Opinions on AQ sparkling wine vs. alternative bottle

Leo Jay

I'd like opinions on the complimentary sparkling wine provided in AQ cabins, wondering whether we should opt to exchange it for a red or white, as reportedly is often possible. I've heard various reports that the standard bottle is mediocre to "awful", though it's been unclear exactly what that means to those posting. Is it more on the sweet side, or more on the dry side? There are well-regarded Cavas that can be had for under $10, so I'm not sure why X wouldn't be able to provide comp that is barely palatable.

:)

Suggest you mix with the orange juice and make delicious mimosas -- then the quality of the bubbly won't matter so much -- everyone's tastes are different, some like the sparkling wine, some don't -- but if they won't exchange it, that's one way to enjoy it on board.....

I agree 100% with cruisestich. I personally do not like it, but mixed with orange juice it is passable as a mimosas. I have tried in the past to exchange it, but that has not been too successful. Most of the time we make new friends and give it away

It seems like they in recent times have no longer been permitting people to exchange the sparkling wine for something else; might not be 100% consistent - so you certainly can try, but do not get your hopes up.

The complimentary sparking wine over the past few years has been Bouvet Brut wine, bottled under the private label of Celebrity Vintages but also marked as Bouvet Brut. You can Google this wine. Some review it as decent (click here). It retails for around $12/bottle and is listed on Celebrity's wine list at $29/bottle which is the expected markup to the restaurant type pricing charged on board. It is a sparkling wine from France but not from Champagne region. It is very drinkable, tastes fine, and compares nicely to other sparking wines in this price range. It is not nearly as nice as a nicer Champagne but doesn't cost as much either.

A few years back they were giving away bottles of a terrible wine that made the current offering seem high-end by comparison. It not only tasted terrible but it was so cheap it was difficult to peel the thin foil from the lid to open it. The current offering is much better than that was.

IMG_8125.jpg

IMG_8129.jpg

I also found the sparkly to be decent. Didn't love it so much I am trying to track down bottles here back home, but we had no difficulty consuming the bottle (without mixing it with OJ). We were at a sail-a-way party, so we wound up bringing it to dinner the first night. Having a bottle of sparkling with dinner on the first night was a nice way to kick off the cruise.

The picture above shows that it's a 'blanc de blanc' which means it's made only from Chardonnay grapes. This does give a sweeter taste than some of the more popular champagnes, which are often mostly pinot noir grapes. I did a blind champagne tasting of some of the most popular brands with friends recently. We all picked the 'blanc de noirs' (all pinot noir grapes) as our favourite.

You have to count in the holiday factor though. I find most things taste great once on board!

Both times we were in Aqua Class and dined in Blu.

On Equinox May 2011: Asked to trade bottle, was told it was worth X? amount of dollars and wine I wanted (a riesling) to buy was $4 more. So I was charged $4 plus 15% gratuity (on the $4) onto our seapass.

On Silhouette November 2011: Asked to the trade bottle, I was given a credit of X? amount of dollars and was billed for the Beringer White Zinfandel which was the same price as the sparkling wine. This was all done in one transaction and since they were the same price a gratuity was not added. However; I did tip the Sommilier extra at the end of the cruise.

Thanks very much to all for the information (with particular thanks to LSimon for yet another generous post)!

Great to know that the sparkling wine is not (any longer) as unpalatable as had been reported by some. Although I *do* love a sweet grape, so I may have to convince the GF to let us trade up to a Moscato or a Riesling in Blu (if available and allowable).

:D

Thanks again!

Archived