Getting kicked off a ship

Seriously...he punches someone who he didn't even see first and he thinks he should get compensation...what if that had been a child or a woman or an elderly person? I understand the whole PTSD but I think this is a bit much...how DIMLY lit could the area have been?

one would think it's a no brainer kicking people off and publicizing it with a zero tolerance policy.

I actually think in some cases there should be a stupidity charge added onto the cost of getting home...

I am not defending the person who punched the guy, however, unless you have lived with someone who has PTSD as a result of time in a war zone, please do not be so quick to judge.

The guy was 61 years old, probably hasn't seen a war zone since Vietnam

I am not defending the person who punched the guy, however, unless you have lived with someone who has PTSD as a result of time in a war zone, please do not be so quick to judge.

I don't think anyone is judging, just saying that it isn't going to help him with trying to get his expenses taken care of.

He was sitting down in someones lap? Very strange.

That is what I was wondering...but it didn't really say. Did he sit on someone or was someone standing right there or what? I still can't imagine the pool bar being that dimly lit that you wouldn't have noticed any of this...

The only judging you will get from me is he did wrong and was rightly put off the ship.

There is no time limit, for

how long PTSD lasts.

Yes, some people from the Vietnam

War, still suffer from this afflication!!!

YubaSutter, Were you ever even

in the Military???

I cannot imagine any behavior that I would have that could get me kicked off a ship.

Punching people??? Really? It would get you put in jail or psych when not on the ship so why should it not get you put off the ship? PTSD or not you cannot go around punching people without having consequences.

This hopefully is taught to most of us in childhood, I can't imagine people getting on a ship and thinking they can just do whatever they want , civil or not just because they are on a cruise and they paid for it.

Selling drugs? Buying drugs?? If you are from the US you can't do this at home, why should you be able to on the ship???

Men beating wives, children, girlfriends?? You can get arrested at home so don't be surprised if you will be put off a ship.

Come on people, common sense!!!

Carole

I like the fact that the guy was kicked off for not showing up for Muster-now if the cruise ships would stop over selling booze the minute you get on the ship, you might show up. Lets see, do something really serious after you have been drinking for 4 hours....hmmmmmm:rolleyes:

Seriously...he punches someone who he didn't even see first and he thinks he should get compensation...what if that had been a child or a woman or an elderly person? I understand the whole PTSD but I think this is a bit much...how DIMLY lit could the area have been?

Me thinks that maybe he was the one who was "lit" if he didnt know someone was sitting beside him! Cut that man off! :confused:

The behaviour is not tolerated and is clearly laid out in all documents (no matter the excuse and how can half of these excuses be proven). Also it is a clear example as to why you should have insurance (not that it would help in this case) and have a passport. Wow, I am the first one to bring this up - but we already have to have a passport to travel so it has never been an issue for us and is always figured into our cost of vacations.

how long PTSD lasts.

in the Military???

I am not judging but am mindful of the fact that we have only one side of the story. PTSD or not you don't go around punching people.

Wow, I was justed telling my wife last cruise that I bet I could completely skip the muster drill and no one would say anything. There goes that idea.

As for punch drunk, that is just his story now. I punched him because I did not like the way he looked sounds really bad, so he had to come up with better.

Dude that released the anchor, Damn! That is epic though, almost worth getting kicked off for.

how long PTSD lasts.

in the Military???

I have been in the military, and I can tell you right now that PTSD does not give you a freebie. I can tell you right now, that I know of one case off the top of my head where someone got "off" for killing his wife due to PTSD/sleep walking/night terrors. But EXTENSIVE sleep studies and psychological exams were done to make that determination. PTSD or not, it doesn't give you a right to punch someone because they were sitting next to you.

It doesn't matter if it was Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq or Afghanistan--shoot it could have been Korea or World War I-unless you have served and been diagnosed with PTSD you don't have a clue!!!! My Dad has it -spent 3 tours in Vietnam-and fights demons everyday of his existence. Flame away if you want but doing so shows your ignorance and just because you have an almost anonymous existence on cyberspace (meaning this forum) you feel the need to be judgmental-shame on you! The article doesn't even tell the full story-we all know that there are 3 sides to a story- his side, her side & the truth.

He was turned over to immigration officials because he didn't have a passport to fly home. Can we file this story under 'reasons to have a passport' for when anti-pasport folks say 'nothing ever happens'?:rolleyes:

I'm not anti-passport, I'm more "analyze your own personal risk and decide for yourself whether you need one or not", but will say that if you are known to go around throwing punches for no reason then you probably should have one.

"A month earlier a man was taken off Holland America's MS Westerdam ship at Port Everglades for "non compliance" of mandatory muster drill procedures that inform passengers about safety procedures in the event of an emergency." So it's actually true. You can get kicked off by not following muster. Interesting for those that don't go.

Ramos, 61, said he and his girlfriend had just sat down at a table by the pool bar late one night in a dimly lit area of the ship when a hand came out of the dark toward his face. Hand came out of the dark toward his face... doesn't make sense since he was in a dimly lit place with his girlfriend. The article doesn't say there was anything or anyone else there... so where did this hand come from. Sounds like the hole story wasn't given in this case.

"I struck the guy, but it was a reflex action," said Ramos on Thursday of the incident. "I didn't realize this guy was sitting there." Again, how could you not know. If the place has SOME light, then he should have seen the man.

"A month earlier a man was taken off Holland America's MS Westerdam ship at Port Everglades for "non compliance" of mandatory muster drill procedures that inform passengers about safety procedures in the event of an emergency." So it's actually true. You can get kicked off by not following muster. Interesting for those that don't go.

Right after the Concordia tragedy, there was a thread on here about recent changes the cruise lines had made as a result. At least one person pointed out how hard-line HAL in particular had become about attending and paying attention during the muster drill. Getting tossed sounds fair to me.

It doesn't matter if it was Vietnam, Kuwait, Iraq or Afghanistan--shoot it could have been Korea or World War I-unless you have served and been diagnosed with PTSD you don't have a clue!!!! My Dad has it -spent 3 tours in Vietnam-and fights demons everyday of his existence. Flame away if you want but doing so shows your ignorance and just because you have an almost anonymous existence on cyberspace (meaning this forum) you feel the need to be judgmental-shame on you! The article doesn't even tell the full story-we all know that there are 3 sides to a story- his side, her side & the truth.

And people with severe PTSD are also taught to not put themselves in a situation that could aggrevate the condition...if this person was this severe that seeing a hand brought a reaction of violence than a cruise is not a vacation that this person should have chosen to take...there are plenty of vacations that do not involve thousands of other people being in a close proximity. The man may have PTSD but he is responsible for his actions regardless.

No one is going to flame you or say what you said it wrong, but having PTSD does not give anyone an 'excuse' for being an exception to the rule. They removed him form the ship like they should have and it was at his expense like it should have been.

Archived