4j and noise from waves crashing?

Emmabelle

I have a 4J cabin booked for the end of June on the Freedom and it is NOT handicap accessible, just want to make sure I don't start a debate about that! ;)

I have until the end of today to decide if I should change cabins because our full payment is due tomorrow.

I'm concerned that we may be able to hear waves crashing against the side of the ship. Anyone have any experience with this? We're in 7203. We definitely could hear the waves last May when we were in a porthole cabin on the Valor, but I thought being so high up that this wouldn't be an issue again?

I'm concerned that we may be able to hear waves crashing against the side of the ship. Anyone have any experience with this? We're in 7203.

I was in 7201 on the Liberty (same ship pretty much) and it wasnt an issue at all. You are high enough up.

I was in 7201 on the Liberty (same ship pretty much) and it wasnt an issue at all. You are high enough up.

that's what I was thinking...but then I read some reviews that people said they could hear the crashing and for some it was unbearable? :eek:

If this was a regular hotel, I could always check out, but I'm kind of a caged rat on a cruise ship and if it's bad there's really nothing I'll be able to do about it for eight nights. ;):)

that's what I was thinking...but then I read some reviews that people said they could hear the crashing and for some it was unbearable? :eek:

If this was a regular hotel, I could always check out, but I'm kind of a caged rat on a cruise ship and if it's bad there's really nothing I'll be able to do about it for eight nights. ;):)

4J is one of our FAVORITE categories. I am sure you already know about the deck in front of your room. :o If not, let me know and I will fill you in.

I heard one single bang one night. That was it and it wasnt enough to wake me. I barely heard it as it was. (thought we hit a sailboat or something.) We had great weather the whole trip though. I dont know how it is in storms. If others in that same room said it was unbearable I am guessing the waves were huge.

Honestly though, for peace of mind, switch now while there are still cabins available. While I firmly believe you will be ok but its evident by reports you have read that it can be really bad. I say don't take the chance.

Most of the complaints that I've read over the years involve cabins down on the Main and Riviera decks, closer to the water line.

My BIL's 1st cruise was on another line but they were on deck 1 all the way forward and it really bothered him.......no so much my sister, but he was really un-nerved by the sound...........

4J is one of our FAVORITE categories. I am sure you already know about the deck in front of your room. :o If not, let me know and I will fill you in.

that was why I was doing it, because my son who's in the cabin next door to us would love it! :D Maybe I should just leave him there and move us? Just kidding...

I heard one single bang one night. That was it and it wasnt enough to wake me. I barely heard it as it was. (thought we hit a sailboat or something.) We had great weather the whole trip though. I dont know how it is in storms. If others in that same room said it was unbearable I am guessing the waves were huge.

Honestly though, for peace of mind, switch now while there are still cabins available. While I firmly believe you will be ok but its evident by reports you have read that it can be really bad. I say don't take the chance.

I would think it would just be an issue in a high wave situation too, just not sure if I should take the chance. I fear being on the cruise and saying why didn't I heed the warnings? :D I really didn't see many cruisers complaining about the noise, but I guess if even just one experienced it, it could happen...

that was why I was doing it, because my son who's in the cabin next door to us would love it! :D Maybe I should just leave him there and move us? Just kidding...

LOL.....you are going to get the most amazing photo's from that deck pulling in and out of each port...:o We NEVER had an an issue with any noise, although I have seen it written that people hear the door slam getting to that deck. I guess it does happen if the wind is strong.

Most of the complaints that I've read over the years involve cabins down on the Main and Riviera decks, closer to the water line.

My BIL's 1st cruise was on another line but they were on deck 1 all the way forward and it really bothered him.......no so much my sister, but he was really un-nerved by the sound...........

that was my daughter on the Valor, I had them booked in a 1a with a porthole on Riviera deck while we were in an inside cabin across the hall. Our daughter proceeded to sleep in our room the whole cruise because of the noise. That wasn't much fun, but at least we had the option of doing that. ;)

LOL.....you are going to get the most amazing photo's from that deck pulling in and out of each port...:o We NEVER had an an issue with any noise, although I have seen it written that people hear the door slam getting to that deck. I guess it does happen if the wind is strong.

ughhh...I want to keep the cabins!!!! What to do...what to do...:confused:

I agree- the nose is mostly from below. (including the anchor dropping.)

with all that being said-- the front of the ship will get the most motion .

