Eurodam vibrations update

hehny

This was my first time traveling the eurodam. I thought I would just offer my own report on the vibrations having come off the march 31st sailing. I had already booked the cruise by the time I discovered the Hal board on cruise critic so I wasn't aware of the issues.

The vibrations are quite apparent, particularly since the seas were so calm. I was situated on deck 7, midship and it was quite strong. I left a bag on my bed and watched it move. Think an electrical toothbrush. The tv and pictures kept shuttering. I felt it on all decks. we did have an isolated storm one night and I thought deck 11 was going to erupt.

I love the rolling nature of the seas and this spoiled it. I also found it hard to relax with my body constantly shaking. I am not prone to sea sickness so that is not the issue.

Obviously, everyone has a different tolerance. But I had read posts that decried the vibes and just wanted to offer my take. It is definitely noticeable and I would not recommend this particular ship in part because of this issue.

I was on Eurodam just one week before you. It was intermittently noticeable whenever we ate at the Lido or Tamarind (read: midships) while at speed. We didn't notice it when docked at port or moving slowly.

It was a bit rougher than a car, but less than a train. Perhaps on par with a bus or diesel truck. After a while I stopped noticing it; fortunately, our cabin was near the bow.

Norwegian Spirit is known for its vibrating MDR. We used to sit and watch the chandelier, wondering if it would fall. Don't mind a little vibe but NO WAY could I stand a whole week of it.

Thank you very much for posting this. I have a FCD I want to "put" somewhere so I guess it will be on Westerdam or NA this February and definitely not Eurodam.

Interesting to hear about the NCL Spirit.

We liked that ship a lot, but the food in the MDR was so bad we ate in the Lido the whole week...so we never noticed the shaking chandelier. LOL.

Interesting to hear about the NCL Spirit.

We liked that ship a lot, but the food in the MDR was so bad we ate in the Lido the whole week...so we never noticed the shaking chandelier. LOL.

I love her, too. Three cruises, first one great, and then it was like being on a slide- food quality being the most obvious thing to plummet. She is indeed a beautiful ship. I thought the MDR food was okay- except for the desserts. Oh well, that is the NCL reality. Cheap cruises but serious issues all the way around.

Edited by Seago2

I was on the Eurodam in Sept.2011 and had a midship cabin. Yes, I noticed it but it was not a big deal. One of my colleagues is on the ship right now. It will be interesting to hear what she says. I wouldn't hesitate booking the Eurodam again. I can't say the same of all HAL's ships.

I'm surprised that Hal has not figure out how to fix the vibration problem on the Eurodam.

I am sure HAL knows what the problem is, but I suspect that the Eurodam will need to be taken out of service and fixed in dry dock. Does anyone know when Eurodam is up for it's next drydock???

We sailed Eurodam this past January--it seems the vibration issues were first reported here from early to mid December sailings. We did notice in the Lido in the midship area. We were on deck four very far up and did not feel it in the cabin--inlaws on deck 5 a bit further back did not feel it there either.

I doubt we would have noticed it if we had not read about it here. Am looking forward to cruising her again next winter. The itinerary, ship, and crew are awesome!

Just off eurodam this morning. We were in 5058, and had only about 15 minutes of vibration about three times at night. We did notice it quite a bit at Tamarind for most of both meals.

We will sail this ship again in the forward area. I also spent a lot of time in cabanas and Explorations which are both fwd. Maybe location matters?

Linda N

Just off eurodam this morning. We were in 5058, and had only about 15 minutes of vibration about three times at night. We did notice it quite a bit at Tamarind for most of both meals.

We will sail this ship again in the forward area. I also spent a lot of time in cabanas and Explorations which are both fwd. Maybe location matters?

Linda N

I noticed it in the Tamarind as well and that was pretty much it.

I was seriously looking for that vibration. Lol

It was very intermittent and did wake me up. Am thinking it might be a stabilizer? We had incredibly smooth seas for most of trip but had high winds last night and not much waves. Waves seemed to be on Thursday night.

I was on the March 31st sailing of the Eurodam. I had read about the vibrations before hand. I notice it only twice, once when I was in the Crows Nest as we were entering the the port for St. Thomas and once when we were leaving St. Thomas. It was an absolute none issue for me.

I also was on the 3/31 cruising. I had a very forward cabin on deck 4 and never really noticed a "vibration" problem. I felt vibrations when we were getting ready to leave ports, never felt anything at the Tamarind or in Lido Cabana. This was only my third cruise and I just thought everything I felt was because of being on a ship? :D

I too was on the March 31st sailing. We were in cabin 6107. I was aware of the vibration comments and will honestly say I never felt them. We did not eat in the Tamarind though and that seems to be a place people tend to feel it. I mentioned to my husband that people had been commenting on the vibrations and his response was "Really? I do not feel anything!". So, once again...everyone must feel things differently.

I have no idea if this is the problem, but I read the vibration descriptions here to my husband. He was in the Coast Guard and worked in the engine rooms on both the Morgenthau and the Munroe. He said it sounds like one of the shafts is out of alignment or bent. The shaft descends from the bottom of the ship midship and extends back toward the stern and holds the propellers. If its out of alignment or bent it will cause a vibration that will be heard/felt mostly midship to stern. It will have to be drydocked to repair. You might find this site interesting

http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/marine/articles/68586.aspx

Edited by NoobCruise

I have no idea if this is the problem, but I read the vibration descriptions here to my husband. He was in the Coast Guard and worked in the engine rooms on both the Morgenthau and the Munroe. He said it sounds like one of the shafts is out of alignment or bent. The shaft descends from the bottom of the ship midship and extends back toward the stern and holds the propellers. If its out of alignment or bent it will cause a vibration that will be heard/felt mostly midship to stern. It will have to be drydocked to repair. You might find this site interesting

http://www.brighthub.com/engineering/marine/articles/68586.aspx

ok, scratch that. Apparently the Eurodam has a different system called an azipod so the vibration shouldn't be from a shaft.

• 3 years later...

Just completed a 12 day Baltic capitals cruise on the Eurodam, June 1 to June 13, 2015. The vibration was noticeable from the first day throughout the entire cruise. Whether sitting in the Crow's Nest or lying in bed in the stateroom on Deck 6 forward, or sitting in the dining room, the vibration could be strongly felt. When I got home I googled "Eurodam vibration" and was surprised to find this thread which shows that the vibration problem has been in existence so long. I've cruised several times and never experienced this vibration on other ships.