So frustrated with Carnival and the pre-paid gratuities!

bankonus

Heck its only money and that money goes to pay the slaves that cook your dinner make your bed, keep your ship afloat.

Maybe you cant afford to cruise?

Really? Tips go to the people that keep the ship afloat? I didn't know the tips included the captain...:rolleyes:

Seriously did you even read the original post?

You do, however have the option to have them removed, back to the origional price, or whatever you like, when you board the ship. Just keep in mind, that the staff works hard for these tips :)

I thought I read somewhere that pre paid gratuities can't be adjusted or removed? There will be no tips showing on their on board account to adjust. Maybe I read a something wrong, but that is what I seem to remember reading.

I was told that although I had booked prior to the new tipping amount and had requested to prepay tips, but did not have my cruise paid in full that the extra tips were added. Didn't seem right to me, but I just went with the flow since the money is going to the crew.

I get the frustration... We bought all our shore excoursions, months ago... For 10 people, at every port...

Yesterday, I get an email, saying tht if you book your excursions early, they will give me 10% off... I called, the only way to get the 10% if to CANCEL the excursions, wait for a refund, then rebuy them... STUPID.

And since I changed banks, the account that I bought them on is not available for a refund, so im just out of about 150 dollars...

Carnival has some dumb policies sometimes. I get your frustration...

You do, however have the option to have them removed, back to the origional price, or whatever you like, when you board the ship. Just keep in mind, that the staff works hard for these tips :)

What's the coupon code?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I thought I read somewhere that pre paid gratuities can't be adjusted or removed? There will be no tips showing on their on board account to adjust. Maybe I read a something wrong, but that is what I seem to remember reading.

tips can be adjusted regardless of how they take it from you.

YES....but it seems that prepaid tips can be adjusted...UP....when prepaid at the old rate

and that is why the OP is angry and I do not blame them

Carnival raised the tips...but OP had prepaid them at the old rate...now Carnival is saying they can't take advantage of early saver price drop unless they "raise" their prepaid tips to the new standard

To me this is a matter of principle and it is stupid of Carnival to not realize this and "do the right thing"

Heck its only money and that money goes to pay the slaves that cook your dinner make your bed, keep your ship afloat.

Maybe you cant afford to cruise?

Carnival should pay them a decent wage that's covered under the price of the cruise and go back to the true meaning of a TIP. If I demand you give me a gift, then it's not a present.

So what is the new suggested tip rate per day per person ?

11.50 AND they earn every penny of it. Thanks everyone for seeing my original post for what it was. I clearly said I tip the full amount AND hand out money the last night of the cruise. It's about the inconsistency of Carnivals customer service. Happy sailing to all of us!!! We're here because we love it.:)

also...and dare it be said...even here on these boards..if a poster even hints at reducing or worse yet...actually only leaving the auto tips and NOT giving extra:rolleyes: they are vilified.....

I have never reduced tips, nor have I ever reallocated them. I have always left exactly what Carnival has recommended I leave. It takes all the worry out of it and let's you actually just enjoy the cruise.

I do tip a couple bucks for room service and have added a small amount to single soda/coffee purchases.

I was told that although I had booked prior to the new tipping amount and had requested to prepay tips, but did not have my cruise paid in full that the extra tips were added. Didn't seem right to me, but I just went with the flow since the money is going to the crew.

Not true in my case!

I chose the pre paid option in September and was told they were fixed at the old rate by CCL email after they had increased. (grandfathered)

I have an ES booking and was told that the pre paid tips were part of my deposit of $500, but after learning more on here about ES the tips, couldn't have been in the deposit price.

They did show up on Total booking price from word go.

My final payment was only a few weeks ago and Total price was not changed to a higher amount for either tips or tax. so in fact both tips and taxes were grandfathered at the old rate.

This may be because I also chose at time of booking to have final payment taken out of my Credit Card automatically?

Den

Not true in my case!

I chose the pre paid option in September and was told they were fixed at the old rate by CCL email after they had increased. (grandfathered)

I have an ES booking and was told that the pre paid tips were part of my deposit of $500, but after learning more on here about ES the tips, couldn't have been in the deposit price.

They did show up on Total booking price from word go.

My final payment was only a few weeks ago and Total price was not changed to a higher amount for either tips or tax. so in fact both tips and taxes were grandfathered at the old rate.

This may be because I also chose at time of booking to have final payment taken out of my Credit Card automatically?

Den

Same here. You must have gotten the agreeable people at Carnival. I always got 10 different answers depending on when I called and who I spoke with. It's funny because we have 5 rooms booked, and when we got early saver reductions on all 5, they would change certain things to some of the bookings and leave others alone. This, I think, is because several different people handled the early saver reductions. Therefore, they decided if it changed or not.

[quote name='bankonus']Same here. You must have gotten the agreeable people at Carnival. I always got 10 different answers depending on when I called and who I spoke with. It's funny because we have 5 rooms booked, and when we got early saver reductions on all 5, they would change certain things to some of the bookings and leave others alone. This, I think, is because several different people handled the early saver reductions. Therefore, they decided if it changed or not.[/QUOTE]

As I am not from USA a lot of your cruise specials and promos are new to me because we only ever have a true sale price when the cruise is not filling up quick,Travel agents here have always been able to give OBC as an incentive to get people in because they buy block cabins at discounted rates and can also sell cabins at cheaper rates than the cruise line. By booking direct with the cruise line its usually just a free category upgrade for past guests . Taxes and fees have always been added at final payment so you pay the higher rate if any at final payment and the reason some pay early to avoid tax increases.

There seems to be so many sales and promos going on with CCL that I dont think the people working in the sales rooms even know the rules themselves?
This seems to show through with the inconsistencies of members claiming price drops that some get others dont. Now seems the same with pre paid tips and taxes.

