Getting kicked off a ship

Right after the Concordia tragedy, there was a thread on here about recent changes the cruise lines had made as a result. At least one person pointed out how hard-line HAL in particular had become about attending and paying attention during the muster drill. Getting tossed sounds fair to me.

I def agree. It's for people's saftey whether you been 1 time or 100 times. I just hadn't seen that posting.

And people with severe PTSD are also taught to not put themselves in a situation that could aggrevate the condition...if this person was this severe that seeing a hand brought a reaction of violence than a cruise is not a vacation that this person should have chosen to take...there are plenty of vacations that do not involve thousands of other people being in a close proximity. The man may have PTSD but he is responsible for his actions regardless.

No one is going to flame you or say what you said it wrong, but having PTSD does not give anyone an 'excuse' for being an exception to the rule. They removed him form the ship like they should have and it was at his expense like it should have been.

I agree. If Mr. Ramos has PTSD that severe is that unpredictable...then he needs to rethink what type of vacations he takes....not only for the safety of others, but for himself as well.

tracyanns- I hope that you did not take that I was stating that what was done to him was unjust and/or what he did was excusable-that was not my point at all. And you are correct- those who have been properly diagnosed with PTSD understand their limits-to some extent-again this article doesn't go into enough detail to make a judgment call either way.

If you do wrong you should be held accountable for your actions-whether PTSD, ADHD or just plain stupidity.

Happy Sailing ;)

I cannot imagine any behavior that I would have that could get me kicked off a ship.

Punching people??? Really? It would get you put in jail or psych when not on the ship so why should it not get you put off the ship? PTSD or not you cannot go around punching people without having consequences.

This hopefully is taught to most of us in childhood, I can't imagine people getting on a ship and thinking they can just do whatever they want , civil or not just because they are on a cruise and they paid for it.

Selling drugs? Buying drugs?? If you are from the US you can't do this at home, why should you be able to on the ship???

Men beating wives, children, girlfriends?? You can get arrested at home so don't be surprised if you will be put off a ship.

Come on people, common sense!!!

Carole

I agree. I find it very disturbing that one as a cruiser can get punch from people who have some type of disorder. Lots of understanding in regards to military. It must be terrible. But does this condition justifies agression towards other people in public areas?

tracyanns- I hope that you did not take that I was stating that what was done to him was unjust and/or what he did was excusable-that was not my point at all. And you are correct- those who have been properly diagnosed with PTSD understand their limits-to some extent-again this article doesn't go into enough detail to make a judgment call either way.

If you do wrong you should be held accountable for your actions-whether PTSD, ADHD or just plain stupidity.

Happy Sailing ;)

Not at all...

Happy sailing to you as well, just wish I was sailing right now.

Wow, I was justed telling my wife last cruise that I bet I could completely skip the muster drill and no one would say anything. There goes that idea.

As for punch drunk, that is just his story now. I punched him because I did not like the way he looked sounds really bad, so he had to come up with better.

Dude that released the anchor, Damn! That is epic though, almost worth getting kicked off for.

Yeah how does someone "release" an anchor on a cruise ship?? Is there a button somewhere that says "DO NOT PUSH"?? I bet when it happened there was a lot of this: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Happy Sailing ;)

Agree with this post. I was a medic in Vietnam in 1969 and yes, I'm also 61. I do know my limits and dark crowded bars is outside of my comfort level. This guy is either making excuses for his behavior or he felt drinking was more important than his or other's safety.

Yeah how does someone "release" an anchor on a cruise ship?? Is there a button somewhere that says "DO NOT PUSH"?? I bet when it happened there was a lot of this: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ya gotta laugh when you think about the reaction going from the guy that did this to the bridge!

10 to 1 the person that was sitting there probably was reaching for their drink on the bar since this guy sat down in his seat so he could finish it. probably didn't say anything to the guy, or he did and wasn't heard so reached for his drink, hand went by this guy and he reacted before finding out what was what. and to use any disorder, he would have to prove past instances for it to even start to fly.

Agree with this post. I was a medic in Vietnam in 1969 and yes, I'm also 61. I do know my limits and dark crowded bars is outside of my comfort level. This guy is either making excuses for his behavior or he felt drinking was more important than his or other's safety.

And Cushing a lot of people are being diagnosed with PTSD that were never in the military, and do not have it to the extremes that the soldiers in the wars do. It's a popular diagnosis right now, as is Bipolar.

I am not saying that the people getting the diagnosis are not justified in having it, but to what extent is the question.

