Help with Dream Cabin Selection...trying to book now before hubby changes his mind

deniuh

Hi everyone,

Finally convinced Hubby to go on a Disney Cruise, so before he changes his mind for the 100th time, I want to get it booked tonight. I am online booking but can't figure out what the categories mean. 8A, 8C, 8B? I am looking at a Family Ocean View Room. My options are decks 5, 6, 7, or 8. One room has two portholes. I haven't gotten to the area where you actually select a cabin number. Can you please give me some advice on how to make my selection. I've cruised before and prefer midship since I am prone to sea sickness. This will be our first OceanView. So excited!

Thanks everyone!!

Hi everyone,

Finally convinced Hubby to go on a Disney Cruise, so before he changes his mind for the 100th time, I want to get it booked tonight. I am online booking but can't figure out what the categories mean. 8A, 8C, 8B? I am looking at a Family Ocean View Room. My options are decks 5, 6, 7, or 8. One room has two portholes. I haven't gotten to the area where you actually select a cabin number. Can you please give me some advice on how to make my selection. I've cruised before and prefer midship since I am prone to sea sickness. This will be our first OceanView. So excited!

Thanks everyone!!

I would suggest that you look at a deck plan while trying to figure this out.

Generally, it has to do with location. In your example 8A, 8B, and 8C are all oceanview rooms. Category 8 means that the rooms are all physically the same. A, B, & C are grades of which is in a better location. A is better than B or C. Also an A would more likely be more midships than an B or C of the same category.

I haven't been on the Dream, I've only been on the Magic & Wonder. We prefer deck 2 (Cat 9B & 9C). They have a large porthole (about 3 feet across). In this case a 9B is midship, 9C is aft and forward of midship.

:)

Edited by Shmoo here

Hi Smhoo, thanks for responding so quickly. Are two small portholes better than one porthole with seating? Do the small portholes have seating? I read that cabins 8a-8D are at the front of the ship. I am still trying to figure out the deck plans. Might need to call Disney customer service to chat. I really appreciate your help.

Hi Smhoo, thanks for responding so quickly. Are two small portholes better than one porthole with seating? Do the small portholes have seating? I read that cabins 8a-8D are at the front of the ship. I am still trying to figure out the deck plans. Might need to call Disney customer service to chat. I really appreciate your help.

I think you are asking about the large portholes that have seating in them. I don't have any experience with them. On the Magic & Wonder, the portholes in the rooms were large, but not wide enough to sit in them.

And (on the same ships) the rooms with 2 portholes (small portholes - like the ones you think would be on a ship) are on deck 1 (Cat 9D).

If 8A-D are at the front of the ship the 8Ds would be most forward and the 8As would be most midship (in that category).

EDIT: BTW, if you're trying to get this done (so you're commited as far as your hubby is concerned), go ahead a book a room using your best guess right now. That way, you can continue to get more familiar with what you want, and if you want to change your room, your price is locked in at this rate. Because, generally, the rates will increase the closer you get to the cruise.

Edited by Shmoo here

I was trying to book based on what you told me, and now it seems all I can get in those categories are guaranty cabins. If I proceed with booking, can I call and select my own cabin? I am looking at the Jan 2013 sailing on Dream.

I was trying to book based on what you told me, and now it seems all I can get in those categories are guaranty cabins. If I proceed with booking, can I call and select my own cabin? I am looking at the Jan 2013 sailing on Dream.

Most likely, they've already reached the percentage of specific rooms booked within a category for the category you want. That's why the GTY option.

Unless you really have a special desire for a specific room, GTY is not a bad way to go. You're guaranteed that you will have AT LEAST the category you book (or higher) and DCL places you in a room they select.

Calling DCL might (and I'm not at all confident about this) allow you to pick a specific room.

Definitely go foor the single porthole with window seating. It is much nicer than 2 small portholes!

I agree with the PP, book the guarantee. Then keep checking! specific rooms may come available and then you will be able to book.

OP, this might be getting a bit off topic.

