Single on Alaska cruise?

crusinbanjo

Mrs Banjo & I will be cruising on the Diamond in September, meeting up with friends from Australia. Anyway, my sister expressed some interest in joining us on the cruise and asked me to look into pricing for her. Since her husband won't travel, she would likely be traveling alone. When I looked at the princess web sight, the cost for a single was slightly higher than for 2 people booking the same cabin. Any suggestions about what is possible for securing a cabin for a single?

Mrs Banjo & I will be cruising on the Diamond in September, meeting up with friends from Australia. Anyway, my sister expressed some interest in joining us on the cruise and asked me to look into pricing for her. Since her husband won't travel, she would likely be traveling alone. When I looked at the princess web sight, the cost for a single was slightly higher than for 2 people booking the same cabin. Any suggestions about what is possible for securing a cabin for a single?

Call Princess or your TA for a true quote. typically a single should be just under the costs of a double. I ran into that last year.

Cruising as a single is not cheap as every room is priced and sold as double occupancy. The only advantage is that you get credit for 2 cruises when you sail as a single. Maybe your sister has a friend that would like to go?

It's unfortunately but singles have to pay 100% supplement for exclusive use of a cabin and there is no way around this as cruise sell cabins based on 2 to a cabin. Either she'll have to finds someone to travel with, you book her in your cabin as a 3rd berth or she pays the supplement are her only options. I know that isn't fair, but that how the cruise lines work and I don't see their policy changing anytime soon. However, every cruise line is different and the single supplement can be as low as 25% depending upon the sailing date, itinerary, and cruise line. You should consult a travel agent for assistance for single pricing.

Call Princess or your TA for a true quote. typically a single should be just under the costs of a double. I ran into that last year.
I agree. Call your TA for pricing. A good TA that books a lot of Princess cruises will have discounted/group fares and you can often save 10-20% over Princess prices. That said, I've cruised as a single for years and pay anywhere from 150-200% of the per-person double occupancy rate. How much of a premium depends on the cabin category. No matter what, a single shouldn't pay more than a couple in a cabin because the single doesn't pay the port and government fees twice. It's possible that if a couple is already booked and a single checks pricing even the next day, prices could be different. Double check everything.

We are booked on the 5/30, Island Princess Southbound Whittier to Vancouver and my sister in law is going with us as a single. She was quoted a very good single price on a guaranteed obstructed view room which she took because she knew she would spend a good deal of time in our mini suite anyway. Then she was quickly upgraded to a much nicer outside unobstructed view at the same price.

Check around and really look for a good price. Even as a single, you might find something and in our case I think cruising early in the Alaska season helped. Dave

Archived