Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

Sinppu....kiitos for starting this thread.

We're docking at 6:00 a.m. and would like to get the day started as soon as possible. We've been to Helsinki previously and seen the sights in town and this trip we'd like to go to Suomenlinna. I believe it's about a 45-60 minute walk from the port (Hernesaari - LHB) along the bay around to the harbour (we like to walk). Would the ferry to Suomenlinna be running around 7-7:30? I understand the visitor's centre doesn't open until later, but are you able to get to the islands and wander the grounds earlier?

Lynn

Hello! You are indeed correct, they are different quays. Your bus should be 14B or 16.

There is a bus stop behind the terminal building. Or in front, depends where you are standing ;) But just alongside the big road that takes you out of the port area anyway.

Ole hyvä!

Perfect, this is exactly what I was looking for. And thanks for letting me know where the bus stop is! I will definitely wait for the bus just outside of the terminal building and buy a 1 day pass from the driver.

Also, last time I was in Helsinki, in Market Square where the vendors are, they had a guy who was cooking up/grilling reindeer meat and potatoes right there in Market Square. I had some and it was FANTASTIC! Are those people always there, or did that food vendor just happen to be there the day I was there?

Kiitos!

We're docking at 6:00 a.m. and would like to get the day started as soon as possible. We've been to Helsinki previously and seen the sights in town and this trip we'd like to go to Suomenlinna. I believe it's about a 45-60 minute walk from the port (Hernesaari - LHB) along the bay around to the harbour (we like to walk). Would the ferry to Suomenlinna be running around 7-7:30? I understand the visitor's centre & buildings don't open until later, but are you able to get to the islands and wander the grounds earlier?

Lynn

We're docking at 6:00 a.m. and would like to get the day started as soon as possible. We've been to Helsinki previously and seen the sights in town and this trip we'd like to go to Suomenlinna. I believe it's about a 45-60 minute walk from the port (Hernesaari - LHB) along the bay around to the harbour (we like to walk). Would the ferry to Suomenlinna be running around 7-7:30? I understand the visitor's centre & buildings don't open until later, but are you able to get to the islands and wander the grounds earlier?

Lynn

According to the Suommenlinna website, it states:

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/en/visitors_guide/how_to_get_there/

"The ferry is part of the city transport network and all HSL tickets are accepted.

You need to buy your ferry ticket before boarding. Tickets can be bought from ticket machines or the Market Square ferry booth, which is open daily during the summer from 9 am to 6 pm (special opening hours apply during Midsummer). Check ticket prices from HSL. Free crossing with a Helsinki Card."

Lynn

Hi Lynn!

I'm also an early riser :) Morning is a very good time, you'll have the island mostly to yourselves.

I'd would definitely recommend being on the south tip around 9.30, then you will see the two Stockholm ferries coming in. It's a magnificent sight since the ferries are big and the Kustaanmiekka passage is small.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTT87pIbBUQCeeePEQJtJIBOh3HND1IdyHf1w0Kh7uuiYLcTEr-

1535896704_8c3955283c.jpg

There are people living on the island and they use the ferry to commute. It does run early in the morning but every 30-40 minutes. The ticket booth isn't open that early but there is a ticket machine you can use outside the booth. You'll of course need euros to buy the tickets, preferably coins or small notes.

It is also an easy walk from the port, just stick to keeping the sea near :p

Edited by Sinppu

Also, last time I was in Helsinki, in Market Square where the vendors are, they had a guy who was cooking up/grilling reindeer meat and potatoes right there in Market Square. I had some and it was FANTASTIC! Are those people always there, or did that food vendor just happen to be there the day I was there?

Kiitos!

They are there every day during the summer. The food IS fantastic! My absolute favourite Finnish dish is reindeer fry with mashed potatoes and lingonberries :p

Thank you so much, Sinppu, just the info we were looking for regarding Suomenlinna. What a great photo of the ferry passing by. We'll definitely aim to be there when they sail past. Can't believe how narrow the waterway is, looks like you could reach out and touch the ship.

One other question, please....have you ever been to the The Winter War Military Museum on Liisankatu? DH was born in Finland and loves anything to do with Finnish history. Do you know if the displays in the museum would be bilingual with English signage? Unfortunately, he lost his understanding of spoken Finnish, let alone being able to read it:eek:.

Thanks....Lynn

Thank you so much, Sinppu, just the info we were looking for regarding Suomenlinna. What a great photo of the ferry passing by. We'll definitely aim to be there when they sail past. Can't believe how narrow the waterway is, looks like you could reach out and touch the ship.

One other question, please....have you ever been to the The Winter War Military Museum on Liisankatu? DH was born in Finland and loves anything to do with Finnish history. Do you know if the displays in the museum would be bilingual with English signage? Unfortunately, he lost his understanding of spoken Finnish, let alone being able to read it:eek:.