On the Dream, there are proportionally much much more verandah cabins than Inside and OV, and that this ratio is higher as compared to the same ratio on the Magic/Wonder. What that means is that, the price difference between a cat 8 and a cat 7 or cat 6 isn't really differ by that much. For example, I was just looking at the 1/24/2013 3-day sailing. For 2 adults, the difference between a cat 8B and a cat 7A is only $24 total (or just $4 more per person per day), for a real balcony with fresh air. Yes you'll have more usable indoor space in the cat 8 as they are 241 sq ft, as compared to the approximately 200 sq ft indoor space in the cat 7, plus the verandah. Of course it is your personal choice and there may be other reason not stated that an OV cabin is actually more preferred in your case, which is totally fine. Just a thought.

Hope you have a wonderful Disney cruise!

Edited by Friend100

OP, this might be getting a bit off topic.

On the Dream, there are proportionally much much more verandah cabins than Inside and OV, and that this ratio is higher as compared to the same ratio on the Magic/Wonder. What that means is that, the price difference between a cat 8 and a cat 7 or cat 6 isn't really differ by that much. For example, I was just looking at the 1/24/2013 3-day sailing. For 2 adults, the difference between a cat 8B and a cat 7A is only $24 total (or just $4 more per person per day), for a real balcony with fresh air. Yes you'll have more usable indoor space in the cat 8 as they are 241 sq ft, as compared to the approximately 200 sq ft indoor space in the cat 7, plus the verandah. Of course it is your personal choice and there may be other reason not stated that an OV cabin is actually more preferred in your case, which is totally fine. Just a thought.

Hope you have a wonderful Disney cruise!

Friend100, I've been puzzled by that option all night so I am glad you brought it up. It's a few dollars more to upgrade to the verandah but then there are all these whitewall choices. We are getting on OV because we have a 4 yr old and wasn't sure about the verandah option. I wish I could just pull up the deck plans like on a RCCL ship and see exactly where the cabins are. I must be doing something wrong. After 8 cruises, I didn't think booking on Disney would be so confusion...lol. Keep the advice coming. I am looking at the Jan 2, 2013 sailing.

On another note, does disney allow you to book combined packages with WDW? Thanks!!

Book the ocean view on deck 2. They have large 3 feet portholes. the cabin numbers run from 25** ending in even numbers or 20** ending in even numbers numbers. Category 9B

Check the deck plan just prior to selecting the room.

Edited by Gary from PA

Friend100, I've been puzzled by that option all night so I am glad you brought it up. It's a few dollars more to upgrade to the verandah but then there are all these whitewall choices. We are getting on OV because we have a 4 yr old and wasn't sure about the verandah option. I wish I could just pull up the deck plans like on a RCCL ship and see exactly where the cabins are. I must be doing something wrong. After 8 cruises, I didn't think booking on Disney would be so confusion...lol. Keep the advice coming. I am looking at the Jan 2, 2013 sailing.

On another note, does disney allow you to book combined packages with WDW? Thanks!!

There is a place to see the deck plans on the DCL site, I think it's labeled as Virtual Tour. Or just google Disney deck plans, there are other sites that have them.

There used to be land/sea packages. DCL stopped offering them once most people found out the could get better deals by booking WDW and DCL separately. You can add 1 or 2 days pre or post cruise as part of your cruise, but, I'd go the separate bookings route, if it were me.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your input in this process. Our cabin choices are as follows:

Category 5C Cabin 7058 & 7084 (Verandah)

Category 9B Cabin 2028 (Ocean View)

My husband does not like the idea of a lower deck. I've look at deck plans and all rooms seem okay. Any suggestions/feedback? I searched the forum to see if anyone had sailed in them but didn't find anything. Read a few comments on the disboards.

Your help is appreciated. I will check out the TA's as recommended since I am losing my $25 onboard credit if I process the booking that they are holding which I made over the phone. ridiculous!

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your input in this process. Our cabin choices are as follows:

My husband does not like the idea of a lower deck. I've look at deck plans and all rooms seem okay. Any suggestions/feedback? I searched the forum to see if anyone had sailed in them but didn't find anything. Read a few comments on the disboards.

