Bottom fishing in cozumel

Did not do the bottom fishing through RCI but did deap sea fishing in Cancun in May of last year and we caught quite a selection including a marlin. Lots of Dorado, a couple sheephead and the Marlin. It was a half day charter and we had 6 people on the boat who take turns for each fish.

Just bring a cheap pole and some basic tackle and fish off the pier or the dock.

You can find stuff from the buffet to use as bait.

My adult son did this on our last cruise throughout the southern Caribbean and got fussed at whenever he pulled out his fishing rod inside the cruise port. In St. Martin, the guard came over and kept saying "No, no, no" and made him pack up. In St. Lucia, they told him it interferred with boats and made him pack up. And, had some friends that were scuba diving in Bonaire not too far from the ship and the ship's radar picked them up - they got picked up by the marine police - not sure how the fishing from the balcony would work out ;)

Did not do the bottom fishing through RCI but did deap sea fishing in Cancun in May of last year and we caught quite a selection including a marlin. Lots of Dorado, a couple sheephead and the Marlin. It was a half day charter and we had 6 people on the boat who take turns for each fish.

Just booked this for our May 12th cruise and I am sooooo excited.

Bottom fishing from you balcony.:D

I wish.

In January. Did the 1/2 day tour and that was plenty. Only 7 of us in the boat. One guy got sick & didn't fish at all. I nearly lost it myself. :eek:

It was pretty windy and the boat was rolling quite a bit in some good-sized swells. I don't usually get seasick at all but the rolling of the boat while watching my rod tip set me off I think. The trick is to watch the horizon or the shore, something steady you can focus on.

Don't get me wrong, I had a good time & everybody else did as well (OK, not Mr. Boat by Rail guy lol).

We caught a fair number of fish and I actually caught the largest - see attachment.

One thing, though. It is nothing like deep-sea fishing. You just hang a hook with some bait over the side & jig it up and down a bit.

Hopefully it will be less windy when you go. I'm sure that would have made a difference to me (and maybe the other guy).

Have fun.

HPIM1047.jpg.78e0262535233a7fab61b0a2244ea486.jpg

Archived