SeaDream II - Nov. 6-13

DisneyJen

Oh but think of the joy we will bring to the shops on the islands:p I tell DH I am doing my part for the economy. Actually right after 9/11 I booked a long weekend to Disney World since President Bush told us to travel:p

Thank you for your wonderful offer! We are staying at the new Hampton Inn and Suites near the PBI airport. Let's talk!

You can contact me via email at JSL6 at Yahoo dot Com:D

Thanks for the update FT:D DD has created a stuffed animal with her favorite aunt while we have been here in Rochester ... thank goodness we are flying first class:p

You are the smartest of all ... escaping on SD for part of furniture week!!

Were you at the Greensboro Classic last weekend?

Off to watch our beloved Penn State Nittany Lions!!

Just to keep us on topic ...

FT are you packed yet?

DisneyJen --

Bet you are celebrating today -- what a victory for Joe Pa (but I do still hate those uniforms)

No, not packed yet - but heading off to the bookstore today to stock up on trashy novels (oops, I mean lightweight fiction). Two weeks without reading a contract or projections seems like heaven.

I keep thinking of things to put in my suitcase and I'm close to having to check luggage - but never having changed planes in Madrid and having no history with Air Iberia, I'm wondering if that's safe - 12 days on board without luggage doesn't seem to be the best risk to take.

Nope, didn't attend the GGCO this year - in the middle of Sept. 30 closings.

Have a safe trip back.

By the way, our oldest will be working for Disney World starting in Jan. 06 (a college work/class program at Disney University) so it looks like instead of Sea Dream in the spring, we'll be doing Disney World instead (not sure I can handle another spring break down there, but . . .Mickey v. unlimited champagne and service on SD - I know my preference but the rest of the family gets a vote, occasionally).

FT

I tried posting this morning FT but the server ate my response:mad:

Lots of happy Penn Staters to say the least:p Dh is now wondering if we are going to be able to see the Penn State games while we are on the cruise in three weeks.

So what books are you taking with you? I tend to get into themes while we are cruising ... I am always on the look out for mysteries and what not set in the Caribbean or on a cruise ship for vacation. Got to love that light fiction.

My folks who are in Prague and Poland this week post river cruise have taken Air Iberia on other cruises. They had a good experience.

Is your oldest part of the college program at Disney? It is excellent!

So what books are you taking with you? I tend to get into themes while we are cruising ... I am always on the look out for mysteries and what not set in the Caribbean or on a cruise ship for vacation. Got to love that light fiction.

Jen,

I was just in a bookstore a little while ago. If you look for a book by Moon (not the author, but the publisher) on the Virgin Islands, you will find a section in the back that lists several works of fiction that are Caribbean-related. They also have lists of non-fiction references, and many other types of publications. I'll do a quick search to see if I can get any more details on the book.

Here it is: Moon Handbooks: Virgin Islands 2 Ed (Paperback). There is a section called "Booklists"

Bill

Since I have the habit of reading a book while sitting on the shelf of the pool or standing in the very shallow part of the SD pool, books have to be paperpacks that I am willing to discard at the end of the cruise. No water damage to my hard backs or the classics (Atlas Shrugged, etc)

Mostly mysteries -- but also lightweight. Has to be easy to read after a relaxing massage or while listening to the Ipod on thh Balinese beds, or even shamefully, after a couple of glasses of champagne (my husband thinks that everyone on this Board has to believes that I'm a lush and/or wild woman based on my continuing references to the never empty glass of champagne!).:cool:

FT

Tell your DH that you are in very good company FT:p

I take paperbacks with me as well as I love to read in the pool as well ... I have mastered standing in our pool or sitting on the steps in the pool while reading magazines and books.

I think I need to visit Amazon today to look for some books!

• 2 weeks later...

Jen,

Have you received your documents yet? Are you disembarking at Havensight or at Crown Bay? I see that there are three other ships in St. Thomas that Sunday, so I wasn't sure.

