Helsinki Questions? Glad to help!

I have read somewhere that there may be a NEW Tram that will travel from West harbour (Lansiterminaali) to downtown Helsinki? Have you heard anything about this? Have they suggested the route? Any future date as to when it may be in place? Will it replace or compliment the 15A bus that goes to the Main Railway station? Thanks for your help.

Not in the near future. It will take years to build new tram lines. So far buses 15 and 15A are the options.

We're on the Nautica and will be in port on June 20, 2012. It's difficult for me to figure out exactly WHERE that is on the port map. There is no link to click from the Cruise Ship listing and with the language barrier I'm a bit stumped!

We are wanting to take the bus to the Rock Church, I'd like to know ahead of time what bus to take and where it might be available close to where we dock.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Susan

Not in the near future. It will take years to build new tram lines. So far buses 15 and 15A are the options.

Yep, I second that. There might be re-routings during the summer but no news of that yet.

We will dock in west port on the Celebrity Eclipse.

Please can someone tell me exactly where the bus stop is for the 15/15A?

Does the bus stop in market square?

How much the bus costs?

Thank you

It is after the terminal building, on the same side of the street. The ship will be on your right-hand side (or behind you).

The bus goes to the Main Railway station. It is a ten-minute walk or a 3-minute tram ride with 3T to in Eira direction.

A two-hour ticket is 2,50 € or a 24-hour ticket is 7 €.

We're on the Nautica and will be in port on June 20, 2012. It's difficult for me to figure out exactly WHERE that is on the port map. There is no link to click from the Cruise Ship listing and with the language barrier I'm a bit stumped!

We are wanting to take the bus to the Rock Church, I'd like to know ahead of time what bus to take and where it might be available close to where we dock.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Susan

Hi Susan, you are literally ON the Market Place :)

The best way for you to get to the Rock Church is tram 3T from the Senate Square. It is Eläintarha direction and it will take 10 minutes.

You can walk to the Senate Square. Less than five minutes and you can't miss it -if you find the big white church, you've found the trams ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT06VCRa9VnMKeXibg9YHfAPyrsRp0c8duZ8guB6dgGNfiaPU7P

The ticket prices are in my previous post, they apply to the trams as well as buses.

@sinppu:

we'll be with the norwegian SUN at June 24th (sunday) from 8:00 to 15:00 in helsinki

what's nice to see for our first helsinki-visit :confused:

should we walk or take a taxi, a tram (3B/T) or a hoho-bus/ship :confused:

greetings from austria

chipsy57

@sinppu:

we'll be with the norwegian SUN at June 24th (sunday) from 8:00 to 15:00 in helsinki

what's nice to see for our first helsinki-visit :confused:

should we walk or take a taxi, a tram (3B/T) or a hoho-bus/ship :confused:

greetings from austria

chipsy57

Hello!

You'll have a quiet town to yourselves, it Midsummer weekend and most people are still out of town :) Unfortunately this also means that many places are closed.

Hoho is the most expensive option but you'll see everything worth while quite easily. The boats are not good value (but that's just my opinion).

Trams 3B and 3T are also good options. You see almost all the same sights and it's cheaper. There won't be commentary and you'll have to do a bit of research beforehand.

If you like to walk and have a good map, Helsinki is very walkable and all the sights are quite close to the city center.

Taxis are EXPENSIVE. They are reliable, but will set you back a lot of money. Just to get in the car will set you back 9 euros :eek:

If there's anything particular you'd like to see, just ask away.

Thank you for all the information Sinppu. I'm doing a trip to Porvoo first but your info is very handy for what to do with the couple of hours I'll have left in Helsinki afterwards. Knowing what trams to take and where to get them makes planning much easier.

Hello!

You'll have a quiet town to yourselves, it Midsummer weekend and most people are still out of town :) Unfortunately this also means that many places are closed.

Hoho is the most expensive option but you'll see everything worth while quite easily. The boats are not good value (but that's just my opinion).

Trams 3B and 3T are also good options. You see almost all the same sights and it's cheaper. There won't be commentary and you'll have to do a bit of research beforehand.

If you like to walk and have a good map, Helsinki is very walkable and all the sights are quite close to the city center.

Taxis are EXPENSIVE. They are reliable, but will set you back a lot of money. Just to get in the car will set you back 9 euros

If there's anything particular you'd like to see, just ask away.

hi sinppu,

thx for the very fast answer :eek::)

why will be helsinki very quiet at midsummer weekend - where are the people - which places f.e. will be closed :confused:

so walking and tram 3T/3B will be the best options -

what should we visit by walking and

what's nice to see on the tram-tour :confused:

what about the rock church - is it nice to visit - will it be open at "our" day :confused:

greetings from austria

chipsy57

hi sinppu,

thx for the very fast answer :eek::)

why will be helsinki very quiet at midsummer weekend - where are the people - which places f.e. will be closed :confused:

so walking and tram 3T/3B will be the best options -

what should we visit by walking and

what's nice to see on the tram-tour :confused:

what about the rock church - is it nice to visit - will it be open at "our" day :confused:

greetings from austria

chipsy57

Hi!

Midsummer is the biggest happening in the summer for Finns. People are on the countryside or at music festivals. For example we spend ours with about 15 of our friends at a rented villa at lakeside about two hours from Helsinki.

Some people stay in the city but it is traditional to go to the countryside.

This might not affect you very much since the biggest stores should be open and the Rock Church is definitely open since it's Sunday and they'll have service in the morning.

Many people want to see it and find it very interesting.

