tax on italian cruise

Due to a change in European Union legislation any cruiseline that sales from an EU port that doesnt call at a none EU port can be charged the VAT from the country of departure on all purchases onboard.

Currently Spain is the only country that has adopted the legislation into its own law.

Italy at present has no interest in adopting the legislation so you should be fine.

I dont understand why the cruise lines dont home port in France, Italy and Greece and drop Spain until they drop the law. They could still use it as a port of call just and wouldnt be charged the fees.

Or they could do what alot of other cruise lines do and make a short stop in Morocco or Tunisia which would stop the tax

Have a great cruise

I dont understand why the cruise lines dont home port in France, Italy and Greece and drop Spain until they drop the law. They could still use it as a port of call just and wouldnt be charged the fees.
Maybe it's because you pay the tax and not them.

Last year cruised with rci on gos out of palma. We were charged 8% tax on all purchases. Are there similar taxes on cruises starting from italy on rci?

No, it is only on cruises from Spain (that do not call at a non-EU country) that you have to pay this.

No, it is only on cruises from Spain (that do not call at a non-EU country) that you have to pay this.

I just booked the Liberty of the Seas out of Barcelona for October. It is a 5 port itinerary stopping in France and Italy before heading back to Barcelona. will this be subject to the extra charge? I really would like some clarification on this. We like our cocktails, and if we are going to be charged an additional fee on top of the cost, and tips I may look to change our cruise. Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this to me in simple terms.

We're on Serenade out of Barcelona RT in May, and one of the ports is Split, Croatia. I've learned that while Croatia isn't currently a member of the European Union, they are scheduled to join in July, 2013. I've called RCI twice to find out if the VAT tax would be applied on our particular cruise, and both times they didn't know what I was talking about. After putting me on hold, one nice fellow came back and explained to me that if the tax was added, we wouldn't see it on the bill. It's automatically added to the original price of the particular item you're purchasing. The drink that you're buying is 8% more expensive than normal, plus 15% tip. I never did get an answer if it will be applied on my cruise. Anyone know the answer? Will it apply if we make a stop in Croatia? Is that RCI's way of getting around the tax, by adding Split to the itinerary?

I just booked the Liberty of the Seas out of Barcelona for October. It is a 5 port itinerary stopping in France and Italy before heading back to Barcelona. will this be subject to the extra charge? I really would like some clarification on this. We like our cocktails, and if we are going to be charged an additional fee on top of the cost, and tips I may look to change our cruise. Thanks in advance to anyone who can explain this to me in simple terms.

Hi Shanafan

Yes you will be charged 8% sales tax ontop of any drinks orders or purchases from the shops onboard

Archived