How safe is Mexico?

jakeHOU97

I've always wanted to go on a Mexico/Western Carribean cruise. However, my mother is worried about the drug wars, ect. I know common sense stuff, like staying in public areas, but is it a real reason to stop us from going on a Mexico/Western Carribean cruise?

I've always wanted to go on a Mexico/Western Carribean cruise. However, my mother is worried about the drug wars, ect. I know common sense stuff, like staying in public areas, but is it a real reason to stop us from going on a Mexico/Western Carribean cruise?

You are absolutely fine in the tourist areas that a cruise would go to on the Caribbean side as well as the Mexican Riviera cities on the Pacific side. The violence is in several places in the interior of the country as well as along the US Border.

Mexico is making a very very strong effort to keep its tourist areas safe. I was just in Cabo and Puerto Vallarta on a cruise and will be in Playa Del Carmen on the Caribbean side in 6 weeks. No concerns (although I did get quite an earful from family members).

jakeHOU97,

Nothing wrong with getting peoples opinions but PLEASE take the time to do your own research and come up with your own informed decision.

Here's a link where you can read the current information from the US Dept. of State and make your own decision. Everything else is just some stranger's opinion or their personal experience.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

Just got back from Cozumel two weeks ago. No problems at all. We stayed by port, and splurged for an excursion, but even if we hadn't we planned on going to Playa Palancar. Nothing to worry about!

If you stay in the tourist areas it is just as safe and being in an American city. Stay away from boarder towns and don't go wandering off from the tourist area without a good local guide. The taxi drivers that are allowed in the ports are screened so if you are going out on your own, get a driver from within the port and he will take you where you want to go and stay with you all day for a fairly low price.

Safer than some large cities in the US.

jakeHOU97,

Nothing wrong with getting peoples opinions but PLEASE take the time to do your own research and come up with your own informed decision.

Here's a link where you can read the current information from the US Dept. of State and make your own decision. Everything else is just some stranger's opinion or their personal experience.

Great link, and sound advice.

And from *our* personal experience... we've taken 3 land trips to Mexico in the past year, twice to the Puerto Vallarta area and once to the Cabo area (total = 29 days) and had no issues, never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable, and had a great time on all three trips. But we also paid close attention to the State Department warnings and any other information we could find. You couldn't PAY me to go anywhere near the border towns or some of the other hot spots.

jakeHOU97,

Hi flatpik6 --

Sometimes actual experiences by actual tourists give a more realistic view of some ports visited in Mexico, or for that matter in any port.

The South Eastern Mexico ports of Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Costa Maya, Calica, etc. are so far away from the problems sited in your link that some may make a decision that keeps them from enjoying a very pleasant port experience.

Just my 2 cents.

Hi flatpik6 --

Sometimes actual experiences by actual tourists give a more realistic view of some ports visited in Mexico, or for that matter in any port.

The South Eastern Mexico ports of Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Costa Maya, Calica, etc. are so far away from the problems sited in your link that some may make a decision that keeps them from enjoying a very pleasant port experience.

Just my 2 cents.

Totally, toally agree - don't discount a whole country because there are some problem areas! But the link posted actually specifically calls out the state of Quintana Roo (and neighboring Yucatan) as having no current warnings:

Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are the major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect.

Most of the bad news stories ( shootings, robberies etc ) have occurred in some central areas, as well as many Pacific side Mexico destinations, and that really makes me sad, because I always wanted to go to Puerta Vallarta, Manzanillo, Cabo, Ixtapa etc etc etc, but I have gotten nervous about these cruises, and sadly I will likely never see that side of Mexico nw.

I however have not yet gotten weary of the Caribbean side of Mexico, and I love Cozumel, and cant wait till I see it again. It is an island, and therefore, I think there may be some positives in that. I also have grown to love Costa Maya. I think those places are still as safe as any place in the Caribbean. I have not yet heard of major crime happening to cruise passengers in Cozumel ( accidents yes ) nor in Costa Maya. I feel safer there than I do in St Thomas or Nassau. I still like St Thomas and Nassau though. Just be careful whereever you go. Do as you do at home. Practice caution and good sense.

I am in Coz 6 times a year and always feel safer

in the tourist areas than I do on my occasional trip

to downtown Miami. :eek:

The western part of Mexico sounds like a place I will

avoid.

In south Florida you see beggars (don't know a politically

correct name for them) at some traffic lights...can't

remember that in Coz or Playa Del Carmen or Cancun.

Granted the vendors in Mexico want to make a sale but a polite

'No thanks' works.

:cool:

Flying to Cabo San Lucas in 2 weeks to spend a week.

In most tourist areas in Mexico it is no worse than the US. It is along the boarder and central Mexico where the problems are. Even those are mostly drug gang violence. So unless your a drug smuggler you are pretty safe.

My mother also worries (alot) so I use to just talk to her and try to convince her that I wouldn't go anywhere away from the group...but that didn't work either..

Just my opinion....Since you are in Houston, take a look at the 5 day Western Caribbean out of Galveston. You will have 2 at sea days and will get to enjoy to 2 port days. Progresso (Merida) has some great Mayan ruins if you are interested and Cozumel offers beach, shopping,drinking,etc. It may make your mom feel a little better that you won't be gone for 7 days or longer. This cruise just seems like a chance to get you addicted to cruising and soothe her fears at the same time. Have fun planning...

Will be going to Cozumel and Progresso for the umpteenth time next month. I've stayed on Cozumel many times on diving trips. I've never been concerned about my safety in that part of Mexico. Not for a minute. Go. Have fun.

If that itinerary includes Belize, I'd be very cautious about wandering off on my own. If you're on an excursion in Belize, you'll be perfectly safe, however.

Felt completely safe in Cozumel. Went with 2 other girlfriends, and we walked around, and shopped after our excursion. And I looked ever so much the tourist, what with my snorkel gear on me :). We were by the San Miguel Pier. We had stayed along the promenade, though, and we left when we saw the shops were closing.

My mother also worries (alot) so I use to just talk to her and try to convince her that I wouldn't go anywhere away from the group...but that didn't work either..

Just my opinion....Since you are in Houston, take a look at the 5 day Western Caribbean out of Galveston. You will have 2 at sea days and will get to enjoy to 2 port days. Progresso (Merida) has some great Mayan ruins if you are interested and Cozumel offers beach, shopping,drinking,etc. It may make your mom feel a little better that you won't be gone for 7 days or longer. This cruise just seems like a chance to get you addicted to cruising and soothe her fears at the same time. Have fun planning...

I was actually looking at the 7 dayer on the Magic to Grand Turk, Jamaica and Coz...as you see in my signature I've been on the Magic, great ship.

I think only 1 mexico stop (Cozumel) would make her feel OK, since we would use common sense in what I assume is the most popular Mexican cruise desination, there would be plenty of security, but I'm not sure.

Archived