Attention all Salty Dogs (seasoned cruisers) what is packed in your carry- on?

plumeria

2 years ago, going to Barcelona to cruise w/ RCCL, the airlines lost my luggage in New York:( and it never caught up with me till I had returned home! In my carry on that trip - black bathing suit- extra undies and a t-shirt - allergy meds- novel - NO EXTRA shoes- I travel in a good silk blend jersey suit- black-bathing suit and suit pants became "formal wear"! Buying clothes on board or in Europe(when you are expecting your luggage any minute now- not fun!) I returned home with said suit, bathing suit- new sandals- new sundress - and new apprecaition for mix and match! On the trip - 14 days w/o clothes a real pain, (great travel mates shared sweaters, shawls, t-shirts, casual pants and jewelry ! Cool! :cool: ) NOW!- a good story! And I pack my carry on carefully! LOL :)

RCCL X5 Carribean and Europe

Celebrity Sept. 2005 Alaska (will pack, warm jacket, jeans and t's - SHOES (boots?) and a silk "good" dress just in case luggage is delayed again!) Maybe I'll really travel light!

Our two rolly-cases that fit in the overhead: one gets a special six-pack carrying box for wine, and since we've started to fly in a day early, each case always contains all of the essentials for making the transition from bed to suitable-in-public the next day (the complete set of toiletries, cosmetics, etc.) including a complete change of clothes. That saves us from having to even open the big suitcases at all during the overnight, and assures we've got that stuff with us no matter what happens.

A brief case and purse cover all documents, jewelry, and whatever electronics are coming along for the ride. If a longish trip (11 ~ 14 nts), the notebook computer often comes along.

... a lot of the above things and my hair straightening iron and a corkscrew...

Caroline

Are you sure that it's OK to pack corkscrews in carrryon bags? We've had two corkscrews confiscated at security.

Cruisen80- shouldn't be a problem. Cruise lines are generally less restrictive than airlines. Some people with rolling luggagee even disembark with all their luggage to get a jump on an early flight upon return, so the general rule seems to be "if you can carry it, you can bring it."

Are you sure that it's OK to pack corkscrews in carrryon bags? We've had two corkscrews confiscated at security.
There may be a disconnect between "airline carry-on" and "ship carry-on". You'll lose your corkcrew on the former, but not the latter. Anything that's legit to have on the ship at all (including corkscrews and Swiss army knives) is fair game for your shipboard carry-on -- and as noted above, that's defined as whatever you can roll/carry up the gangway.

Archived