stuff to play with. You can help her do the Mr. Toad race too. Some little kids had beach balls to play with too. After kids are potty trained they can go to the kids club which has a lot more structured things for kids. They always have at least one animated movie playing that you can take her to see. That's all i can think of for such a young one, our GS just liked to roam the decks and look out the big windows, Guess he is easy to please.

Hope this helps a little.

mom x4,grandma x4

Absolutely!

Both of our kids cruised with Disney at 6 months, then 1 year, and again and again. They are now 2 and 4, and LOVE the "Mickey-Mouse boat", as they call it.

The crew definitley caters to kids. And, although your child is not old enough for the kids clubs, there is a nursery that allows families "free play" at certain times of the day.

The previous poster gave alot of tips. I can only add--be sure to get a balcony cabin, as it is GREAT to sit on the balcony after your child is asleep for the evening.

Enjoy!

We're thinking of taking our 3, 6, and 9 year old daughters on a Disney cruise. Will our 3 year old be old enough to enjoy it? We know the older two will love it but kind of worried about the 3 year old having enough to do.

we love taking our kids on different vacations..... my 9 year old has been to WDW 7 times and on 6 cruises since she was an infant up until recent..... my 6 year old has been to WDW 4 times & on 4 cruises.... my 2 year old has been to WDW twice & already on 1 cruise..... definitely take your 2 year old on DCL if u could afford it, she'll have a blast!!!!! I can't stand those peeps that say "2 is too young they won't enjoy it or remember anything".... for my kids that statement couldn't be more incorrect..... :)

• 4 weeks later...

I started my DD at the age of 4, and has been on 5 cruises so far (she will be 7 this summer.

I would have taken her earlier. Yes, she probably would not remember it anymore, but we would have enjoyed it at the time, just as much as she.

Obviously, the "Micky pool" won't mean a hill of beans to her as oppsed to a regular pool in someones backyard, but it's the family experience YOU will enjoy.

Go for it. Start her early. It the best type vacation out there!

BTW, she does still remember experiences from her first cruise. Shocks me. :eek:

• 2 months later...

We took our then 3 year old on a NCL cruise and she has SO MUCH FUN b/c she could go to the kids area...

Now we are taking her and my other daughter (who will be 6 and 2) on Disney next year. We cannot wait. I know my 6 year will want to live in the kids area like last time but I hate that my 2 year old wont be able to join in that fun. We hope to take another one when she is 3 so she can have fun too. I know she will have fun with us still.

SS

We are taking out Chidren on a Disney Land and Sea next year. My Son will be 4 and my Daughter 2. I also have a Step daughter who will be 15. We promised my DSD that we would go on this cruise. It will be her first. My son has already done a cruise (on X) and both will be on another in Nov 2005. My DSD didn't want to miss school to go....so we certainly won't argue with that! But, she's dying to to to WDW....so, we are planning a family cruise next year. Grandparents and all. I wanted to try to go while DSD was still a 'kid'....course she doesn't think she's a 'kid' now...LOL....:rolleyes:

As someone mentioned about remembering....maybe they will, maybe they won't, but I will. And they have a fantastic time even if they don't remember....just look at their faces. My son loved the first cruise, he had a great time. :D

I believe that to be able for the child to participate in the Club he/she would have to be 3 and potty trained. Me, myself, and I would personally wait until that age, since I can tell you from first hand experience how much we all enjoyed our first cruise when DD was 5. I stayed home until she had started kindergarten. I never felt completely relaxed when she was away. With the beeper and the security on DCL, I knew that she was well taken care of, that if she wasn't happy, all she had to do was beep me. I sat on the deck, reading a book by the pool and relaxed totally for the first time since she was born. It was the best feeling I had ever had! It wasn't that I was glad she was away, it was that I knew that she was enjoying her vacation too! A cruise is really the best of both worlds...together time and alone time.

Archived