My nephew, who commited suicide 2 years ago was ex military and had PTSD from his time in the military had severe PTSD, and would NEVER have put himself on a crowed ship, he stayed to himself.

Most of the patients that are admitted to my facility with PTSD are very isolative and do not put themselves in these types of situations either.

I just get angry when people use the diagnosis as a get out of jail free card, those that have a true case of PTSD that will cause them to lose touch with reality or strike out in this manner wouldn't be on a crowded ship. They know the extent of their disorder and learn to live with it, with the help of therapy, situational structure and/or drugs.

JMO Carole

Rules and laws are in place to protect passengers and the cruise line.

The guy that committed the assault CLAIMED he was a veteran and that he had PTSD. Nowhere did I see any of that verified nor does it absolve him from the alledged assault. Maybe he was upset that someone dared interrupt whatever him and his girlfriend were doing in the dark ? :confused:

Rules and laws are in place to protect passengers and the cruise line.

The guy that committed the assault CLAIMED he was a veteran and that he had PTSD. Nowhere did I see any of that verified nor does it absolve him from the alledged assault. Maybe he was upset that someone dared interrupt whatever him and his girlfriend were doing in the dark ? :confused:

But that's just the thing, even if he IS a veteran with PTSD, it doesn't absolve him, you cannot attack people, it doesn't matter what the excuse behind it is. They either get locked up in jail or psychiatric hospitals.

I have a feeling it was more a case of the drinking meanies than anything else. Some just don't play nice with others after a few drinks.

The guy was 61 years old, probably hasn't seen a war zone since Vietnam

One of my best friends was a Marine and was there in 68 and still suffers. there is no time limit. However my friend is smart enough to look where he is sitting before he does.

[quote name='Pennyscandy']My DH a Vietnam Vet suffers from PTSD and you don't sneak up on Vets with this. It's a reflex that never goes away. The cruise line was wrong, wrong, wrong![/QUOTE]

He was not snuck up on - HE sat down on a patrons lap who was already in the chair. The patron could very well also suffered from PTSD - whatever happened was handled the way any other disturbance of its type would have been as far as the guidelines go.

[quote name='Buffalofirsttimer4']It doesn't matter if it was Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq or Afghanistan--shoot it could have been Korea or World War I-unless you have served and been diagnosed with PTSD you don't have a clue!!!! My Dad has it -spent 3 tours in Vietnam-and fights demons everyday of his existence. Flame away if you want but doing so shows your ignorance and just because you have an almost anonymous existence on cyberspace (meaning this forum) you feel the need to be judgmental-shame on you! The article doesn't even tell the full story-we all know that there are 3 sides to a story- his side, her side & the truth.[/quote]
I spent 3 tours in Vietnam. AMEN

[quote name='kyrisong1']And Cushing a lot of people are being diagnosed with PTSD that were never in the military, and do not have it to the extremes that the soldiers in the wars do. It's a popular diagnosis right now, as is Bipolar.
I am not saying that the people getting the diagnosis are not justified in having it, but to what extent is the question.
My nephew, who commited suicide 2 years ago was ex military and had PTSD from his time in the military had severe PTSD, and would NEVER have put himself on a crowed ship, he stayed to himself.
Most of the patients that are admitted to my facility with PTSD are very isolative and do not put themselves in these types of situations either.
I just get angry when people use the diagnosis as a get out of jail free card, those that have a true case of PTSD that will cause them to lose touch with reality or strike out in this manner wouldn't be on a crowded ship. They know the extent of their disorder and learn to live with it, with the help of therapy, situational structure and/or drugs.
JMO Carole[/quote]

I completely agree with this and I retired from the military after 20 years. YOU are an adult, and YOU are responsible for YOUR behavior. If YOU have any personality problem, regardless of whether it is PTSD/psych diagnosis, or caused by a medical condition. It is YOUR responsibly to do everything in your power to keep other people safe from you, during any lapse in judgement/relapse/ or anything else. It is your responisiblity to get treatment, learn as much as you can about YOUR problem, and do all you can to manage YOUR problem regardless of the cause. If you know you have PTSD, than it can no longer be used as an excuse for anything you do. The consequences of your actions are borne by you, and it it YOUR responsibility as an adult, to seek future treatment, until such time as you have YOUR condition under full control.
No one is saying that PTSD does not exist or that it isn't life long, or does not affect your life. It means that you may not be able to partake in certain activities/vacations etc. It is your responsibility to seek treatment and make sure you do not put anyone else at risk. Harming other people is not acceptable. A "valid excuse" for bad behavior is also not acceptable.

Archived