MAASDAM MDR Incident - Excerpt from my Cruise Log

Spire2000

The manager asked if I would like to see tomorrow's menu in advance so they can find out if there are nuts in anything. :confused: Seriously? After all this, they still don't get that if there are nuts in a dish, PUT THAT ON THE MENU!

The menus are probably not printed daily but in advance.

English is not the first language of your server and I suspect that a peanut allergy is quite foreign to an Asian.

I never heard of peanut allergies until I moved to the US. As a kid we ate peanut butte a lot - peanut butte and (Lyle's Golden) syrup sandwiches weer a staple of lunches sent with you to school.

I was asked to take the following excerpt from my cruise log and post it into it's own thread here. It got a little lost in that thread and due to the potential for illness, it should be seen by as many people who may have severe food allergies as possible.

This was on the March 02-12 2012 cruise

Excerpt begins:

----------------------

This evening, I ordered a tasty sounding chicken dish in a Thai-style sauce. I'm a big fan of Thai food, but I need to be careful as I have peanut allergy and peanuts tend to find their way into Thai food often. My allergy isn't a serious one, but I am still careful.

I asked the server if this dish included any peanuts and he said he didn't know. He did not volunteer to find out, so I politely asked him to check with the kitchen and if it did not have peanuts, I would order that. If it did, I had a second choice. Fine.

20 minutes later, the main course arrives and my chicken is bathed in a sauce that very clearly contains peanuts. I tried to call our server over, but he was absent. I had another server summon the manager. The manager arrived and I explained the situation. The manager looked at the food, said he needed to see the menu and went and found one. He returned and pointed out to me that the menu did not say the sauce contained peanuts. I said fine, but obviously it should say it did, beacuase obviously it is so. At this point, our server returned, noticed we were consulting with his boss and asked if there was a problem. Again, I explained the problem. Explaining my concern to these two was like pulling teeth. Maybe "allergy" was not in their vocabulary, but the language barrier made this a frustrating exercise.

I asked all parties present if HAL has a policy to note when a potentially serious allergen is present in a menu item. I don't need a warning on the menu, just a mention of the nuts in the sauce. Any reputable restaurant that would rather avoid lawsuits tells it's customers when nuts are present in a dish. I was met with a blank stare from the manager who either realized the menu writer seriously screwed up or had no idea what I was trying to say.

Eventually, another piece of chicken arrived, without the sauce or anything else on it. The manager confirmed from the kitchen that not only were there pieces of peanuts in the sauce but the sauce was made with pureed nuts also.

But here's the real kicker. The manager asked if I would like to see tomorrow's menu in advance so they can find out if there are nuts in anything. :confused: Seriously? After all this, they still don't get that if there are nuts in a dish, PUT THAT ON THE MENU! I told the manager at this point not to bother, because that was our last visit in the MDR.

I have emailed HAL's head office with this story and haven't heard back yet. While the situation wasn't life or death for me, and I imagine that if I was a person with a deadly allergy I would be very vigilant on these sort of things, the complete inability for the MDR staff to understand my concern to take any real preventative action on it was irresponsible and completely off-putting.

-------------------

Excerpt ends...

I haven't yet heard anything from HAL, and at this point it is safe to say I won't. Granted, if I had an allergy where my life was endangered, maybe I don't cruise at all or at least have a conversation with the Hotel Manager at the start of the cruise, but there are many of us who would get sick from hidden allergen foods, enough that it would make the next few hours/days uncomfortable.

All I am asking is for HAL to state on the menu that the dish includes nuts. "Roast chicken breast in a savoury Thai peanut sauce". I don`t think that`s too much to ask.

Are you requesting that HAL reprints the rest of the menus for the entire cruise,because you're on it?:confused:

I have an allergy to barley (beer, anyone?), and while it is not life-threatening and I can get by with a little (amount in wheat bread), I feel really miserable if I eat barley in a soup, or get something that is beer battered. I don't expect all of the ingredients to show up on menus, but what I do expect, and usually get, is waiters who either know or will check with the kitchen, and kitchens that can answer questions about ingredients. I don't think that is asking too much, or for something that couldn't be easily handled on ships. BTW, I've had good luck with HAL, but it could be luck of the draw.

I have traveled with some friends, one of which has a food allergy. We have traveled together on several different cruiselines, including Hal. In each case they have always notified the head waiter of their allergy on the first night. The waiter has then each night brought over the next nights menu. My friend would then identify anything that she was interested in and the Head waiter would check with the chef and see if it contained anything that would trigger their allergy. In a couple of cases the kitchen even made up a special version with a modified recipe for them.

