Cruise Insurance

Mikel1733

In the past I've bought independent trip insurance through one of the bundling sites. However, my PVP is now telling me how improved the CCL insurance is now. In looking it over doesn't look much improved to me. I'm mainly concerned about a parent who is elderly and unwell disrupting the trip, however there are some other potential things to worry about. This trip would be April of 2013. Anyone have thoughts on best way to go with insurance? Or if complications exist is it better to not book so far out and take the chances that prices will rise?

What are the levels of coverage for CCL insurance vice an independent company? You'll have to compare those with the costs of each. Typically, cruise line insurance is very bare bones and probably wouldn't cover 100% of the costs if you needed to be helo'd from one place overseas to the US.

Mikel,

I went with insuremytrip dot com - that way you can compare prices/benefits and find a plan that offers what you need. Unfortunately, I can't give you great advice about your particular situation, as mine was different. All I can say is look at what you need covered and see what plan can cover it. And if you're not comfortable booking online, don't hesitate to call and speak to a real person. Oh, and be sure to read the fine print - I called to ask for clarification on a few things before I booked and i'm glad I did.

Also, if you search for "cruise insurance" on the Cruise Critic website you'll find a lot of information. (Not trying to be rude, just letting you know. I had the same question a while ago and that's what I did :D)

Sorry I can't be of more help - hopefully more seasoned cruisers can provide better advice. :)

Mikel,

And if you're not comfortable booking online, don't hesitate to call and speak to a real person. Oh, and be sure to read the fine print - I called to ask for clarification on a few things before I booked and i'm glad I did.

:)

Thanks, good advice. I will ask some more specific questions about coverage. Your service was the same as I have used in the past. But my concerns for coverage are different this time.

Oh yeah, that's another thing... when you book, be mindful that some insurance co's require you to purchase a plan within 7 or 14 days of your original booking date (or date of 1st payment) if you want it to cover a pre-existing condition or want to include a 'cancel for any reason' add on. And some types of coverage is secondary - meaning that your own medical insurance (if you have it) will need to kick in first and the travel insurance will pay the remainder. Insuremytrip noted when a certain type of coverage was secondary - which was helpful. Also look at what your medical insurance will and will not cover before you decide on a plan...

In the past I've bought independent trip insurance through one of the bundling sites. However, my PVP is now telling me how improved the CCL insurance is now. In looking it over doesn't look much improved to me. I'm mainly concerned about a parent who is elderly and unwell disrupting the trip, however there are some other potential things to worry about. This trip would be April of 2013. Anyone have thoughts on best way to go with insurance? Or if complications exist is it better to not book so far out and take the chances that prices will rise?

All the different policies have coverages that are better for some than others - you should choose a Policy that best addresses your specific situation.

The Carnival Policy offers a number of niceties including the "Cancel for Any Reason" (albeit for a 75% credit versus refund), termination of employment, etc., etc. -- but IMO it's major disadvantage is that it's Medical coverage of $10K is ridculously low and it's MedEVAC coverage of $30K is marginal at best. It also does not include "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions" which IMO is ESSENTIA especially in yopur case. In your case, I'd say it's only advantage is that if your parent is 70+ years of age, the Carnival policy starts becoming WAY cheaper than the 3rd party policies, (by a factor of 2X and 3X as you get older & older) and you might have to live with Carnival's coverage inadequacies for pure economic reasons.

If the parent isn't too far past 70 years and you can afford the premium I'd look at CSA, TravelInsured and TravelEx, and I'd purchase them w/in 7 or so days of Cruise Booking so as to get "Waiver of Pre-Existing Conditions". You can purchase CSA up to Final Payment and get "Waiver of pre-existing conditions.

ken

Archived