Best Way to Get to Caye Caulker

tlund

I have a friend that lives on Caye Caulker. I would like the chance to visit him on our cruise to Belize. I asked for his suggestion on how to get there and he said to hop the ferry. Being born in Belize, he is very laid back and doesn't comprehend the difficulty in tendering to the main island, catching the ferry, getting to his place on Caye Caulker, getting back to the ferry, catching the ferry and then tendering back to the ship, all with time restrictions and schedules. Any suggestions on the best way to get there to allow us time to actually visit on the island and make the trip worthwhile If I had to book something through a tour director to get to Caye Caulker, I'd be willing to do it.

That's really the easiest way for Caye Caulker...ferry/water taxi. Yes unfortunately you'll not have a lot of time on the caye, You might be able to hop a Tropic Air flight, if you can get off on a early tender. Even then you'll only have a couple of hours before catching a return flight. Wade the Gringo might assist a bit with updated times.

I'd second the Coral Breeze Tours as a way to get to & from Caye Caulker & they leave from the Tourist Village & they drop you off at the Paradise Motel where your friend could come & meet you.

They will also get you back to the Tourist village on time !

Look up thier web site for the details.

Bill in FL

I was going to take one of the water taxis to CC until I found out both the outfits are now owned by the same company. To me, it seems the service may become a bit "spotty" as far as coming and going. So, I am now booked with Coral Breezes to go there for the day. Yes, it is going to cost a bit more, but I want to get back to the ship on time!;)

I was going to take one of the water taxis to CC until I found out both the outfits are now owned by the same company. To me, it seems the service may become a bit "spotty" as far as coming and going. So, I am now booked with Coral Breezes to go there for the day. Yes, it is going to cost a bit more, but I want to get back to the ship on time!;)

I've read that the water taxis may not be that reliable and I am definitely one to be concerned about doing the "walk of shame" since it is a tender port. I've looked at Coral Breezes and that may be my best option. I have read, though, that some people made sure they were the first tender off the ship only to sit there to wait for an hour until the other guests made it, thus eating into time on the Caye. I guess if I had trouble getting the tenders in a timely manner, I would like for the tour director to wait for me too.

Thanks for all the input. I'll have to weigh my options.

So, you're discouraged by one company owning two separate multi-boat operations... yet your fears are put at ease by a single-boat operation? :confused: I'm not sure about your math there! ;)

If you're really worried about missing the ship at the end of the day, just don't wait until the last minute to head back... or take one of the ship's excursions, of which Coral Breeze is not! :rolleyes:

So, you're discouraged by one company owning two separate multi-boat operations... yet your fears are put at ease by a single-boat operation? :confused: I'm not sure about your math there! ;)

If you're really worried about missing the ship at the end of the day, just don't wait until the last minute to head back... or take one of the ship's excursions, of which Coral Breeze is not! :rolleyes:

Actually, you have sound logic in what you are saying. Thanks for pointing that out!;)

It might be great logic, but I doubt that you will find a ship's tour for Cay Caulker ?

That was a general comment about missing the ship. If your worried about it, get a head start back... or do what the ship suggests: $tick with their $hore Excur$ion$! :)

For Caye Caulker, I think the water taxi is your safest bet. Just don't wait for the last one back! :eek:

That was a general comment about missing the ship. If your worried about it, get a head start back... or do what the ship suggests: $tick with their $hore Excur$ion$! :)

For Caye Caulker, I think the water taxi is your safest bet. Just don't wait for the last one back! :eek:

I understand not waiting until the last minute to get back to the ship, however with having to tender in, then take the water taxis, how much time will you actually have to enjoy on Caye Caulker (and visit)? In looking at the water taxi schedule, the first taxi leaves Belize City at 8:00 a.m. That is not doable considering having to tender from the ships. The next is 10:30 getting you to Caye Caulker at 11:15. The second to last tender back from Caye Caulker leaves at 1:25. That leaves a whole 2 hours to get around the island, visit, then get back to the water taxi. Doesn't seem worth it.

Thus, the request for some other ideas. The ship doesn't have an excursion to Caye Caulker so that doesn't work.

Are you accounting for any difference between ship time and port time? I'm not sure about the cruize you're on, but last time I was there, island time was one hour earlier than ship time. You may want to check out the Time Difference thread. You could be up to 2 hours earlier than you think. :)

Also, the early tenders fill quickly and only take about 15 minutes to get to port. You may be able to catch that early water taxi after all... especially if you get in line early for your tender ticket. That being said, I'm still not sure it'll be worth your while. I just know that's what I'd do in Belize! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question. Coral Breeze tours has a tour that allows someone skip the snorkel part and be dropped off at Caye Caulker to explore the island. Would it be possible to walk the island or would it be necessary to rent golf carts? Not sure how big the island is.

Ships do not offer a Caye Caulkner excursion

Ships do not offer a Caye Caulkner excursion

It is not a ship excursion, but a snorkel excursion by Coral Breeze Tour that allows you to skip the snorkel part and explore Caye Caulker.

Quick question. Coral Breeze tours has a tour that allows someone skip the snorkel part and be dropped off at Caye Caulker to explore the island. Would it be possible to walk the island or would it be necessary to rent golf carts? Not sure how big the island is.

The island is quite small, so you don't need a golf cart to fully explore it... and there are water taxis which can take you there for a fraction of the Coral Breeze price. :cool:

The island is small; unless you have mobility issues, you can easily explore it by foot (depending on time of year, it might be hot - but still easily walkable).

As an example, when we went in November 2010 my group consisted of me, my wife, and our 2 sons, age 5 & 7. We were dropped off by the water taxi at a dock that was at one side of the island. We walked from there to the other side in about a half hour, with the boys stopping to throw, kick or roll approximately 100,000 coconuts that we passed on the way, as well as chasing every lizard & bug they spotted.

The island is small. :p

• 3 weeks later...

If you took the last water taxi, there is no guarantee the boat will not be filled to capacity. We saw that on our last Caye Caulker trip. Folks had tickets, but no room for them. It is quite a distance from the port so make sure that you will get back on time.

If you took the last water taxi, there is no guarantee the boat will not be filled to capacity. We saw that on our last Caye Caulker trip. Folks had tickets, but no room for them. It is quite a distance from the port so make sure that you will get back on time.

Going with Coral Breeze R/T to Caye Caulker may cost more, but it would eliminate the dreaded, "Sorry but there are no more seats available back to Belize City".

That's what I am afraid of. I'm not confident in the water taxis.

Archived