Info on Voyager Medical Emergency Thursday Morning 4/5

Motleu

This is very important. Many people use the 7 day pill boxes and think they know what they are taking. Many do not. And if you become unconcious, chances are that your family member may not know either. Always carry this information with you when travelling. Just type it all up on a notecard and stick it in your wallet.

Not just when travelling ! Have it with you, in your wallet preferably, at all times. Very helpful to us ER people.

I want to add a bit to the medical info posted here. My DH and I carry a list of our own

and each other's medications in each other's wallets. It also has insurance info on it.

In addition, we have copies of documents, like medical power of attorney, in our cars. Our daughter has copies in her car also.

When an actual emergency occurs, it's hard to think clearly, so the lists in our wallets

take care of trying to think when an emergency happens.

Many thanks to other posters for contributing valuable info for the rest of us.

Cruzin Lady

Also, does anyone know what happened the next day with the other medical issue by the pool?

I was talking to another CC'er (TiredOl6) and he indicated the young man (16-17 years old) simply fainted after going through the BBQ line. It was hot that day but not unbearably so. I saw them take him away on a gurney and he was conscious but seemed confused. I hope it was nothing serious. Another great and quick response from the RC medical staff on the Voyager. There were there in a minute.

Thanks for the update. We were on the ship as well and watched the evacuation. We were wondering about the person and said a quick prayer for them. We are sorry they didn't make it. I also heard the call up by the pool and appreciated that update. On the way home our airplane had 2 people that needed medical care. They both ended up walking off of the plane with medical personel.

I read a newspaper article once about how your cell phone could save your life and speak for you when you cannot speak for yourself. There was a recommendation for putting an I.C.E. (In Case of Emergency) entry in your contacts. Within this entry, you put your medications, allergies, etc. The article stated that some emergency medical personnel have been trained to look at cell phones for this info.

My former cell phone had an "In Case of Emergency" built in as the first entry on the contact list. Now I have an iPhone 4 and have all of my info listed in several ways - Allergies, blood type, medications, emergency contacts, etc.

On another note, my SO wasn't feeling well about a month ago and his daughter was afraid he had a stroke. He had been tracking his blood pressure, blood sugar, etc. and keeping a little hardback notebook with this info. Before we left for the hospital, we wrote all of his meds, dosages, etc. in the front cover of this notebook. When we got to the hospital, I simply handed it to the nurse in the ER. The nurse was impressed that we had thought to do that and commented about how helpful it was.

We were on the same cruise and did all 3 excursions with the young man and family. He seemed to be ok b/c my husband and I saw him walking around later that night with his friends! Thank goodness....

when my DH and I traveled i had all of his medical history and meds on a flash

drive- small enough to fit in his pocket or my purse

I have heard from reliable medical professionals that hospitals will not plug your flash drive into their computers. It could contain a virus and disrupt their entire system.

We carry cards with our own and each others' drug and medical information. My DH has a bunch of medical issues so I also carry a copy of his latest EKG and blood work. It is very helpful for the medical people to see what a person's normal EKG looks like, especially when that person has cardiac issues.

OP: Please extend our deepest condolences to the family of your friend.

Archived