If you take the tram you'll see Kaivopuisto (a large seaside park with nice views), Main Railway station, National Theatre, Stockholm ferries, the Opera House and Olympic Stadium, Linnanmäki amusement park, Senate Square with our Dom and university main building... you can step off the tram and go take a closer look and then continue with the next tram.

Edited by Sinppu

Celebrity Constellation is arriving on June 6 and is scheduled to dock at the "LMA" Berth in West Harbor. Is it safe to assume all of the information given here on using Bus 15 or 15A is still appropriate to this arrival location?

Also, what is the timing for Bus 15 and 15A? How often do they run?

Thanks!

Hi Ultima,

Thank you for all your help... we appreciate it very much ! ! !

Our ship (Jewel of the Seas) is scheduled for Terminal Hernesaari LHC on the 1st of June 2012. If I am looking at the Bus 15 route map correctly, our terminal would be on the other side of the West Harbor. What would our best transportation option from the pier to the Market Square or to the best location to catch the 3B/3T tram?

Thank you :)

hi sinppu,

fine, so we will walk a little bit around the market place and we will also take the tram 3T/3B - by the way: what's the difference beetween both?

how can we get tickets for the tram? what's the price for the tickets?

can we visit the rock church with one of this trams 3T/3B?

If yes, which station will it be and how long is it to go there?

greetings from austria

chipsy57

Edited by chipsy57

hi sinppu,

fine, so we will walk a little bit around the market place and we will also take the tram 3T/3B - by the way: what's the difference beetween both?

how can we get tickets for the tram? what's the price for the tickets?

can we visit the rock church with one of this trams 3T/3B?

If yes, which station will it be and how long is it to go there?

greetings from austria

chipsy57

3T and 3B are opposite sides of the tram no 3 route.

You can buy the tickets from the driver or from a machine. The latter ones are big, grey and have a small screen and HSL written on it. They can be found on some stops and you can choose to have English as the language.

One-day ticket is 7 euros per person.

Take 3T to Töölö direction, get off at the Sammonkatu stop and the Rock Church is right in front of you. If you leave from the Main Railway station it will take you less than 10 minutes.

WE will be in Helsinki 26 July from 10:00-6:00 was wondering if there was a travel card that we could purchase that would cover all the trams, buses and metro and the ferry to Soumenlinna? If so do you happen to know the cost of the card? Where would we purchase one?

Our ship (Jewel of the Seas) is scheduled for Terminal Hernesaari LHC on the 1st of June 2012. If I am looking at the Bus 15 route map correctly, our terminal would be on the other side of the West Harbor. What would our best transportation option from the pier to the Market Square or to the best location to catch the 3B/3T tram?

Bus #16 goes straight from Hernesaari LHC and LHB to the Market Square.

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/linjat/en/h16.html

WE will be in Helsinki 26 July from 10:00-6:00 was wondering if there was a travel card that we could purchase that would cover all the trams, buses and metro and the ferry to Soumenlinna? If so do you happen to know the cost of the card? Where would we purchase one?

You can buy a 1-day ticket on the bus. Cost is 7 Euro (3.50 Euro for children)

http://www.hsl.fi/EN/ticketsandfares/singleticketsanddaytickets/Pages/17daytickets.aspx

Hi Ultima,

Thank you for all your help... we appreciate it very much ! ! !

Thank you :)

Hi suncityga,

Your bus is NOT 15. Your buses are 14B or 16. You can also walk to a 3T stop, it'll take you 10-15 minutes.

Bus #16 goes straight from Hernesaari LHC and LHB to the Market Square.

http://aikataulut.hsl.fi/linjat/en/h16.html

Hi suncityga,

Your bus is NOT 15. Your buses are 14B or 16. You can also walk to a 3T stop, it'll take you 10-15 minutes.

Ultima and Sinny... Thank you very much ! ! !

Do you know the closest walking location of the 3T Tram stop from Hernesaari LHC?

Have a great day :)

Do you know the closest walking location of the 3T Tram stop from Hernesaari LHC?

Tram stop near Eira Hospital (search maps for "Eiran sairaala"), 1.35 Miles walk from LHC I'm afraid. That tram is not the best way to get from ship to downtown but once in downtown you'll have no problem to find a tram 3B/3T stop.

Hi Sinny,

Thanks for your help all the while. I have few questions would like to ask you. I will dock at Hernesaari LHB from 6am - 5pm. 3 of us will take bus 16 , get the day ticket from the driver and go to market square.

1. Just to confirm with you that the name of the bus stops as follow: Hernesaari LHB is Hernesaaren laituri and Market square is Kauppatori.

2. Where should we go first early in the morning around 8am? I suppose shops are not open yet in Helsinki? Should we go Suomenlinna for a look,

esplanadi park or walk around at market square?

3. I would like to go to Hietalahti Flea market.. is it walkable from Market square?

4. Is it possible just to enjoy the scenery going to Suommelina and come back without going in? Just to save time?

5. I understant that there is special tram during summer where there is some singing inside the tram? I saw it somewhere...

6. I am using tram 3T going for one direction .. will be glad if you can let me know what is the sequence of the following attraction and their stops:

- senate square

-Suommenlina Fortress (By ferry from Market square)

- Temppeliaokio Church (Sammonkatu stop)

- Hietalahti Flea Market (Kauppatori)

-Helsinki Cathderal

-Sibelius Monument

Olympic Stadium (may be tram pass by is enough!)

Hope i have enough time!~

Thanks Sinny!

Edited by meganttt

Is the day ticket good for the bus and tram?

We are docked at at Hernesaari @ West Harbor

We were thinking of taking the 14B bus for a tour of the town, is the 16 bus just as good?

Our plans are to go to the Rock Church, (tram 3T) and Market Square to walk around.