Battling the bulge while cruising

jakes47

I tried to NEVER use the elevator! By the time I walked to deck15 and back using the stairs I think I burnt the calories of my 2 glasses of wine;)

We walked while sight-seeing in port as well. I ate everything including desserts every single day and came back 1 lb lighter than I left.

I think the weight-gain horror stories come true if you eat everything and lay in a lounger all cruise.

I think on Oceania with quality, fresh ingredients you don't need all the oil and sugars to make food taste good.

I may be different from many, but I go on cruises to fully enjoy myself and do not limit myself when there is such a wonderful variety of food to be had. It is not unusual for me to gain a pound a day, so what I do is go on a diet before I cruise and lose about 5-10 pounds, then do not take the elevator on board and walk as much as I can.

We just got back from our 10 day cruise on the Mariner - Barcelona to Rome. I had worked hard to loose 10 pounds before we left so I would have "some room" to indulge, lol. Because the itin was so port intensive, we did a ton of walking every day. Happy to say the scale showed a one pound loss when we got back home, and this despite that one evening in the Terrace Cafe I had seven desserts (yes, 7....I am not proud of my behavior but I couldn't resist repeats of the floating island and tiramisu desserts, lol; omg, a piece of heaven there, I must say!)

I may be different from many, but I go on cruises to fully enjoy myself and do not limit myself when there is such a wonderful variety of food to be had. It is not unusual for me to gain a pound a day, so what I do is go on a diet before I cruise and lose about 5-10 pounds, then do not take the elevator on board and walk as much as I can.

I've been thinking the same thing, reading all the posts regarding the good food, I am salivating just reading that new review from first time cruise after the Marina listing all those yummy dishes.

I have been trying to decide what is the best strategy. Lose some weight before the cruise but I think the stomach always shrinks when losing weight, or start by eating tons now, so my tummy will be used to eating all the food...:eek: and deal with the weight gain after getting home!

We just got back from our 10 day cruise on the Mariner - Barcelona to Rome. I had worked hard to loose 10 pounds before we left so I would have "some room" to indulge, lol. Because the itin was so port intensive, we did a ton of walking every day. Happy to say the scale showed a one pound loss when we got back home, and this despite that one evening in the Terrace Cafe I had seven desserts (yes, 7....I am not proud of my behavior but I couldn't resist repeats of the floating island and tiramisu desserts, lol; omg, a piece of heaven there, I must say!)

Hmm, I might eat 7 desserts but I'm not sure I'd admit it. :o

Hmm, I might eat 7 desserts but I'm not sure I'd admit it. :o

I know...it took some courage to post that one! If the scale had shown anything other than a weight loss when I returned, I probably wouldn't have owned up, lol!

My problem is high blood sugar which I control with my diet, not drugs. I'm fine as long as I don't have desserts, potato or bread. I've looked over the menus and there is still HEAPS of choices that I can indulge in. Seafood, steaks, lamb etc etc. Either way I'll enjoy the food you can be sure of that!

Archived