Info on Voyager Medical Emergency Thursday Morning 4/5

Motleu

On Thursday morning April 5th around 5am, I awoke to an "alpha, alpha, alpha" call for a medical emergency on deck 8. I never heard one of those before but had read about them on the boards. Later in the day I found out that it was someone we knew from our neighborhood in Cincinnati. We knew they were on the ship but did not plan the cruise with them. Our friend, her mother, her 2 daughters and a son were traveling when our friend's mother had a heart attack at 5am or so in the morning. Her daughter immediately dialed 911 from the stateroom phone and they made the alpha announcement and RC medical personnel were there in an instant. They rushed her to the medical facility on Deck 1 where she had another heart attack a little later in the morning. She was in bad condition when the captain announced there would be a medical evacuation.

The ship began traveling at I would guess 25 knots or so and began swaying. There were some upset stomachs but nothing compared to what our friend was going through. At this point we were on a sea day and were not close to land. I expected a helicopter removal. Later in the the day the captain announced that they would offload the patient at 915pm! By that point we were just off the coast of Cancun and they authorities met us with a boat that docked beside the Voyager and they used the crane to lower the patient onto the emergency vessel and departed quickly.

The next morning we found our friend and she said she could not travel with her mother because the kids were all minors so she had to stay aboard. I couldnt imagine how tough that was. She indicated that her mother had surgery late the previous evening in Cancun and had stabilized. She had high praise for RC's response and the great care her mother received on board and for how RC cared for the family and helped greatly with arrangements. I will post updates as to her condition as they become available. To our knowledge she is still in Cancun.

One important lesson was learned. Our friend indicated that medical personnel asked her what types of medications her mother took (if any) and what insurance plan she was under. She did not know any of this and the lesson is that if traveling with a friend or family member not on your plan, especially elderly family members, be sure that they bring insurance info and medication info with them and make sure you know where this info is. As soon as I know more I will post. Thanks for reading!

When ever you travel with an elderly person or anyone with health problems, make sure you have a list of meds, doctors and health problems.

My husband has health problems so we have all this info typed on a couple of sheets of paper along with copies of his current prescriptions and his meds in a ziplock bag. It is easy to grap if there was an emergency.

Back in Feb. we were in Milwaukee, Wisconsin for my sister's funeral when my 85 year old father stayed to have breathing problems. We decided to take him to the hospital with my sister who cares for him. She had all his meds at my brother-in-law's house. So someone had to go get his bag of meds as we went to the hospital. My father was ok but the delay in not knowing what meds he was on (and he is on many) could have had other results.

I carry my husband's health info in my purse even when we are not traveling.

I hope your neighbor's mother is ok and recovering.

Sad to hear her daughter and grandchildren could not join her. I hope they were able to meet up with her soon afterwards.

I definitely agree know health conditions and medical of all your traveling with. I always carry our insurance information in my purse and when we go on the cruise I will have a list of the meds my husband takes for his back injury.

I hope all goes well.. i know this is everyone's nightmare. Speaking as an ER nurse, it is essential that you carry your med list. allergies, and brief history with you wherever you are. It just takes few minutes, and is the most important info you can give us. I am also going toput in a plug for medical travel insurance. Most people's regular insurance does not cover them once they leave port, and while the ships have good facilities, they are VERY expensive.

It is extremely important to keep medical info when traveling anywhere outside of the home. DH went to the hospital on Saturday his BP spiked and since we are leaving this Saturday he wanted to get it checked. When we entered the ER, I handed them a laminated card, I carry with his meds and his previous surgeries. I made it the size of a credit card and carry it all the time. I have also, scanned copies of passports and BC so incase they ever get lost, I can go online and get them.

Prayers to your friends Mom!

We were on the same cruise on Deck 8 but did not hear the alpha call. Later, we overheard ship staff discussing the need for the mother to stay with her children while their grandmother was taken off the ship.

The ship was travelling at about 22 knots which is just shy of it's capability of 22.6 knots. The seas were rolling quite heavily from the north as we travelled straight west to Cancun for several hours. This made the ship list quite a bit as the waves hit from the starboard side of the ship, causing two of my children to get seasick. However, they said that it was minor compared to what that family was going through.

Good to hear the current status of the grandmother. Thanks for the update.

Sad and GREAT news in one post!!! So sorry for the family but nice to hear a positive about the response she received.

Hopefully she will respond with a full recovery!!!

Prayers from southern Illinois comming her way.

Tim

I have some sad news to report. Unfortunately the damage was severe and our friend's mother passed away on Easter Sunday. I know the family would be comforted by the get well wishes here. Thanks to everyone who send along prayers and also once again thanks to RC for their great efforts during this crisis. Great info passed along here regarding the need for medical information to be taken along and accessed easily.

Great idea on the medical info and having that along. We prepare a zippered three-ring binger with EVERYTHING related to the trip -schedules, reservations, confirmations, cruise info, port info, etc.... I can say right now that two more sheets will be our individual medical profiles - allergies, blood types, medications or supplements taken, etc...

Both our prior RCI cruises had medical emergencies that caused change in course or speed. On the TA in middle of Atlantic there was a heart attack situation days away from evacuation possibility so the Captain poured on the speed for several days. later we learfned they had passed away but the Capt. kept up the speed all the way to Cobh, Ireland for sake of the family. On last cruise a pregnant lady started bleeding so we diverted to St. Lucia. Can happen to anyone so best to be prepared.

I hope your friends mum continues to recover well. Great tip on knowing the insurance and medication info for those travelling with you. I am travelling with my parents in January 2013 and will make sure I know those details.

It is extremely important to keep medical info when traveling anywhere outside of the home. DH went to the hospital on Saturday his BP spiked and since we are leaving this Saturday he wanted to get it checked. When we entered the ER, I handed them a laminated card, I carry with his meds and his previous surgeries. I made it the size of a credit card and carry it all the time. I have also, scanned copies of passports and BC so incase they ever get lost, I can go online and get them.

Prayers to your friends Mom!

It would be great to put all the info in the size of a credit card but my husband's info would not fit. He has 3 huge files at his neuologist. But it sounds like a great idea for me.

I am sorry to hear that her mother did not make it. RCCL did the right thing.

I'm so sorry for your friend. Was she able to get to the medical facility before she passed? I hope she can hold onto a beautiful memory of her whole family enjoying their cruise.

I begged my parents to do a Bermuda cruise to no avail. My dad passed a few weeks after I got home . I know he would have loved it, I'll always regret that I didn't buy him a cabin and get him to come.

Never take tomorrow for granted. It may not belong to you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One important lesson was learned. Our friend indicated that medical personnel asked her what types of medications her mother took (if any) and what insurance plan she was under. She did not know any of this and the lesson is that if traveling with a friend or family member not on your plan, especially elderly family members, be sure that they bring insurance info and medication info with them and make sure you know where this info is.

This is very important. Many people use the 7 day pill boxes and think they know what they are taking. Many do not. And if you become unconcious, chances are that your family member may not know either. Always carry this information with you when travelling. Just type it all up on a notecard and stick it in your wallet.

We were on this ship as well and watched them take her off, it was very scary to watch. We hoped she was ok after being taken off.

The day at sea was very rocky, but we knew there was an emergency. My poor husband spent the day as well as many others on the ship sick to his stomach from it, but like others said nothing like the lady that had to be taken off. Walking to dinner that night with it being formal night, walking in heels was a chore!

Archived