Lighthouse/Preserve and Palancar Beach

jratly

We have been to Cozumel many times and seen most everything but have never been to the lighthouse and the preserve there or Palancar Beach. Is it practical to do both of these in one day? Will we be able to get a taxi to the lighthouse and then on to Palancar or is it better to rent a Jeep? Does anyone know how much a taxi would cost? Is there snorkeling near the shore at either beach? (I know you can take a boat at Palancar.) Which place has the better food for lunch? Is the beach nice enough in the lighthouse/preserve area that we don't really need to go on to Palancar? Thanks for any help!

Very easy to do both. I'd go to Planacar first, a $20 cab ride for up to 4 people from the two southern cruise piers. Then once you've been there a while and had some sun and lunch and a couple of drinks, grab a taxi and tell the driver you want to go to the lighthouse then back to the cruise port. You'll have to pay $10 or so per person, including the driver for entrance to the eco park/ lighthhouse. A quick stop at the crocodile overlook and a climb up the lighthouse will take about 15-20 minutes. You'll probably have to negotiate with the driver on the fare but I'd say probably around $30 from Palancar to the lioghthouse to the pier. The lighthouse is very close to Palancar. Don't let the driver telll you it's $20 to the lighthouse from Palancar. It should only be $20-$25 from the lighthouse to the piers. Again these rates are for up to 4 passengers.

Archived