Junea- Taku Lodge Feast and 5 Glacier Sea plane tour

huggs

Hi folks,

We are sailing on RCCL Radiance of Seas early May and wondering about this excursion...not sure if any one has done it. My big concern, how easy it is to get on and off these planes ?? I have some mobility issues, but did manage to get on a small airplane recently to get to Vancouver Island...

If there is a door and ladder at the back, behind the wings...I should be ok...curious if there are any weight restrictions either...DH and I are rather "fluffy" :p.

Curious if anyone has done this trip and or similiar...and your experience... Will weather be too lousy at that time of year to view the glaciers from above ??

Thanks

Huggs aka Sue

Yes, I have flown to Taku Lodge. Floatplanes do require you to be able to climb usually 3 ladder like steps. Some may have ramps, but, I don't find them real easy for significant impairments- the pitch can be steep. Space is tight inside the plane and you may have to climb between seats. Were you on a float plane out of Vancouver, how many seats? these flights are usually 6-8 passengers. You really can't be so large that you can't climb or sit safely in your seat- they aren't large, belt extenders are available. You will have to state your weight.

There is NO way to predict your flying conditions.

This is one of the oldest tours offered to cruise passengers and goes back literally to the 1970's. Very early days. There must be 100's of thousands of satisfied customers by now.

There are weight limits. The cruise line should know what these are.

It can be rough.

Boarding is up to you but someone will lend a hand...but not more than that. My boarding style these days is something between a crawl and a scamble, but it works.

We did this excursion and it remains one of our all-time Alaska favorites. My husband has been a floatplane instructor pilot in the Seattle area so especially enjoyed this tour. The floatplane pilot will assist you in boarding. Seat belt extenders are helpful for larger folks and will help you be comfortable in your seat. Your pilot will fly over some amazing scenery on the way to Taku Lodge. You will see glaciers and an overview of the area. The lodge is just a lovely wilderness lodge and is family operated. There is family friendliness and stories of the wilderness. They do a great menu with lots of variety. I bought their little spiral bound cookbook and a china platter with a picture of the lodge on it. We use the platter all the time and it reminds of a fun day in Alaska. You'll have time after your meal to walk around the lodge and its surroundings if you wish. May is early season and is one of the best times to watch for wildlife. You'll enjoy Taku!

This was our favorite excursion on our cruise last year even though we didn't get to see the resident bears. The scenery is just amazing and everyone has their own window seat. The steps into the plane were a little steep but not too bad and the pilots can help you in if needed.

The meal at the lodge was superb,the salmon cooked perfectly. I bought their cook book and have done salmon with their special baste yummy!!

I would definitely do this excursion again if we ever get back to Alaska.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have contacted the special needs dept with RCCL to see if they can get me more details.

I have no issue with declaring our weights and recognize we may need to move ourselves around a very small cabin. It was not a float plane that I flew in, but it was only a 6 passenger plane and managed. We would never want to put ourselves and or anyone else in jeopardy and fly in unsafe situations.

We just may wait until we get there and talk to the company in person..if they have space then it is meant to be...if not, we will just enjoy Juneau .

Realent> we are going the week ahead of you ...we will be sure to leave you some good stuff...lol

I will wait for RCCL to contact us, and if not, just "wing it " :D

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I have contacted the special needs dept with RCCL to see if they can get me more details.

I have no issue with declaring our weights and recognize we may need to move ourselves around a very small cabin. It was not a float plane that I flew in, but it was only a 6 passenger plane and managed. We would never want to put ourselves and or anyone else in jeopardy and fly in unsafe situations.

We just may wait until we get there and talk to the company in person..if they have space then it is meant to be...if not, we will just enjoy Juneau .

Realent> we are going the week ahead of you ...we will be sure to leave you some good stuff...lol

I will wait for RCCL to contact us, and if not, just "wing it " :D

Frankly it is a waste of time to ask RCI. What do you think they can tell you, from an office in Florida? They don't know anything other than what is written in the tour description. You aren't going to be talking to anyone with first hand knowledge.

Contact the vendor directly yourself. http://takulodge.com/

Frankly it is a waste of time to ask RCI. What do you think they can tell you, from an office in Florida? They don't know anything other than what is written in the tour description. You aren't going to be talking to anyone with first hand knowledge.

Contact the vendor directly yourself. http://takulodge.com/

Thanks BQ...I did contact the lodge /airline company directly and after some emails and also emails from RCCL assist group I have been able to decide that I can indeed cope with this excursion and plan to surprise my hubby with it......just waiting to confirm that it is not all booked up.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and feedback...the best thing about cruise critics is the kind generosity of the posters....xoxoxoxox

Hi Sue, we are booked, sailing on the RCCL May 11 th sailing. Are you sailing with us? I would be happy to report back.

We are sailing the week before you....thanks. We will be sure to save some salmon for you.... going to go for it |!!!

Archived