My chosen luau is not available. Suggestions?

joan72761

We are on the POA with 2 overnighters. One in Maui and one in Kauai. We also have one available day/night before our cruise in Honolulu. We had planned to go to the Old Lahaina Luau but the couple days we are there is during the time of year they close for cleaning and general maintenance. Big disappointment since it sounded so nice. Any suggestions for a Luau in Honolulu, Maui or Kauai would really be appreciated. I don't eat any type of sea food but my hubby does so as long as the menu contains other foods and the Luau itself has an authentic feel we will be happy. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.:)

We did the "Feast at Lele" (on Maui, in Lahaina) this February and really enjoyed it. It's a little more expensive than the traditional luau, but IMO worth it because you are served at your table instead of waiting in a buffet line. It's also a smaller, more intimate setting right on the beach, the four main courses are "themed" to tie into the area of the Pacific being featured in the show, etc. It's been written up here many times so I won't re-review it, but do visit their website, read the reviews here (and on Trip advisor etc.) and decide for yourself.

J & M

We are also on the POA this coming September. When I realized that Lahaina is 45 minutes away from where the ship docks I was first considering dong the Luau through the ship in Kauai but then found that we could go to one while in Honolulu that provides pick up and drop off from the hotel. It is called Germaine's Luau and had good enough reviews on TripAdvisor. We booked with Savontourshawaii and the rate was $52 per person so that seemed good to us as well.

They are picking us up from our hotel at 4:15 PM and will return us back at 8:30 PM that night.

We are doing Smith Family Luau in Kauai. My friends went and said it was great! We arranged it through Roberts Tours since we are not renting a car and would like someone to do the driving so we can toss back a few mai tai's.

We did the "Feast at Lele" (on Maui, in Lahaina) this February and really enjoyed it. It's a little more expensive than the traditional luau, but IMO worth it because you are served at your table instead of waiting in a buffet line. It's also a smaller, more intimate setting right on the beach, the four main courses are "themed" to tie into the area of the Pacific being featured in the show, etc. It's been written up here many times so I won't re-review it, but do visit their website, read the reviews here (and on Trip advisor etc.) and decide for yourself.

J & M

Just an FYI, Feast at Lele is the same company as OLL...............so if one is closed there is a possibility the other one might be too. Worth a check.

We did Smith's last week and maybe I am not that familiar with Luau's but I thought their's was very nice and only about 400 people. Good choice of food.
We enjoyed that one too. If you go, get there early to give yourselves time to explore the expansive grounds and gardens before the luau begins.

Debster 818

I see you are getting ready to sail away. Have fun. When you get back share some of your experiences on the ship and on the islands. Especially the luau. I looked at Smiths and was curious about that one. Thanks for the info you provided.

It's on Kauai and different from the cruise excursion luau. It was great - pig in the ground, great food and show.

We heard through others that the luau the cruise does didn't have a pig in the ground, the food wasn't as a variety as Smith Family's luau - no gardens or grounds and lots of vendors. Can't verify this as we heard it from others.

Really enjoyed Smith Family luau - highly recommend.

We did Germaine's in Oahu. They picked us up from Waikiki. I wouldn't call it authentic. It was fine and the show was good but it was packed. I think there were 800 or 900 people there. A bunch of picnic tables everywhere.

Germaine's Luau has been around forever. We went to Germaine's over 30 years ago and I'd think they have enough experience to do it right.

Used to be called "Germaine's believe it or not luau".:)

Germaine's Luau has been around forever. We went to Germaine's over 30 years ago and I'd think they have enough experience to do it right.

Used to be called "Germaine's believe it or not luau".:)

We did it back in 1984 as well.....I thought it was great then but heck I was a young adult....and in Hawaii so it really didn't matter to me......I don't remember it being that many people so they have definitely enlarged it....and the bigger something gets usually the worse it gets.....

We are doing Smith Family Luau in Kauai. My friends went and said it was great! We arranged it through Roberts Tours since we are not renting a car and would like someone to do the driving so we can toss back a few mai tai's.

Im not getting Roberts tours website to come up, can someone email me their website address.?

No commercial luau is authentic. Think all you can eat buffet with mediocre food and a flashy tourist show. My advice is to save your money and go to a nice restaurant for dinner on one of the islands. There are lots of good restaurants in Hawaii. Go to the ship board island dance shows while in the islands or one of the free shows on land, usually around happy hour or early evening.

Well, it seems that if I want to go to a luau, I'm going to have to really work for it. I was pretty much sold on the Smith Family luau (love the picture shown earlier), but when I went to their site to check the dates, found out they are closed on Tue and Thurs in December. We will be there on Thursday.:eek:

Has anybody heard anything about the Drums of the Pacific or the Honuaula Luau in Maui? They sounded all right and they seem to be open when we will be there.:)

Once again, I thank everybody for their suggestions and information.

We just did the luau at the Royal Lahiana Resort on Maui and it was Not as good as the Old Laniana, but it cost less, the food was decent, and the entertainment was good. The drinks were the only things that were not very good. Watered down way too much. But we enjoyed the evening none the less.

Well, it seems that if I want to go to a luau, I'm going to have to really work for it. I was pretty much sold on the Smith Family luau (love the picture shown earlier), but when I went to their site to check the dates, found out they are closed on Tue and Thurs in December. We will be there on Thursday.:eek:

Has anybody heard anything about the Drums of the Pacific or the Honuaula Luau in Maui? They sounded all right and they seem to be open when we will be there.:)

Once again, I thank everybody for their suggestions and information.

Here is Robert's website.

http://www.robertshawaii.com/

Did you check the Feast at Lele on Maui?

http://www.feastatlele.com/

That would be my first pick along with OLL on Maui. If OLL is closed for refurbishment, it is highly unlikely that the owners would close FAL as well. Who would close their business the busiest time of the year?

Archived