Handheld Steamer?

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question...

Are you allowed to bring a handheld steamer to use in your room? I have read that irons are only in the laundry room because of a fire hazard and thought this would be an easy to pack and use alternative.

Thanks!

Carnival documentation says no but I plan on bringing one anyway. Worst case is it gets confiscated. They get much less hot than a curling iron or straightening iron so I'm not sure why they aren't allowed. I have seen posts on here where people had them taken and others where they didn't.

Some people think I am crazy for doing this but....

Once I unpack I take whatever has to be ironed down to the laundry room and spend about one hour "touching up" and then I am done for the week.

Did the steamer one cruise and just to hectic to steam everytime someone needed something :rolleyes:

My wife and I make use of what I call (affectionately might I add) the "redneck steamer."

We unpack the first couple nights' dinner clothes first, and hang them in the small bathroom with the water as hot as it can get and steam em up!

Along with bringing a couple small bottles of "wrinkle releaser" spray, it works just fine.

We recently moved, and it took me a few days of searching, but I finally found my steamer so I can tell you what kind it is. It's an Oreck Handheld Steamer. The only online photo of it I could find was on an ebay listing, but here is the link to it. http://compare.ebay.com/like/250920220969?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

We recently moved, and it took me a few days of searching, but I finally found my steamer so I can tell you what kind it is. It's an Oreck Handheld Steamer. The only online photo of it I could find was on an ebay listing, but here is the link to it. http://compare.ebay.com/like/250920220969?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y&cbt=y

That's going to be an iffey one........I have one that's similar but made by Rowenta that I don't bring anymore because I'm pretty sure it would be confiscated.....

I do like a PP said and unpack as soon as I can then make a trip to the launderette if needed for touchups......I also iron and lightly spray starch almost all of my cloths before packing them. It really seems to cut down on the wrinkles.

I pack using that nesting method where you put the top 1/2 of the garment in and leave the bottom 1/2 hanging out the side then alternately fold the bottoms in so that it's one big woven bundle.

I can get a lot of cloths in that way and still have room to pack a pillow which helps prevent the cloths from shifting and bunching up.

Steamers used to be allowed but that was changed a couple of years ago. We brought one after the rule changed and it was confiscated and then returned at the end of the cruise. Since they don't allow them anymore I wish there were steamers in the laundry rooms so we could use that instead of the irons.

Looks like I'll just leave it home then. Luckily we're pretty close to the port so we'll be driving instead of flying. The clothes won't have to be in the suitcases too terribly long. I like that nesting idea, I may have to try that out. Thanks to everyone that has posted! :)

Be careful when ironing in ship laundry room. Someone had ironed something and it left black residue on iron. I didn't check and ended up with a black streak on blouse. Luckily it washed out so it wasn't that big a deal, but any time I use ships irons now I always check first. Most of the time I just use method pp mentioned. Hang stuff in bathroom and get the room nice and steamy.

Just a random bit of trivia- if you make sure the plates are clean first, a hair straightener will work well to touch up the front of a man's shirt, and you don't have to worry about the iron having gunk on it, or dripping or burning your shirt.

Just a random bit of trivia- if you make sure the plates are clean first, a hair straightener will work well to touch up the front of a man's shirt, and you don't have to worry about the iron having gunk on it, or dripping or burning your shirt.

done it! works great on cotton! :D

Also, have taken the "stand up" type steamer on 23 cruises - never an issue!

I honestly don't understand why they aren't allowed. They don't get nearly as hot as a curling iron. Do they charge you for using the irons on the ship? Is it because they would be losing revenue?

There is no charge to use the irons. We were told it was a fire hazard to bring your own. The laundry rooms that have the irons are completely steel so nothing can burn.

Another idea is to use wrinkle release spray. You have to be proactive and I usually spray the night before I want to wear something and hang it up to dry. Make sure you pull the fabric while wet as that definitely helps in the dewrinkling process. It does a fairly decent job of getting the wrinkles out. Since this spray is expensive, I read somewhere that you can make your own by mixing 1/3 liquid fabric fabric softener and the rest water in a spray bottle. I bought my first bottle and use the fabric softener and water to refill the bottle ever since.

My wife and I make use of what I call (affectionately might I add) the "redneck steamer."

We unpack the first couple nights' dinner clothes first, and hang them in the small bathroom with the water as hot as it can get and steam em up!

Along with bringing a couple small bottles of "wrinkle releaser" spray, it works just fine.

This just goes to prove that if you tell a redneck that they can not do something or have something they will build or make their own. I can hear Jeff Foxworthy saying your might be a redneck if. lol :cool: Oh, I am a redneck too as I have done this as well.

Archived