If you hit rough waters you will feel that motion all through out the ship- but more so being on the direct front.

Shouldnt be too wavy in June. You going Eastern? Western?

Eastern itiniery. I'm actually trying to get in touch with my travel agent to possibly change to a 6C cat instead. It's only $150 more per cabin. Maybe it will buy me peace of mind? ;)

Be careful with those 6C (for 150 more ) you will be under the galley and could be much noiser then crashing waves.

take a cabin under the dining rooms-- they are carpeted- like 2431

I had replied to another thread that I was on the Magic and the noise was LOUD. Even the room steward was surprised. It was 7205 and the seas were not rough. Someone else said the same about the Magic, so maybe it's either that ship or class.

There wasn't a sofa or chair either, if that's important, tho I'm not sure if that's the case with all of these cabins. This was also not an HC cabin.

I was in 7202 on the Valor, which is also a sister ship, and I heard no noise. It is kind of bumpy up there though, if you get sea sick. I liked the room, it gave us a window at an Inside price. But I would prefer to be more mid ship now, as I do get motion sickness.

I'm out at sea and hear the ocean! This is an outrage!

Hearing the ocean itself is a beautiful sound for most and I bet the OP as well.

Metal making banging sounds (waves slapping hull) isnt as peaceful though.

There is a huge difference.

I love it when I'm sleeping in my boat's cuddy and hear the waves. Most of the sounds you hear at sea are the waves off the hull of the ship or from the wake caused by the hull and propellers. I love the sound of H2O in the morning!!!:p

I'm out at sea and hear the ocean! This is an outrage!

Next: I'm on a plane and see clouds

okay, be nice! lol

When we had the porthole cabin it was a little more than hearing the ocean, it was bad and I would never book one again because of it

I had replied to another thread that I was on the Magic and the noise was LOUD. Even the room steward was surprised. It was 7205 and the seas were not rough. Someone else said the same about the Magic, so maybe it's either that ship or class.

There wasn't a sofa or chair either, if that's important, tho I'm not sure if that's the case with all of these cabins. This was also not an HC cabin.

I just rebooked and moved us to what my son would call steerage, deck 1, ov cabins 1397 and 1399. We always sail on deck 1 or 2 anyways, so why change now? ;):p

P.S. I love your chococat avatar, I have a magnetic chococat on the back of my car. lol

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Be careful with those 6C (for 150 more ) you will be under the galley and could be much noiser then crashing waves.

take a cabin under the dining rooms-- they are carpeted- like 2431

I booked onto deck 1 because I was afraid of galley noise. One of our prior cruises we were under it, can't remember which one, but I do remember hearing noise from it. ;)

I just rebooked and moved us to what my son would call steerage, deck 1, ov cabins 1397 and 1399. We always sail on deck 1 or 2 anyways, so why change now? ;):p

P.S. I love your chococat avatar, I have a magnetic chococat on the back of my car. lol

Thanks everyone for the advice!

I'm sure that whatever decision you've made it'll be right for you:)

I've been on deck 2 many times in PH cabins 2216 and 2217, so I definitely know what waves hitting the hull sounds like and it wasn't this.

I know a bunch of people that swear by the Riviera deck, so stick with what you're comfortable with.

*If I could find a magnetic choccat I'd buy one!!*

Enjoy:)

hearing the ocean itself is a beautiful sound for most and i bet the op as well.

Metal making banging sounds (waves slapping hull) isnt as peaceful though.

There is a huge difference.

amen!!

*If I could find a magnetic choccat I'd buy one!!*

Enjoy:)

got mine in Epcot in the Japan store. :D My husband said "do you really need that? and I said "yes I do!" (Afterall I have two black cats at home that I'm obsessed with.) lol

Archived