Thanks....Lynn

Your'e welcome! I work on those ferries so I get to see the passing from the boat :) it is quite awe-inspiring.

I haven't been in the museum, but I can check and get back to you.

I can understand your husband forgetting his Finnish, it's a tough language by any standards!

Where in Ontario do you live? I've been planning a visit to Canada for a while now but the sheer size of the country is scaring me (might have to make several trips to see everything I want :p)

Edited by Sinppu

Do you know off hand if there is a tram service from Hernesaari port that goes to Market Square area? We are looking at purchasing a Helsinki Card and rather than paying the 12E to have mailed to the house, we would pick up at Helsinki Expert office (near Market Square??)

We're going to take ferry to Suomenlinna too and hoping for a little visit to Stockmanns:)

As to Canada..... huge. You could take a train across, but much faster if you fly. Save your Euros and break the cross country tour into segments. From coast to coast it is spectacular. ( must see ... Niagara Falls, Vancouver, The Rockies, Banff, the east coast will probably be much like Finland??, but it is spectacular too)

Do you know off hand if there is a tram service from Hernesaari port that goes to Market Square area?

Trams 1 and 3 are the closest but you'll need to walk over a mile to the tram stops. Bus 16 goes straight to the Market Square. The Tourist Office is just across the street from the Market.

There are plenty of people of Finnish origin in Eastern Canada, probably exactly because they are so alike :D

I'd love to see the whole country, from Quebec to Yukon...

I'm hoping to go on a cruise to Alaska in the near future and I'm thinking of including British Columbia to that trip. Thanks for the tips!

Your'e welcome! I work on those ferries so I get to see the passing from the boat :) it is quite awe-inspiring.

I haven't been in the museum, but I can check and get back to you.

I can understand your husband forgetting his Finnish, it's a tough language by any standards!

Where in Ontario do you live? I've been planning a visit to Canada for a while now but the sheer size of the country is scaring me (might have to make several trips to see everything I want :p)

Wow...you actually work on those ferries. I bet you have some pretty rough waters sometimes during the winter. We'll be sure to wave when the ferry goes by.:)

We live in Toronto. There are a lot of Finns who live in northern Ontario, and particularly Thunder Bay. Lots of lakes and forests. My mother-in-law lives in Suomi Koti which is a retirement home in Toronto that caters to Finns. I go to the bazaars they have there and it's like stepping off a plane into Finland. They all seem to speak so quickly. DH can pick up the occasional word. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Toronto that teaches Finnish. SweetGG has given you a good list of places to see. Unfortunately, Canada is so large that it would take a lot of trips to see everything. If you do an Alaskan cruise make sure you get to spend some time in Vancouver. The backdrop of the mountains is amazing. We really like the East Coast - Nova Scotia (particularly Cape Breton) and Prince Edward Island are my favourites.

Funny how we take our own country for granted and want to get out to see the rest of the world, when people from the rest of the world are wanting to see our country.

Wow...you actually work on those ferries. I bet you have some pretty rough waters sometimes during the winter. We'll be sure to wave when the ferry goes by.:)

The backdrop of the mountains is amazing. We really like the East Coast - Nova Scotia (particularly Cape Breton) and Prince Edward Island are my favourites.

Funny how we take our own country for granted and want to get out to see the rest of the world, when people from the rest of the world are wanting to see our country.

Rough indeed they can be, especially in November and December. It is quite common to tape all the closet doors and drawers shut so they will not wake you up banging all night long :D

I'll wave right back if I'm working ;)

One thing we always hear is how people would love to see and touch snow. If they only knew what a nuisance it can be to us who live 5 months of the year surrounded by it :rolleyes:

I've heard only good things about Toronto -I'd LOVE to visit one day. The same goes for Prince Edward Island, I'm a big Avonlea -fan.

Edited by Sinppu

Do you know off hand if there is a tram service from Hernesaari port that goes to Market Square area? We are looking at purchasing a Helsinki Card and rather than paying the 12E to have mailed to the house, we would pick up at Helsinki Expert office (near Market Square??)

We're going to take ferry to Suomenlinna too and hoping for a little visit to Stockmanns:)

Couldn't you just buy a one day transportation pass? Get on the bus from the pier and buy it from the driver for 7 euros for the day. It covers all bus, tram, etc in the city and covers the ferry to Suommenlinna as well.

I guess if you wanted to guided tour you could get the Helsinki card, but that would mean you'd have to pay for the bus/tram ride from the pier to the TI before you would even pick up your card.

Just an idea....

There are plenty of people of Finnish origin in Eastern Canada, probably exactly because they are so alike :D

Not just Eastern Canada. A large group of Finns migrated to an area known as Finn Hook in the United States - it includes the upper peninsula of Michigan, northern Wisconsin and nothern Minnesota, presumably because the climate there is similar to what they found back home in Finland. Today, that's where the largest number of Americans of Finnish descent can be found in the States. They number about 700,000 currently.

