Fort Lauderdale Pre and Post Cruise w/Photos: Gallery One/Restaurants/Las Olas

Host Faith

Well, this was an absolutely brilliant review with excellent photos of Fort Lauderdale areas of interest for tourists. I live here, but loved seeing great pictures of places I recognize. Well done!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. You're so fortunate to live in the area, it's beautiful! DH and I are trying to figure out a way to move to Florida or Georgia sometime in the future, probably years from now. We'll see! In the meantime, I'm planning to do the same type of review for my time in South Beach in September. Can't wait!

Chrystal, thank you so much for the kind words!

I absolutely LOVE the Surfcomber! It feels like a really expensive resort. I haven't stayed there since it was the Doubletree but I cannot imagine it has fallen off at all since I walk by it all the time.

MTV used to headquarter there the two or three years the VMAs were in Miami and P Diddy used to throw his parties at their pool. It's right next door to The Delano so make sure around 4PM you throw on your sarong and heels and head over to their pool bar for mojitos!

The Surfcomber is probably my favorite of the moderate hotels in South Beach. Since so many SB hotels are so swank, moderate is luxury anywhere else.

The last time we stayed in South Beach, the Surfcomber was boarded up and we stayed in the Ritz Plaza next door which is soon to reopen as SLS, redesigned by Lenny Cravitz AKA Cinna, LOL (for Hunger Games fans). Surfcomber looks like a very affordable and nice beach hotel...now if only they would issue passes to the Delano pool...

The last time we stayed in South Beach, the Surfcomber was boarded up and we stayed in the Ritz Plaza next door which is soon to reopen as SLS, redesigned by Lenny Cravitz AKA Cinna, LOL (for Hunger Games fans). Surfcomber looks like a very affordable and nice beach hotel...now if only they would issue passes to the Delano pool...

Haha! That would be nice, wouldn't it? We actually changed our minds about the hotel. We're looking at the Crowne Plaza Z Ocean hotel now. Once DH saw the terrace suites I knew that would be his #1 choice. Looks like a nice place, and it looks like it's a little closer to the places and restaurants we want to visit.

Haha! That would be nice, wouldn't it? We actually changed our minds about the hotel. We're looking at the Crowne Plaza Z Ocean hotel now. Once DH saw the terrace suites I knew that would be his #1 choice. Looks like a nice place, and it looks like it's a little closer to the places and restaurants we want to visit.

The location of the Z is awesome and prices are decent. The music on their website is really creepy though!:eek:

The location of the Z is awesome and prices are decent. The music on their website is really creepy though!:eek:

LOL!!!!! You know I think I went through the Crowne Plaza site the first time and it didn't have the music. I just checked out the actual Z Ocean's site...and YES, this music is VERY creepy! :confused::( What in the world?......?! And as a note, the prices on the actual Crowne Plaza site are much lower. I was shocked at the prices on the Z Ocean site- they're almost double. :eek:

I was wondering if you had any suggestions for breakfast on a Sunday morning? Looking mainly at Las Olas Blvd. We have a flight for 2:40 PM after our Allure cruise this fall. I thought it would be nice to go to Las Olas and have breakfast and do a little bit of shopping before we took a taxi back to the airport.

LOL!!!!! You know I think I went through the Crowne Plaza site the first time and it didn't have the music. I just checked out the actual Z Ocean's site...and YES, this music is VERY creepy! :confused::( What in the world?......?! And as a note, the prices on the actual Crowne Plaza site are much lower. I was shocked at the prices on the Z Ocean site- they're almost double. :eek:

I was wondering if you had any suggestions for breakfast on a Sunday morning? Looking mainly at Las Olas Blvd. We have a flight for 2:40 PM after our Allure cruise this fall. I thought it would be nice to go to Las Olas and have breakfast and do a little bit of shopping before we took a taxi back to the airport.

Really creepy, like a horror movie, right?

Las Olas is a great place for breakfast. The Floridian is a very popular diner with big portions, and Le Bonne Crepe serves a more delicate breakfast. Cheesecake Factory has a breakfast or brunch menu but you probably have one in your hometown. Another option to consider is the O-B House on SW 2nd St. It just opened last year and people are raving about this place. It is a pleasant 1 mile walk to the Las Olas area from there, either along the riverwalk or on the streets. I don't think any of the downtown shops open before noon, so you might as well just put on your walking shoes and enjoy a nice stroll.

Really creepy, like a horror movie, right?

Las Olas is a great place for breakfast. The Floridian is a very popular diner with big portions, and Le Bonne Crepe serves a more delicate breakfast. Cheesecake Factory has a breakfast or brunch menu but you probably have one in your hometown. Another option to consider is the O-B House on SW 2nd St. It just opened last year and people are raving about this place. It is a pleasant 1 mile walk to the Las Olas area from there, either along the riverwalk or on the streets. I don't think any of the downtown shops open before noon, so you might as well just put on your walking shoes and enjoy a nice stroll.

Very good to know. I just checked out the O-B House's menu and it looks great. Depending on our flights (the evening flight looks cheaper right now) we might rent a car for the day to explore a little. If so we could give that place a try. Thank you!

Archived