U.S Direct Program - Awesome!

CruiseIsGood

From http://www.portvancouver.com/media/news_20050422-1.html

April 22, 2005

Port of Vancouver Launches "U.S. Direct" Program for American Cruise Ship Passengers

Vancouver: In an effort to increase business and maintain a leadership position in the Alaska cruise market, the Vancouver Port Authority, in partnership with the Vancouver International Airport Authority (YVR), has launched a new "U.S. Direct" strategic initiative for the start of the 2005 cruise season. The initiative streamlines passenger processing and improves transit times through Vancouver.

"U.S. Direct strengthens our competitive position by making Vancouver a more attractive departure point for passengers travelling to Alaska and demonstrates the value of working with our partners at YVR and government agencies," said Gordon Houston, President and CEO of the Vancouver Port Authority. "This initiative would not have succeeded without the support of Canada Border Services Agency and U.S. Customs and Border Protection."

The U.S. Direct initiative allows passengers arriving at YVR to transfer directly to a same-day-departing cruise ship without clearing customs, and U.S. Direct also works in reverse. Passengers arriving on a cruise and flying out of YVR on the same day disembark the ship and are transferred to YVR without passing through Canada Border Services Agency and immigration at the cruise terminal. Upon arrival at YVR, these passengers enter the airport through a designated cruise ship facility. Procedures are in place to ensure a passenger can be seen by either government authority should the need arise.

"The cruise business is a vital part of our economy directly generating $566 million in economic output and 13,000 jobs each year. We must work together to develop ways to maintain and grow our business," said Houston. "This includes the Cruise BC initiative, a collaborative effort between coastal communities and ports to transform Canadas Inside Passage into a new, world-class destination in its own right."

Enhanced marketing efforts to the travel industry are also part of the long-term strategy employed by the VPA and its partners Tourism Vancouver, Tourism British Columbia and the Vancouver International Airport Authority.

Stephen Pearce, Vice President, Leisure Travel and Destination Management, Tourism Vancouver, states that future success will involve positioning Vancouver as an essential part of the overall cruise experience. "Vancouver is far more than just a port. As a vibrant cosmopolitan city, we offer a breadth of tremendous experiences in a spectacular natural setting. We want our customers to know that their once in a lifetime experience starts with a visit to Vancouver."

Vancouver's 2005 cruise season begins Sunday, April 24, with the arrival of Holland America's Statendam. Two hundred and seventy-three sailings aboard 30 ships are expected this year, affirming Vancouver as a leader in the Alaska cruise market.

The Port of Vancouver is Canada's largest and most diversified port, trading $29 billion in goods with more than 90 trading economies each year. Port activities generate 62,000 jobs in total with $1.6 billion in Gross Domestic Product and $3.5 billion in economic output.

That's great news. We are flying into YVR on May 28th for the 5/28/05 sailing of the Coral. After I booked my flights I had heard there is a long wait to get thru customs and looked into switching to Seattle but couldn't do it.

Let's hope that all surprises/changes end up being this good.

I just came to this board to see if anyone else had heard of this program. My TA had given me a copy of a fax about this. The RCL transfers are $40 pp R/T, which sounds very reasonable to me. You must fly in on the day of the cruise and arrive in Vancouver between 9 am and 2 pm. You also must be flying in on participating airlines (AA, America West, Air Canada, Alaska, Continental, Delta, NWA or UAL). My only question would be if you have the day to kill before your return flight, can you do the Vancouver City Excursion and still do the US Direct thing?

Does anyone know if you need to sign up for this before your flight or just take a different exit from the Terminal? I called Princess and they have no idea about this at the reservations desk, although if its true, they are very happy to hear about it.

I did something similiar 2 years ago when the Vancouver airport was experimenting with this and it worked out great. They changed how they did it last year and it seems similar to last year (probably with a few improvements).

Last year, the only Princess ship that did this was the Coral Princess. The Sun and Dawn arrive on Mondays and the airport isn't as bad on Mondays (thus they didn't participate). I am not sure why the Island Princess didn't participate.

If your ship and airline participate - you will be notified on the ship about this.

Maybe it is not for all ships on all cruise lines.

According to the fax from RCCL, it is for the Vision of the Seas, Serenade of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, and Celebrity's Infinity and Summit.

You must be US Citizens or Legal US Residents.

It also says, and I quote, "In order for a cruise only guest to participate in the US Direct Program, it is strongly encouraged to pre-purchase a transfer in advance in order to be eligible."