Being the mother of a 36 yr. old who not only suffer from anaphylaxis to all nuts, peanuts, legumes, beans, soy products, fresh water fish, salt water fish and shell fish.

I fully comprehend food allergies.

My husband in the last 10 yrs. has developed an allergy to all citrus. Yes his throat and lips swell. Our PCC has this on file and and always notifies the HAL ship we are on. We check with the dining room mgr. to make sure it is on file. Every night my husband gets the menu for the next day and picks his food. If it has citrus they will make it just for him without it.he has never had a problem. On our last cruise Mar 11-25 on the Westerdam our DR steward even brought the menu into the Pinnacle so that hubby could select the next days dinner.

All I am asking is for HAL to state on the menu that the dish includes nuts. "Roast chicken breast in a savoury Thai peanut sauce". I don`t think that`s too much to ask.

This is stupid. I have never seen a menu that lists possible ingredients that someone might be allergic.

Your allergy and your responsibility to order stuff that is OK with you.

Would you go with a warning that on the menu to be aware that some people could be allergic to some ingredient and that the food and is prepared in an environment that could cause cross contamination. Would that be OK with you?

I have been in good restaurants in all parts of the world. Listing all allergens is very rare. I wish OP would let us know what foods he/she feels must be listed for each dish of every menu. It appears, just for basiaZ03's family, that this would need to include:

NUTS

PEANUTS

LEGUMES

BEANS

SOY

FRESH AND SALT WATER FISH

SHELL FISH

CITRUS

Obviously, one would also need at the very least

GLUTEN

BERRIES

MILK PROTEIN

Now if there were only room for the actual menu.

I greatly sympathize with OP's allergy problem, and in fact always need my own cruise meals scrutinized and often specially prepared. However, I think OP's letter to the cruise line is absurd, as is his idea of listing all allergens to all dishes.

I also have food allergies ... here's what we have done no matter which cruise line:

1. notify the cruiseline ahead of time what my food allergies are. (I was amazed at how quickly HAL sent me an e-mail wanting specifics, and then responded within 24 hours that they had received the list etc.).

2. When we board the ship, I go to the main dining room (the one we will eat at) and talked to the main person about my allergies.

3. The first night at dinner I give my waiter a type written list of my food allergies. (small index card with my name, table number, and which seating).

4. They always bring me the menu for the next day to choose items. I have found many times, they have already discussed with the chef for the next night too.

5. I ALWAYS carry allergy meds with me. That way if there is a problem, I can take the meds immediately.

Knock on wood, I've never had an problem on the ship. I have found that people often just do not understand allergies and that they can be life threatening. My allergies are to common foods that can be a hidden ingredient.

One time we went to a restaurant (went there often, had a new waitress). For breakfast, they served a mixed fruit bowl with your meal. I explained to the waitress that I couldn't eat oranges because of allergies. I asked her to please just cut me some cantaloupe. Well, she brings me out the cantaloupe. I take a small bite and realize it has an orange taste to it. I have my husband try it and he says the same thing. I took my meds, was fine. Before we left I took the waitress aside and asked her if she had understood that I had allergies. She said yes, that was why she had only given me cantaloupe as I requested. Well, it turns out the cantaloupe was taken out of the mixed fruit bowl in the kitchen. She never even realized there could be cross-contamination. I remained calm, but explained the seriousness of what she had done. Shook her up to say the least.

Another time we went to Kenny Rogers Chicken (never again). Told them it was my first time there and did they use any type of citrus in their chicken (El Pollo Loco does). They had me to talk to someone they referred to as being the manager. She assured me that there was no citrus. We sit down to eat and I've eaten about 1/4 of the meat when I look over at one of their flyers ... it's talking about their wonderful citrus marinated chicken!!!!!!! I take my meds, and head to the front counter. I asked for the manager and someone else comes out, not the person I talked to originally. She get hostile with me, telling me I never asked/said a thing about allergies. I just got mad. Then I told her I wanted my money back on the meal and she asked for a receipt!!!! Is this crazy or what ... she finally gives me my money back and as I leave I explain calmly that if I end up in emergency that night, she will hear from our lawyer. I normally don't raise a fuss, but my gosh to get angry at me because they messed up big time .. uncalled for.

I have found that most restaurants and cruise ships go above and beyond for those with allergies. They don't want us to get sick, and do what they can to prevent it.

As the consumer, I also know that the responsibility lies with me too. It's hard.

I do not have allergies (thankfully) but I am well aware that a peanut allergy is one of the most serious and deadly there is, and have often seen warnings on products - and yes, on menus - that peanuts are in the product/item.

wow....I do not have any food allergies and after reading all above it is something I am really thankful for.:eek:

I have heard about the peanut and shellfish allergies.

