Has anyone purchased from Art Auction?

gonna go cruising

See, the problem is, I didnt buy any art. I was settling my bill with them and realized there was a $205 charge on my daughters card for an art auction item. We never set foot in the auction. I got it straightened out with the desk and they credited my account although it did take an extra billing period to actually show up on my account that it was credited. However, not long ago my daughter got a certificate of authenticity in the mail and we laughed and said "oh no, they are going to send that art anyway" and lo and behold, we got a notice from DHL today and I tracked it to Global Fine Arts in Dania Beach FL. I had a feeling this is what it is and just talked to Princess who confirmed that is who handles it. I say it has to be the mistaken art purchase and cannot be some coincidence that we get a package unknowingly. She said to call Global in the morning to straighten it out.

I am a bit bothered by this as I am having to go to a fair amount of trouble to fix a problem that is not mine. I have no clue who it actually belongs to and seemingly the art auction people do not either or would not have sent it to us. It is quite comical actually thinking about it as the lady in line in front of us had purchased art and told us that it would be shipped to the person whose card was used to buy it. I told her they surely would get it straightened out...but here we are so many weeks later...with someone else's art coming tomorrow.

Thanks for the links guys. I will follow up on it and hopefully just refuse the package so they can find the person who meant to buy it.

Positive. She is 17 and they pulled the sheet on it and could tell what the mistake was. So someone somewhere is expecting art that may or may not have ever been charged to them, and is not being delivered to them. The only time we were not together on the cruise is when I would leave her napping in the room.

We left the ship knowing (?) it had been taken care of but now it appears that it was not.

I agree. I would hate to be the one who actually "bought" the art only to find through a clerical error that it was delivered somewhere else. I am afraid Global will be no help at all tomorrow either but am going to try. Obviously Princess did not clear up the error in time for them to ship it. Our cruise was the week of March 6. Go figure.

I have bought many pieces from Park West Gallery onboard and at some of their land art auctions. The prices are definately much better pricewise on the ship than at their land auctions. I have about 50 or 60 pieces so far and I strongly recommend them. If you look at sites like EBay or other sites that sell art, the price is usually much less. Also, with PWG you can guarantee the provenance of the art and receive an appraisal certificate.

Paul

Sounds like you will be receiving a lovely new piece of art to add to your collection. The person who is supposed to be the recipient will file a claim and they will get their art. Don't fret about trying to straighten out their error. It will take more of your time and probably cost the company more to get it straightened out than to pay the loss claim.

Enjoy!

See, the problem is, I didnt buy any art. I was settling my bill with them and realized there was a $205 charge on my daughters card for an art auction item. We never set foot in the auction. I got it straightened out with the desk and they credited my account although it did take an extra billing period to actually show up on my account that it was credited. However, not long ago my daughter got a certificate of authenticity in the mail and we laughed and said "oh no, they are going to send that art anyway" and lo and behold, we got a notice from DHL today and I tracked it to Global Fine Arts in Dania Beach FL. I had a feeling this is what it is and just talked to Princess who confirmed that is who handles it. I say it has to be the mistaken art purchase and cannot be some coincidence that we get a package unknowingly. She said to call Global in the morning to straighten it out.

I am a bit bothered by this as I am having to go to a fair amount of trouble to fix a problem that is not mine. I have no clue who it actually belongs to and seemingly the art auction people do not either or would not have sent it to us. It is quite comical actually thinking about it as the lady in line in front of us had purchased art and told us that it would be shipped to the person whose card was used to buy it. I told her they surely would get it straightened out...but here we are so many weeks later...with someone else's art coming tomorrow.

Thanks for the links guys. I will follow up on it and hopefully just refuse the package so they can find the person who meant to buy it.

This seems very strange to me. I have bought several pieces of art on Princess Cruises (very happy with the art I've purchased, and it takes about 6-8 weeks to receive). My recollection is that you provide them the address for shipping on a copy of the invoice at the auction. It seems that if they are sending you the art, someone gave them your address at the auction.