Regarding bags, I can get a 9:30 am ferry from Charlotte Amalie to Caneel, or the 1:30 pm. There is an 11 am from Red Hook, but why bother if I don't have to? ;)

So, my options are to ask the SeaDream to watch our bags until 1 pm, or have a car hold them until the ferry time. Of course, the preferred method would be to get the 9:30, if we can. But, if DW wants to shop in Charlotte Amalie ...

Do you recommend having a taxi hold the luggage, meeting him at the CA ferry dock?

Hi Bill!

Sorry for the delay ... DH and I are at the Disneyland Hotel this evening after 3 days in Vegas. We move to Disney's Grand Californian tomorrow and then to San Diego ... I fly home on Sunday.

We did receive our docs but they don't say if we are docking at Havensight or Crown Bay. I suspect we will be at Havensight.

Take the early ferry from Caneel and take a taxi to the dock and drop you bags right at the ship. They will hold them pre and post cruise. We did this last year and it was not a problem. They have pile for those disembarking and embarking.

We will make plans for lunch! I think Ctbjr has an earlier flight ... but let's talk.

Off to dinner!

Guess I better chime in here. We too have always had good luck with SD holding our bags for us. And yes, we do have an early flight so sadly we won't be joining the rest of the group for lunch. We've done Sunday lunch (pre-cruise) at Gladys's in STT several times and we recommend that as a good place to dine in STT on Sunday afternoon.

Also, our experience is that the location at which the ship docks is generally not determined much in advance and is subject to a number of factors. Thus we are always prepared for either location. I do think, Bill, that we'll be able to find out during our cruise and we can post that information here for you.

Hope that helps. SD2 and FT leave Tenerife tomorrow for the Crossing, btw. Can't wait for her first report from the ship.

It seems odd that there isn't a set location for embarkation. How is one to know where to go? I will be able to look out the window of the Crystal Palace B&B in the morning, and if I don't see the SDII in Havensight, I'll know we need to go to Crown Bay. But, what if you were coming in from the airport? or from Red Hook? I guess you just tell the driver to drive past one location on the way to the other.

Jen, We stayed at the Grand Californian last year. Isn't it wonderful? Did you look for the hidden Mickey's? We liked the mission style so much that we decided to decorate our house in a similar style. Where did you stay in Vegas?

ctbjr1309, sorry you won't be able to join us for lunch. We'll hoist a rum punch (or Carib, or Red Stripe, or Mojito) in your honor. :cool: I hope I don't feel too bad that you guys are done with your cruise, and mine is just beginning. ;)

And, we're going to Caneel after the cruise. My wife has informed me that we will take the 9:30 am boat to Caneel, so no need to store our luggage anywhere. I hope our room isn't ready when we get there, so we can explore Cruz Bay a bit.

Bill

Bill,

The cabbies all know where the ships are. When we arrive at the STT airport, we just tell them Sea Dream and they get us to the right place.

Thanks for the thought about hoisting something for us at lunch. As a hint, I'll tell you that when we're on SD in the Caribbean it doesn't take long at all for me to acquire the nickname "Mr. Red Stripe". Sadly, with our cruise starting in WPB, I have the feeling that I'll be "Mr. Amstel Light" this time. Oh, well....

I promise that we won't feel bad about being done with our cruise when yours is just beginning if you won't feel bad sitting at home thinking of us on Nov. 6! It's difficult to leave the ship but the good thing is I always have our return visit planned so it's not quite as painful as it might otherwise be.

ctbjr,

It's a deal! Last year, we went to Gladys' Restaurant for lunch when we were in St. Thomas on the QM2. My wife ordered a Red Stripe, and the waitress said, "oooooh! You a bad girrrrl!";)

Looking forward to getting my documents this week,

Bill

Hello all!

If you used a travel agent SeaDream will send your documents to the agent. Typically SD sends the documents to the travel agents 30 days before the cruise.

We loved the Grand Californian ... reminded us of the Wilderness Lodge more than the Grand Floridian in WDW.

We stayed at New York New York in Vegas. I didn't love it but then again I wasn't paying for those two nights. We saw the Blue Men Group and "O." Loved the Blue Men but thought "O" was too long.

Archived