My mother is allergic to cinnamon, I always thought that was sort of strange, but I guess there must be alot more people are allergic to after reading the posts in this topic.

Because peanut allergies have gotten so severe and especially in children, many of the restaurants in many of the 48 states we have traveled in list on their menus the possibility of peanuts or the peanut oil being used in individual food items. It seems that is better than a death or lawsuit on their plate.

I agree that it was a serious problem for the waiter to serve the peanut-containing dish after you informed him of your allergy and asked that he double check.

However, I'm trying to figure out what response you expected from the manager? He responded as best he could at the moment. He could not possibly go and "fix" all the menus for you for the next day. It was reasonable for him to offer you the menu for the next night so he could check on whatever you would like to pre-order. I don't understand why you got upset at his response or what you expected him to do? Why did you think you would have better luck in the Lido?

wow....I do not have any food allergies and after reading all above it is something I am really thankful for.:eek:

I have heard about the peanut and shellfish allergies.

My mother is allergic to cinnamon, I always thought that was sort of strange, but I guess there must be alot more people are allergic to after reading the posts in this topic.

Cinnamon is one of my allergies too. Be sure to tell your mom NOT to eat anything that has "Old Bay" seasoning in it. It is often used in seafood dishes and very, very common ingredient in crab cakes. One restaurant used it in Lobster Bisque.

I never had allergies as a kid. It wasn't until I was in my late 20s that they developed. They are to foods that I ate on a regular basis, which is very common in adult onset allergies. Then I started allergy shots for the environmental allergies and it just made the food allergies super sensitive. They can't desensitize you against food items.

They can't desensitize you against food items.

Actually, Researchers have made a lot of progress at desensitizing food allergies. People with severe allergies should try to keep informed about the research going on. There are a number of research labs working on it

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2011/march/milk.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/142336.php

http://dallasallergy.net/services/food-desensitization

Peanut allergies seem to be in a class of their own and truly have to be taken seriously in professional kitchens. I have the experience of an acquaintance falling violently ill from a peanut allergy, not because of what she ordered, but because her dinner was contaminated in the kitchen. When I say violently ill, I mean we are all happy she is live.

Everyone has to take this seriously, from the pax who should advise HAL of their allergies, to DR staff who should be able to respond to questions respecting this potentially life threatening problem, to kitchen staff who must be careful to separate dishes out perfectly.

Rather than try to establish blame to discover who to shoot on this one, we should see this as a wake-up call to become more alert.

This is a good news story - no one fell ill.

Smooth sailing...

I feel more comfortable on a cruise ship than in a restaurant with my daughter's severe food allergy. We always take responsibility for her safety and tip our servers accordingly at the end of the cruise. The cruise line always say not to eat in the buffet because of cross contamination. They need to know in advance if someone has a food allergy and what it is. They have always honored our request even when we were open seating to have a set time and table to ensure the same server every night.

My responsibility as a parent of a food allergic child is:

1. Notify the cruise ship in writing prior to sailing as far in advance as possible.

2. Call cruise line to ensure they have received the information.

3. Go to the main dining room and talk to head maitre d' on the first day.

4. Tell the headwaiter when we enter the dining room the first day.

5. Tell the waiter and server of the allergy being very specific that she can die from her allergy.

6. Verify that what she will be eating is free of the allergens.

So far we have had excellent service and she has chosen her meals the evening before to ensure her safety. If they can not do a dish without her allergens in it they will tell us and she choses something else. You have to be very vigilent when an allergy can kill you. She always has her epipen on her. I will post after our HAL cruise and let you know if their service was up to the excellent service we have received on Princess with regards to her food allergies.

I feel very fortunate to be old enough to predate peanut allergies . They were unheard of in my youth and much of my adult life . Wonder what caused the peanuts to turn on us ?

I feel the same way....it's nuts, isn't it?:eek::D

While I appreciate that you were angry the first night with the miscommunication about the allergy situation -- I don't understand why you were upset thereafter when the manager came to you with the menu to work out what you could eat? That's how they know, and can either adjust the food preparation accordingly, or advise you what you can/cannot eat from the menu!

I'd hardly expect any restaurant to prepare a specific menu to my needs, especially if I didn't contact them well in advance and inform them of my allergy!

and yes, Thai food as prepared in most American kitchens has tons of peanuts in it, in one form or another.

I feel very fortunate to be old enough to predate peanut allergies . They were unheard of in my youth and much of my adult life . Wonder what caused the peanuts to turn on us ?

Perhaps the peanut(s) got assaulted? There's nothing worse than an assaulted peanut:eek:

Archived