There are a few references to Park West on this thread. Princess does not use Park West. It has it's own in-house art program (I believe that it is also used by Carnival), and (I believe) ships out of Florida.

While Princess does have several copies of most of the pieces of art they sell, I disagree with the poster that said that you should just keep the art if it was sent in error.

While Princess does have several copies of most of the pieces of art they sell, I disagree with the poster that said that you should just keep the art if it was sent in error.

It's not a question of "keeping" the art. It's a question of hanging the art "temporarily" in your den until the cruiseline or the art company straightens out their own mess and sends someone to pick up the art. Why should anyone waste any more of their time or money on a problem that they didn't create and is the result of someone else's negligence?

I contacted the art company this morning and they are going to follow up on it. If they do not reach the carrier today they asked me to refuse the shipment so it can get sent back to them to straighten it out. From when we got it "straightened out" prior to disembarking, I saw the paper and think something got transposed number wise because they could tell at the desk what had happened pretty quickly. Princess Global Art was very helpful this morning and did appreciate my contacting them instead of just accepting what was not mine.

Hopefully someone who is getting concerned about their shipment will get it soon!

I contacted the art company this morning and they are going to follow up on it. If they do not reach the carrier today they asked me to refuse the shipment so it can get sent back to them to straighten it out. From when we got it "straightened out" prior to disembarking, I saw the paper and think something got transposed number wise because they could tell at the desk what had happened pretty quickly. Princess Global Art was very helpful this morning and did appreciate my contacting them instead of just accepting what was not mine.

Hopefully someone who is getting concerned about their shipment will get it soon!

Suppose it's a delivery company that doesn't require a signature. Are you going to take a day off from work so you can be home to refuse delivery? Suppose you hadn't known this "package" was coming and then you unwrapped it and saw it wasn't yours. How much effort and expense is one supposed to expend thereafter to re-wrap and return or to wait for a delivery company to pick it up again? The situation presents some interesting ethical questions.

Suppose it's a delivery company that doesn't require a signature. Are you going to take a day off from work so you can be home to refuse delivery? Suppose you hadn't known this "package" was coming and then you unwrapped it and saw it wasn't yours. How much effort and expense is one supposed to expend thereafter to re-wrap and return or to wait for a delivery company to pick it up again? The situation presents some interesting ethical questions.

A lot of hypotheticals. Sounds to me like a rationalization for keeping something that isn't yours.

If it did not require a signature it would have been left on my doorstep yesterday and of course we would open it as it is addressed to my daughter. Upon seeing the item I would do as I did last night and call Princess and proceed from there. No, I would not take off from work to do so, I could have the item with me and they could come and get it there. I guess I was just raised to be honest and know if something is not mine, I do not keep it. I would go to a fair amount of trouble to get it resolved as I would hope most people would. I could not keep the item unless specifically told to do so by Princess.

A similar situation happened in the past. We booked a concert package and when our tickets came, there were two additional tickets in the package. I immediately called the company and told them of the mistake. They voided the tickets and reissued them to the intended holders. Oddly enough, I met those same people (their name was included in the package) and we had one of those small world isnt it conversations.

It pays to be honest. It all comes back in the end.

If it did not require a signature it would have been left on my doorstep yesterday and of course we would open it as it is addressed to my daughter. Upon seeing the item I would do as I did last night and call Princess and proceed from there. No, I would not take off from work to do so, I could have the item with me and they could come and get it there. I guess I was just raised to be honest and know if something is not mine, I do not keep it. I would go to a fair amount of trouble to get it resolved as I would hope most people would. I could not keep the item unless specifically told to do so by Princess.

A similar situation happened in the past. We booked a concert package and when our tickets came, there were two additional tickets in the package. I immediately called the company and told them of the mistake. They voided the tickets and reissued them to the intended holders. Oddly enough, I met those same people (their name was included in the package) and we had one of those small world isnt it conversations.

It pays to be honest. It all comes back in the end.

Good for you. I'd like to think that you represent the majority, but I'm not sure.

Archived