Hyatt Place North - Critique

Normal 1

Used Hotwire last summer and 'won' Hyatt Place North for 1 night pre-cruise (3/23). Got this for a 'steal' at $73 total cost.

Our flight landed at noon and we called the hotel after getting our checked bag. Was told the shuttle would be there in 30 minutes. Shuttle arrived at 35 minutes. Was not a problem as the weather was fine and we just relaxed in the shuttle area.

Was allowed to check in the hotel early and the desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was fine with no evidence of ants and the air conditioner was not overly loud as others have noted. The rooms are 'suite' style with divided sleep area and lounge area with sofa, wet bar area, fridge, etc.

We walked to the Harbor Shops for lunch and used the Sun Trolley to get to Las Olas. We used the hotel shuttle to head to 15th Street Fisheries for dinner. This was an excellent choice and we had a table outside overlooking the water where a steady flow of folks 'feeding' the fish. We did not see any tarpon. We used the hotel shuttle for our return. The shuttle driver always seemed to take a bit longer to arrive than estimated. Otherwise, the shuttle was appreciated.

The continental breakfast was good. Biscuits/Gravy, fruit, cereal, bagels, toast, yogurt, etc. More than enough selection for pre-cruise.

We opted to 'taxi' to the port rather than use the shuttle ($7/each). Desk Staff called taxi for us and they were there in less than 5 minutes. Cost of taxi to port (very light traffic) was $9.60 + tip.

The pool area was nice (we did not use) and the water was warm when I dipped my toe in. A hot tub would have been nice.

All in all, this hotel was an excellent value for the money. I would not have thought so had I paid the 'rack' rate which ran from $199-$299. We did not experience any of the 'horror stories' others have noted on Trip Advisor, etc. Hotel is under new management and they are running things 'by the book' (according to the shuttle driver).

Location for pre-cruise was great with access to Total Wine, Publix Grocery, and lots of dining available within walking distance.

Thanks for the post, we sayed there a couple of years ago and had no problems and we booked pre/post cruise in July. Was their a cost for the shuttle from the airport?

How was the Fisheries for dinner?

Thanks for the post, we sayed there a couple of years ago and had no problems and we booked pre/post cruise in July. Was their a cost for the shuttle from the airport?

How was the Fisheries for dinner?

No cost for airport shuttle. 15th Street Fisheries was less than 2 miles. The hotel has a shuttle (free) for use within 5 miles. We really enjoyed the Fisheries. We opted for the casual outside dining rather than fine dining offered inside. You are welcome to order off either menu if you dine outside. We had Clam Chowder, Conch Fritters and a combination plate (fish, calamari, shrimp). The Clam chowder was excellent as were the fritters. I've had better calamari and the fish and shrimp were good. Very generous portions (we split all and still didn't finish).

They have live entertainment on weekends that was nice (guy on guitar playing a variety of songs). The people watching from the steady flow of boat traffic stopping to eat was very good!!

Enjoy your trip.

No cost for airport shuttle. 15th Street Fisheries was less than 2 miles. The hotel has a shuttle (free) for use within 5 miles. We really enjoyed the Fisheries. We opted for the casual outside dining rather than fine dining offered inside. You are welcome to order off either menu if you dine outside. We had Clam Chowder, Conch Fritters and a combination plate (fish, calamari, shrimp). The Clam chowder was excellent as were the fritters. I've had better calamari and the fish and shrimp were good. Very generous portions (we split all and still didn't finish).

They have live entertainment on weekends that was nice (guy on guitar playing a variety of songs). The people watching from the steady flow of boat traffic stopping to eat was very good!!

Enjoy your trip.

You mean the hotel will bring you back from Las Olas or beach area?

Do you know the hours they run?

You mean the hotel will bring you back from Las Olas or beach area?

Do you know the hours they run?

Believe they run until 9:30 or 10:30. Nice option... Be aware you may have to wait 15-30 minutes for shuttle to get there after you call for them.

The Sun Trolley ($.50/trip or $2.00 for all day) also goes to Beach Area, Galleria Mall, and you can transfer to the Los Olas trolley. It's a doable option as well but they stop running in early evening. Also, the Sun Trolley does not pass near the 15th Street Fisheries (but the water taxi does). Lots of options for transportation in FLL!!!

Believe they run until 9:30 or 10:30. Nice option... Be aware you may have to wait 15-30 minutes for shuttle to get there after you call for them.

The Sun Trolley ($.50/trip or $2.00 for all day) also goes to Beach Area, Galleria Mall, and you can transfer to the Los Olas trolley. It's a doable option as well but they stop running in early evening. Also, the Sun Trolley does not pass near the 15th Street Fisheries (but the water taxi does). Lots of options for transportation in FLL!!!

Thanks, I learn something new every day ...:)

The hotel is lovely with all the services mentioned in the previous posts. However, neither of us could sleep with the loud, very loud air conditioner fans. I had to move one night into the living area and sleep on the couch. I even used ear plugs.

I don't understand when they remodeled this hotel why they didnt put in a better system.

All in if it doesn't bother you, stay there. The pool is great, the shuttle service is great, the breakfast is great, the internet is free (can run boarding passes too) and the staff couldn't be better, but for us a good night sleep is what we want and needed. We got it on Valuetrips.com so the rate was reasonable, but we will not be staying there again.

We stayed there last month for our cruise. Will agree the ac was rather noisy, but other than that will stay there again if the price is right.. We left our car there for the week we were gone, with no problem. It is supposed to be $5 per night to leave car, but they never charged us for it. Had to wait about 1/2 hour for shuttle when we got off the ship.

Archived