Single Parent with Solo Teenager

TxDiamondCruiser

Me and my 16 yoa are traveling on the Magic out of Galveston. Im concerned that there will be nothing for me to do by myself without feeling awkward and concerned about my teenager's safety while allowing her freedom to participate in the teen group. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would advise you to choose a large table at dinner, with tablemates. That's a great way to meet folks, and there will generally be other kids at the table, too

I wouldn't worry too much about her "safety"....but you do have to have some rules! Like, never going to ANYONE'S cabin...ever! And, No one comes to your cabin unless YOU are there! She will need to physically check in with you between activities...that way, you'll see if she's ok...and can give her the "go ahead" to do the next thing. Common sense rules!

As far as you....meet folks! Talk to them at dinner, at the pool, at activites (if you participate)...no be a "stick in the mud"! Everyone is there for a good time...and if you approach folks in a friendly manner, they will respond! You may want to check your Roll Call to "pre-meet" some of the folks on your sailing!

Yes, it's a Texas ship. 1/2 the people on board will be Texans, and they tend to be a friendly lot.

Don't forget your permission to travel letter from the other parent. If you're not sure what that means, just surf downward or wait a day or two and someone will start a new thread on the topic

She'll be all set. Get her to go to the teen club the first night to meet her new friends.

You need to go play trivia- take dance classes- do the murder mystery lunch- all the group activities. My friend who is a single mom took her daughter on a cruise and did that stuff and had a great time.

DD and I did a cruise this past summer. One rule that I had was she had to go to dinner with me every night. She had rules ( like the ones above) plus check in times and a curfew ( which was earlier than the ships:rolleyes:). I met people at the pool, trivia and other activities. You get to pick how much socializing you do and how much ME time you get.

Thanks to everyone who replied. What great ideas! She and I did a cruise together when she was 6 and I had no problem meeting wonderful people. Im sure it will be the same way this time. Have found some "good' rules here on the boards and my dd is very mature and follows rules well. I am sure we are both going to have a great time.

I cruised in December with just my kids and LOVED IT. We spent a lot of time together and considerable time apart. I met another single parent and we actually booked to cruise this December in ajoining suites. You will always meet someone and are sure to have a great time.

I also enjoy alone time, so I took advantage of same of that as well

I hope you have a relaxing cruise! If it were me, I would take my Kindle and just read by the pool and swim, etc, swim, eat, nap, swim, read, eat. You get the idea! I hope you meet someone fun to talk to.

I am considering The Magic too because we live in Texas and it is easy to get to

Archived