How safe is Mexico?

jakeHOU97

A little off subject, but can anyone tell me if Visa, MC, Discover etc. are widely accepted in Coz & Progresso? Sorry if thats a dumb question, LOL.

Unless you are planning on purchasing something big, I suggest you take cash. CC's are accepted, but I worry about theft. By the way, your question is not dumb!!

A little off subject, but can anyone tell me if Visa, MC, Discover etc. are widely accepted in Coz & Progresso? Sorry if thats a dumb question, LOL.

Discover/Amex can be hit or miss, but Visa and MC are widely accepted.

If you're on the Caribbean side of Mexico, you should have little problem. Cozumel is 1000 miles away from any trouble from the drug wars. That's equivalent to the distance from New York City to Minnesota (i.e., about half the distance of the US). Imagine someone not going to the US Midwest because they've heard that crime is high in NYC or Washington DC or LA.

Now, the Pacific side is another matter. The State Department does (or at least did) have travel advisories for essentially the entire Pacific coast of Mexico, including a lot of the tourist destinations there. Surprisingly, the area around Ensenada and Tijuana is no longer the strongest warning the State Department issues, saying that you should only use caution when travelling there instead of advising no unnecessary travel.

Just returned from a 9 day cruise to Manzazillo, Cabo, Puerto vallarta and Ensenada. It was great. We rode ATV's in the back hills of Manzaniloo, Dune Buggies in Peurto Vallarta and traveled to La Bufadora in Ensenada and had no issues. Very heavy police and military presence all around, especially in the local areas where most the shopping is. I would have no problem going back again.

Archived