Den

Sometimes I think people do NOT even read the first post in the thread....they just like to post anyhow

This thread did NOT ask your opinion on Carnival workers tips vs wages...nor did it ask what YOU tip...

The OP prepaid tips at the old rate....and now is being told that in order to take advantage of Early saver price drops they must UP the tips
[SIZE=3][B]
and frankly I think that is
very unfair of Carnival[/B][/SIZE]

Was that grandfather clause posted in writing or just stated over the phone at the time of booking. The major problem here is that there seems to be a lack of communication at Carnival, some know the policy and some do not.

[quote name='skiman1']Was that grandfather clause posted in writing or just stated over the phone at the time of booking. The major problem here is that there seems to be a lack of communication at Carnival, some know the policy and some do not.[/QUOTE]

Mine was sent via email I presume because of me being outside USA but the email was to inform me of the raise in Graduates by Carnival across the board,the foot note said I was exempt from the increase because I had chosen the pre paid option.

This also applied to the raise in tax from $97 odd to $112 odd.

And one reason I will not bother claiming any small price drop as it may not be worth the trouble given I may have to pay extra tax and tips.

Den

[quote name='Dmetrius']Heck its only money and that money goes to pay the slaves that cook your dinner make your bed, keep your ship afloat.
Maybe you cant afford to cruise?[/quote]

Calling the crew slaves is wrong(emotionally and definitely not politically correct in USA) and mean spirited on so many levels and to add insult to injury, suggesting the original poster who is shelling out big $$$ for a wedding for their daughter can not afford the cruise. That was not the point of their comment. In the end, it is not a big amount of dollars but to me, it would be the principal. Before Dmetrius started posting, there were lots of posts telling people to prepay their tips before the daily tips went up. Most thought it would lock in the tips-obviously, it did not if you had ES and the prices went down on cabins. Also, on ES, if the prices go down, sometimes you see an increase in taxes and fees. Just happens.
Either way, I am sure the wedding will be perfect and a cruise everyone will remember for all their lives-very special!

[quote name='treasure4two']Calling the crew slaves is wrong(emotionally and definitely not politically correct in USA) and mean spirited on so many levels and to add insult to injury, suggesting the original poster who is shelling out big $$$ for a wedding for their daughter can not afford the cruise. That was not the point of their comment. In the end, it is not a big amount of dollars but to me, it would be the principal. Before Dmetrius started posting, there were lots of posts telling people to prepay their tips before the daily tips went up. Most thought it would lock in the tips-obviously, it did not if you had ES and the prices went down on cabins. Also, on ES, if the prices go down, sometimes you see an increase in taxes and fees. Just happens.
Either way, I am sure the wedding will be perfect and a cruise everyone will remember for all their lives-very special![/QUOTE]

I think Dmetrius was only pointing out that the crew is paid far below regular US wages and maybe we shouldn't grouse about a few extra dollars here and there for them. His questioning the financial soundness of the OP though was over the line.

If I use a coupon at a restaurant I tip on the total + the coupon discount so as not to penalize the wait staff.

I wouldn't waste my time making multiple phone calls to Carnival.... you can adjust your gratuities on the ship if you deem necessary. :)

[quote name='Surfwench']I think Dmetrius was only pointing out that the crew is [B]paid far below regular US wages[/B] and maybe we shouldn't grouse about a few extra dollars here and there for them. His questioning the financial soundness of the OP though was over the line.

If I use a coupon at a restaurant I tip on the total + the coupon discount so as not to penalize the wait staff.

I wouldn't waste my time making multiple phone calls to Carnival.... you can adjust your gratuities on the ship if you deem necessary. :)[/quote]

The crew is paid very well if you use the standard of their home country, which is their standard. In any event it's not the amount that's in question it is CCL's inconsistent customer service answers to what should be a simple question. I probably wouldn't take the time with multiple phone calls, but then again I could see me doing it as a matter of principle.

[quote name='Mulege']Cheapskate![/quote]

Another one that misses the OP's point.

This thread is about Customer Service...not tipping amounts.

I find Carnival Customer Service frustrating to deal with and I almost always politely ask my first question, listen to the answer, and ask to speak to the supervisor or manager. The answers just don't always jive with what is written here or, most important, on the Carnival site.

The OP should have had tips locked in as paid. There isn't even a question about that as far as I am concerned. Whether or not they give more in tips or not is a totally different conversation.

For that other fellow...anyone who thinks cruise workers are slaves should not be cruising...period...

Bankonus...I haven't read this entire string as it was going all of the place so don't know if anyone answered your question. For my latest cruise I submitted my first ES request about 6 months out. I didn't get the amount I was expecting and called my PVP who had to go to her "mentor" to find out why. It turns out when you submit an ES request your booking is essentially replaced by a new booking therefore I was now under the new tipping guidelines (and, of course, taxes and fees went up also).

So, I didn't get the $160.00 I was expecting but closer to $60.00 (I can't remember the exact amounts). I received the amounts I was expecting when I submitted my next 5 ES requests though.

Anyway, it is what it is. I didn't want to expend a lot of energy on this and I did end up with $760.00 in my OBC for the two of us. What I didn't get was why the taxes went up yet the price of the cruise went down. I thought that was pretty creative.

We really need a head banging smiley to use around here..

some people apparently do NOT read the OP , they are soooo eager to chime in and brag about how much they tip, they pull every thread off topic

The fact is that "replacing" the prepaid tips booking is really sneaky

it is poor CUSTOMER SERVICE...AND THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT

:eek::confused::eek::confused:

I need a head bang smiley here

Archived