My husband is one of those. His great grandparents migrated to Northern Minnesota and his whole family still lives in the area. Lots and lots of Finns. Lots of Finnish culture and heritage is still around, and a lot of Finnish names. And it's not just Finns, a lot of Scandinavian culture as well with Norwegian and Swedish immigrants too. It's one of the few places in the States where lutefisk is still really popular.

Probably one of the big reasons why Minnesota is known as the State of Hockey. Lots of hockey loving Finns and Swedes in the area!

Very true about Minnesota.:) Finns & Swedes & Hockey Players:) And the snow........ duh, we shovel it, roll in it, throw it, melt it, ride on it, ski thru it, and most of all......... curse it:) All tho this winter????? What happened to it?????

Edited by SweetGG

Not just Eastern Canada. A large group of Finns migrated to an area known as Finn Hook in the United States - it includes the upper peninsula of Michigan, northern Wisconsin and nothern Minnesota, presumably because the climate there is similar to what they found back home in Finland. Today, that's where the largest number of Americans of Finnish descent can be found in the States. They number about 700,000 currently.

My husband is one of those. His great grandparents migrated to Northern Minnesota and his whole family still lives in the area. Lots and lots of Finns. Lots of Finnish culture and heritage is still around, and a lot of Finnish names. And it's not just Finns, a lot of Scandinavian culture as well with Norwegian and Swedish immigrants too. It's one of the few places in the States where lutefisk is still really popular.

Probably one of the big reasons why Minnesota is known as the State of Hockey. Lots of hockey loving Finns and Swedes in the area!

Oh sorry, I got my geography wrong there. I meant the same area you are describing, somehow it became East :confused:

Lutefisk is definitely a sign of Swedish heritage, most Finns can't stand it :D

The other area that has plenty of Finns is Florida. They went for the exact opposite weather :rolleyes:

Love all the talk about Lutefisk here. Have always wondered if the people in Scandanavia like it, or it's some sort of urban myth. We "endure it" here in Minnesota and Lutheran churches all around the state have Lutefisk dinners in the fall, which are MOBBED by the older set. Even though I don't like to eat it, I love the culture of it here in the American midwest.

Sorry to get off track. Let's talk some more about Helsinki.

Edited by SixOneTwo

Love all the talk about Lutefisk here. Have always wondered if the people in Scandanavia like it, or it's some sort of urban myth. We "endure it" here in Minnesota and Lutheran churches all around the state have Lutefisk dinners in the fall, which are MOBBED by the older set. Even though I don't like to eat it, I love the culture of it here in the American midwest.

Sorry to get off track. Let's talk some more about Helsinki.

My husband has told me the stories of the churches and have they have lutefisk dinners and how all the older folks eat it all up.

He says he's tried lutefisk once and he absolutely hated it. Couldn't stand the consistency, taste, anything about it. He said his whole family (all of Finnish descent) hate it as well.

But it's certainly part of the whole Scandinavian/Nordic culture that exists in Northern Minnesota, Northern Wisconsin and the UP.

My husband is originally from northern Minnesota and loves the whole Finnish/Scandinavian feel of the region. He says that if you drive through the whole Finn Hook area, you feel like it's one big Finnish region rather than parts of 3 separate states. You can't distinguish one from the other.

I've been to Helsinki on a cruise before. It's part of why I chose my upcoming cruise because he's never been to Finland and I can't wait to show him what Finland (or at least Helsinki) is like on our upcoming cruise!

Let's all look for lutefisk on the menus when we're dining in Helsinki and return here with our results. :)

Good luck finding a restaurant that serves it in Helsinki :D

I have never tasted it (I simply refused when I was a kid) and I haven't even seen any after the nineties :eek:

In Finland it is rare and only eaten at Christmas really.

We have a lot tastier fish dishes :rolleyes:

I have been looking on the port site and our ship Thomson Spirit is shown as berthing in the west harbour. Is this further from town and is there public transport from this dock. We are only in port for 7 hours so want to make the most of our time.

I have been looking on the port site and our ship Thomson Spirit is shown as berthing in the west harbour. Is this further from town and is there public transport from this dock. We are only in port for 7 hours so want to make the most of our time.
Same dock, same question. It looks like we take the number 16 bus, if I can find the bus stop. I am planning on following a walking tour but I need to get to the center of town first.

Hi Ashby and Bob,

your ship docks in West harbour, but NOT in Hernesaari. Your bus will be 15 or 15A. It goes straight to the Main Railway station. It's not far away at all.

Just to remind everyone: There are many quays in our two harbours. Depending on he quay you'll find your transport.

Edited by Sinppu

I have read somewhere that there may be a NEW Tram that will travel from West harbour (Lansiterminaali) to downtown Helsinki? Have you heard anything about this? Have they suggested the route? Any future date as to when it may be in place? Will it replace or compliment the 15A bus that goes to the Main Railway station? Thanks for your help.