It does go on to say that you can purchase transfers from the airport to the pier upon arrival at Vanouver International Airport, but then how would your luggage go directly onto the truck taking it to the ship?

Where can we find information on this. Do you have to take a cruiseline transfer from or to the airport or can you use a cab etc. We are ending our cruise in Vancouver on the Carnival Spirit and flying out on the same afternoon.

First, regarding transfers. They are FROM THE SHIP, and would not be available from your hotel. Besides, you can travel for a way lot less than what the cruise lines charge anyway.

Meanwhile, even though some people will not be able to take advantage of this program, it should contribute to a big reduction in delays. No matter how much time they save on the outbound, I would still travel the day before.

First, regarding transfers. They are FROM THE SHIP, and would not be available from your hotel. Besides, you can travel for a way lot less than what the cruise lines charge anyway.

Meanwhile, even though some people will not be able to take advantage of this program, it should contribute to a big reduction in delays. No matter how much time they save on the outbound, I would still travel the day before.

By one-way, I'm referring to YVR to the port for Serenade of the Seas. I wouldn't be able to use a transfer post-cruise, because we are staying in Vancouver one night.

Quick question....in 2001 when we left Vancouver we had to pay departure tax (not sure what they called it) and take receipt to customs. Does tax still need to be paid since you are going direct to airline terminal?

Chris

Here is a response I received from the Vancouver Port about US Direct:

Thanks for your message. The port of Vancouver and airport are providing the facilities and establishing the process for US direct with the regulatory agencies. The cruise lines are responsible for getting their passengers through the US Direct process. Princess and the other cruise lines operating out of Vancouver are all very interested in implementing US Direct successfully, but their information about it may not have gotten through to the sales/customer service part of their organizations yet.

I would suggest that you contact the people at the Princess Cruises operations office in Vancouver, who have been involved in setting up the program. They should be able to tell you how it will work for their line. I think it would be best to call their office at 604-685-0454, or if you prefer to e-mail them the address is: vancouver@princesscruises.com

Please feel free to contact us again if we can be of any further assistance.

OK one more update. Just spoke with Princess in Vancouver. The process is that you MUST have your bags tagged with the Cruise Line Bagage Tags when you check in at your originating airport. You also MUST be a US Citizen.

When you exit the plane at YVR, you will be directed to a special area and your bags will automatically be redirected to the ship. Once it is confirmed that your bags have arrived correctly, you will be able to board a shuttle and go directly to the Cruise Ship Port.

Hope that helps some of the questions. I did not ask the process for Ship to Airport, but sounds as though it would be similar.

Quick question....in 2001 when we left Vancouver we had to pay departure tax (not sure what they called it) and take receipt to customs. Does tax still need to be paid since you are going direct to airline terminal?

Chris

The tax is now included in the cost of the plane ticket. Even frequent flier tickets tack on this tax and must be paid. It is easier to pay it at the time of buying the ticket as opposed to the airport.

They started doing this last year I believe.

Sounds like this may be a good thing for cruisers. I will still try to avoid flying into Vancouver until I see how this works out. Working the departure tax into the price of the airline ticket is a good idea. Is that deparature tax only for Americans or everyone?

I contacted my TA about this and she said she was recently notified of the program by RCCL. She said we could do a one-way transfer YVR to port for $16/pp. They will send luggage tags that go on prior to boarding in B'ham. She said the notification says it is supposed to save you 2 hrs. It's never taken me 2 hours to get through YYZ (Toronto). Must just be crazy on days that cruises depart.

BTW we are cruising on the Serenade of the Seas.

I contacted my TA about this and she said she was recently notified of the program by RCCL. She said we could do a one-way transfer YVR to port for $16/pp. They will send luggage tags that go on prior to boarding in B'ham. She said the notification says it is supposed to save you 2 hrs. It's never taken me 2 hours to get through YYZ (Toronto). Must just be crazy on days that cruises depart.

BTW we are cruising on the Serenade of the Seas.

Vancouver airport is extremely crazy on cruise weekends! The first time I went through it, I told myself never to go through this again. Thankfully the following year, I was able to take part in this program.

Last year, I was on the Dawn Princess which disembarks on a Monday and we were the only ship in town that day. The airport was actually pleasant compared to 2 years previously. This time, we did not partake in the program (it didn't run on Mondays).

Archived