Port Security Delay

Ryancoke

In Fort Lauderdale we took the hotel shuttle to get to the port and when we got there we were delayed for quite a while before entering. There were only 5 or so vehicles in front of us but the delay was 20 minutes at least. The guard turned back a vehicle and was having quite animated discussions with other groups. When he got to us it went smooth though. We were thinking it was good for us we didn't take a cab and sit in line with the meter running.

Is this a frequent occurance? Has anyone hired a cab and gotten a fixed rate so as to avoid surprizes?

They are trained to check people and paperwork extra carefully when anyone enters the port.

You could just breeze right through or you could be delayed when personnel ask additional questions.

You just don't know.

We had a fixed $20 rate on the Emerald in November when we had to stop at Total Wine on the way from the airport to the ship.

I'm just curious why you think a cab driver should have to pay for the problems with security delays. It may result in adding $5 to the fare

At no time have I said nor implied a cab driver should have to pay anything. A cab driver could evaluate the risk and charge accordingly or even decline. The hotel shuttle service did eat the costs associated with the delay but presumably understood the risks going in and considered that in their fixed rate. I disagree a 20 minute wait would cost only $5 in increased taxi fare although I understand you did say 'may'.

Why would you speculate as to my motive? How wonderful it is when one asks a question here and instead of an answer gets questioned and/or criticized. I see it frequently. I wonder how many people have questions they refrain from asking because of this?

Why would you speculate as to my motive? How wonderful it is when one asks a question here and instead of an answer gets questioned and/or criticized. I see it frequently. I wonder how many people have questions they refrain from asking because of this?

Unfortunately this happens too often.. :(

Sadly, how right you are. I have asked a couple of questions and received a few "brick bats". I have just asked another and so far have had (in the main) helpful suggestions.

I am sorry I cant answer your question, but hope you do find the help you asked for!:)

Unfortunately this happens too often.. :(

Sadly, how right you are.

Yep... you need a thick skin to post on CC. :( Best advice is to go ahead and ask your question and ignore the adverse comments, eventually you will get reasonable replies.

In Fort Lauderdale we took the hotel shuttle to get to the port and when we got there we were delayed for quite a while before entering. There were only 5 or so vehicles in front of us but the delay was 20 minutes at least. Is this a frequent occurance? Has anyone hired a cab and gotten a fixed rate so as to avoid surprizes?

We had a fixed $20 rate on the Emerald in November when we had to stop at Total Wine on the way from the airport to the ship.

We've never had that kind of experience - but normally when we go there are long line-ups of vehicles trying to enter the port so they process them a fast as possible. Maybe it was a slow time for you and the guards were just showing their 'authority'??

As for the flat rate - I've read (on the Florida boards) that this is technically illegal in FLL and people should report this to the taxi commission. Not totally sure though.

For the most part people on here are very helpful. A small minority stand out as otherwise. Someone browsing could get a wrong impression of how people on a cruise might behave. Overwhelmingly people are nice once on board.

We've never had that kind of experience - but normally when we go there are long line-ups of vehicles trying to enter the port so they process them a fast as possible. Maybe it was a slow time for you and the guards were just showing their 'authority'??

As for the flat rate - I've read (on the Florida boards) that this is technically illegal in FLL and people should report this to the taxi commission. Not totally sure though.

Interesting that flat rates might not be available there.

As far as the guard goes he seemed so stressed I couldn't believe he could keep it up without blowing something.

Interesting that flat rates might not be available there.

You got me thinking about where I read this so... did some checking and this is from the Broward County taxi commission -

As a passenger in a Broward County taxicab, you have the following rights

(based on the Broward County Motor Carriers Ordinance):

• To pay for the transportation based exclusively on an operating taximeter and based strictly on the rates approved by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners, as posted in the vehicle

I deleted the info that was not pertinent to this conversation. From this it does seem to me that flat rates are not allowed - however, I see no problem negotiating a flat rate in advance if the driver is willing - it's his license.

You got me thinking about where I read this so... did some checking and this is from the Broward County taxi commission -

As a passenger in a Broward County taxicab, you have the following rights

(based on the Broward County Motor Carriers Ordinance):

• To pay for the transportation based exclusively on an operating taximeter and based strictly on the rates approved by the Broward County Board of County Commissioners, as posted in the vehicle

I deleted the info that was not pertinent to this conversation. From this it does seem to me that flat rates are not allowed - however, I see no problem negotiating a flat rate in advance if the driver is willing - it's his license.

I agree. He was gracious enough to do that for us while we shopped so the last thing I would do is report him. :eek:

Now if you take another prior cruise that we were on last year on the Emerald we were taken the loooong way to the Renaissance pre cruise. He said it was construction but I now my way around town and as we passed the main intersections that we should have turned on there was no construction or traffic backed up anywhere. Needless to say we protested the $25 fare and paid him $15. Now thats a time that I may complain but we never did.

Hubby addressed him by his name on his herdic and he changed his tune. :cool:

I agree. He was gracious enough to do that for us while we shopped so the last thing I would do is report him. :eek:

Now if you take another prior cruise that we were on last year on the Emerald we were taken the loooong way to the Renaissance pre cruise. He said it was construction but I now my way around town and as we passed the main intersections that we should have turned on there was no construction or traffic backed up anywhere. Needless to say we protested the $25 fare and paid him $15. Now thats a time that I may complain but we never did.

Hubby addressed him by his name on his herdic and he changed his tune. :cool:

Good on you !! :)

Archived