Your help is appreciated. I will check out the TA's as recommended since I am losing my $25 onboard credit if I process the booking that they are holding which I made over the phone. ridiculous!

We enjoyed our stay on Deck 2 on our very first Disney Cruise.

Easier access from the lobby, just one stairs down.

Easier access to two dining restaurants, Enchanted Garden and Royal Palace on Decks 2 and 3

Minimum ship movement as these cabins are low down and amidship.Good for those with sensitivity to sea sickness.

Easier boarding and dis-embarkation.

Less dependence on always very busy elevators.

Hi Everyone,

Here are links to reviews of these cabins on Dream (not, Wonder and Magic cabins of same number are also thrown in, just make sure you are reading the right ones):

7058: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=7058&ship=Disney%20Dream

7084: http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=7084&ship=Disney%20Dream

2028: couldn't find one, but here are ones for 2026 and 2030:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=2026&ship=Disney%20Dream

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomreport.cfm?Room=2030&ship=Disney%20Dream

It is a really good idea not just to think about room category, but location. Look on the deck plan at what is above and below you. Ideally you'd like cabins above and below. If you see pool deck, clubs, theaters, or restaurants, there will probably be a lot of noise in the cabin. Cabins near an elevator also can have more traffic outside the door than those further from the elevator (which could be noisy), but it is also nice to be close to an elevator. You may also want to consider how easy it will be to get to destinations you might frequent. For example, if you know you're going to go to the pool every day, will you need to trek across the ship and up 9 decks to get there? If you will be using the kids club, is it convenient?

Best of luck with your planning, and hope it all works out!

Thanks everyone for your input and the links to the disboard reviews. I believe we will stay on Deck 7 but try to move more midship. The currently assigned cabin seems closer to the front than we would like. There are cabins above and below and it's not too far from the Kids Club on 5. I am so excited. Hubby is actually talking about the cruise now, so I am really excited. Yeah!! Thanks again everyone.

Hi, you have received a lot of advise but I'll give you my thoughts too. We've been on 7 Disney cruises with 8&9 booked this summer on Fantasy. We were on Dream last summer. The category 8 with 2 portholes are different than the 2 porthole rooms on Magic/Wonder. Dream/Fantasy cat 8 rooms have 2 large windows with padding on the bottom to sit on. We have a cat 8 room for next summer. One thing to know about these rooms is that you lose the split bath.

Verandas on these ships are kid friendly. Kids would have to work to climb over, although it could be done. There is plexiglass on the inside of the railing. The ones that list white walls are limited. These walls are railing height or lower.

I'm fairly new to the cruise critic boards but the disboards have lots of detailed info on the different cabins available. Check out the trip reports section, many post pictures of the cabins.

Good luck! Have a wonderful cruise.

Hi, you have received a lot of advise but I'll give you my thoughts too. We've been on 7 Disney cruises with 8&9 booked this summer on Fantasy. We were on Dream last summer. The category 8 with 2 portholes are different than the 2 porthole rooms on Magic/Wonder. Dream/Fantasy cat 8 rooms have 2 large windows with padding on the bottom to sit on. We have a cat 8 room for next summer. One thing to know about these rooms is that you lose the split bath.

Verandas on these ships are kid friendly. Kids would have to work to climb over, although it could be done. There is plexiglass on the inside of the railing. The ones that list white walls are limited. These walls are railing height or lower.

I'm fairly new to the cruise critic boards but the disboards have lots of detailed info on the different cabins available. Check out the trip reports section, many post pictures of the cabins.

Good luck! Have a wonderful cruise.

Thanks so much for the information, especially the verandah reassurance and the split bath information. We have decided to stick with deck 7 and switched to a starboard cabin since my research shows we will get better views. Now I have to plan our time at WDW prior to the cruise. I will need this vacation for real!

• 2 years later...

This is a question about the Fantasy, not the Dream, but a lot of the replies seem to be relevant.

Looking at a 9B cabin (2538) and the picture on the Disney website shows a slanted side wall with a tiny porthole.

That doesn't seem to be what people are describing here.'

Anyone have any experience with this cabin or something similar that can comment?