MICA guided tour

bobolink

How difficult is hiking on the glacier? How strenuous? I know it's not so safe to walk on our own so we want to take the trip with the gear that MICA provides. My husband is semi-disabled from major spine surgery. He can hike on trails, but not rough terrain. He is fearful of falling, but we both really want to do this trip, as does our 9 year old. I would really love to do the mid-length hike, rather than the shortest one.

I know the company can give me their advice......just thought I could get an opinion from those of you who have taken their trips.

I can't believe what we would have missed if we had not found this forum and had the advice of all the wonderful people who share their experiences.

Thanks,

Bobolink

I would ask the company about where they normally land and what the hiking is like there. However, weather conditions can also make a big difference. Also, if the hike requires crampons, the walking style while wearing crampons is different than "normal" walking and could possibly aggravate his back.

I would definately say your husband will be unsuitable for this tour. I have taken it and it does require crampons. It also is a long walk just to get to the glacier. A basic hike will require going up and down on the ice- it's never flat here.

Thanks, Wolfie and Budget Queen. I guess we will pass on this one. Any suggestions for an up close and personal that doesn't require a helicopter? We are going with Godwin out of Seward for the dogsled, but I think it is more snow than glacier. Would Exit or Mendenhall be the next best to access? We have time in each of those ports if needed.

Thanks again.

Planning this trip has changed so much since his surgery, but I know we'll have a glorious time, no matter what!!!

The glacier boat tours out of Whittier are just excellent with close up extended glacier viewing of several different glaciers. Exit glacier can be viewed from the "lower level", but the upper trail is very uneven and steep in a few areas. If you do wish to go on the upper level I would climb from the wash and not from marked trail direction- go backward. Mendenhall has easy paved paths, or you can walk the lake edge for an even closer view.

Just another consideration, the dog sledding can be bumpy and if on the back, coordination is needed for breaking.

Archived