Laptop software in the PH suites (Marina)

jakes47

I believe there will be a Laptop in our cabin but can any one tell me what software is on it? I was hoping for MS Word.

Bev

There is no word processing software loaded on those laptops at all. Truth be told, they are obviously only meant for Internet &/or Email use.

There is no word processing software loaded on those laptops at all. Truth be told, they are obviously only meant for Internet &/or Email use.

And, not very good at that, because you have to log on to the ship's service (and start paying for the minutes) just to compose your email or type your Cruise Critic post. There is np way to copy and paste, even from somethng as simple as a text program like Notepad. At least on your own laptop or tablet, you can compose your messages in whatever word processor you use and then sign on to the server to mil or post.

In the past (this now may be fixed; I'll report in a couple of weeks), it was much better to use one's own because one got kicked off the server so many times while composing, and losing whatever work was done.

I always bring my small but powerful laptop and Betsy's iPad. Together, they weigh just a bit more than 3 pounds.

I believe the only reason they put laptops in the suites is to make it easier for you to sign up for their outrageously priced internet packages. I simply unplugged mine and put it on a shelf in the closet. I did bring my own laptop which I couldn't even use in the PH as there was no connection. The only place I had a chance of logging on was in the computer center on Deck 14 right nest to the desk of the man in charge.

I believe there will be a Laptop in our cabin but can any one tell me what software is on it? I was hoping for MS Word.

Bev

Just got off the Marina on April 2 and noticed that our computer in a PH 3 did have word on it. Don't know if you can save to it or not as we did not use their lap top. Just put it in the drawer. We had our own lap tops and iPads. Wi Fi connectivity is vastly improved from last year but bandwidth is not large enough and downloads take FOREVER. It was not uncommon to take 15 minutes to download about 30 simple emails. No reading, just downloading and even then some did not download completely. We went through our 200 minutes long before the cruise was over and additional minutes were at the $.95 per minute rate.

Is that a netbook? How small is small? Inquiring minds want to know......

Mo

Hi, Mo, no it's an Acer Timeline, 1830T, has an i7 Core (which is supposed to be very powerful), 4 gigs RAM. 500 Gig HD, in a thin 11.7" package that weighs about 3 pounds with the 6 hour battery. They say it has a full size keyboard, but it's the reason I make so many typos -- my fingers are not agile enough. I can't stand the touchpad on this or any laptop, so I use a cordless Logitech mouse. The screen's a little small at around 11", but the advantages of a laptop that is small, lightweight, powerful, easy to carry, and fits in my small RV all combine to outweigh any shortcomings.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread :cool:

Ours went on the floor to free up space on the desktop. We had to prop open the PH door with the garbage can and sit in a chair by the doorway in order to allow an inadequate wireless signal to bleed into our room (at the suggestion of our butler). We were quite happy to tap into unprotected signals while in port and frequently the signal strength of other ships in the area was far superior to what we could get from Oceania. This is a well documented and ongoing issue.

I believe the only reason they put laptops in the suites is to make it easier for you to sign up for their outrageously priced internet packages. I simply unplugged mine and put it on a shelf in the closet. I did bring my own laptop which I couldn't even use in the PH as there was no connection. The only place I had a chance of logging on was in the computer center on Deck 14 right nest to the desk of the man in charge.

In the past (this now may be fixed; I'll report in a couple of weeks), it was much better to use one's own because one got kicked off the server so many times while composing, and losing whatever work was done.

I always bring my small but powerful laptop and Betsy's iPad. Together, they weigh just a bit more than 3 pounds.

Another advantage we found to having your own laptop/ipad is that our favorite sites are bookmarked and user names/passwords auto fill when you go to the site. This way you don't have to remember all your passwords, and you also save precious seconds filling it all in. At those frustrating speeds, every second counted for us.

Though I hope you report back that it's been improved by now!

Another advantage we found to having your own laptop/ipad is that our favorite sites are bookmarked and user names/passwords auto fill when you go to the site. This way you don't have to remember all your passwords, and you also save precious seconds filling it all in. At those frustrating speeds, every second counted for us.

Though I hope you report back that it's been improved by now!

I also keep digital copies of all our travel documents on my computer, all the credit card numbers I might need to call, and digital copies of most of the port research I've done. It's also much easier to do the check-in for flights at the end of the cruise; all the information I need is already stored. Once, I wanted to print something, so I transferred it to flash drive, took it to the comouter center, and the guru put it on his computer and printed it out for me.

We also got off on the 2nd and had a PH3 on deck 10. Word was loaded on the laptop provided. I had arranged for my gmail accounts to be forwarded to the Marina cruisemail email address assigned. These actually downloaded fairly quickly ( not as onerous as expected). I was able to read my emails at leisure without using up minutes. Purchased 100 minutes ( yes they do charge too much for minutes!) for replies I needed to do and gmail loaded very quickly. Had ample time left to goof off on Facebook and Cruise Critic!

Just got off the Marina on April 2 and noticed that our computer in a PH 3 did have word on it. Don't know if you can save to it or not as we did not use their lap top. Just put it in the drawer. We had our own lap tops and iPads. Wi Fi connectivity is vastly improved from last year but bandwidth is not large enough and downloads take FOREVER. It was not uncommon to take 15 minutes to download about 30 simple emails. No reading, just downloading and even then some did not download completely. We went through our 200 minutes long before the cruise was over and additional minutes were at the $.95 per minute rate.

We also got off on the 2nd and had a PH3 on deck 10. Word was loaded on the laptop provided. I had arranged for my gmail accounts to be forwarded to the Marina cruisemail email address assigned. These actually downloaded fairly quickly ( not as onerous as expected). I was able to read my emails at leisure without using up minutes. Purchased 100 minutes ( yes they do charge too much for minutes!) for replies I needed to do and gmail loaded very quickly. Had ample time left to goof off on Facebook and Cruise Critic!

Ron, that was a very creative use oif the OceaniaAtSea Email address! I never saw it mentioned before. For others, the email address provided by Oceania (something like YourName.YourShip@OceaniaAtSea.com -- it will be in your final diocuments) allows you to receive emails at no charge - but there is a $3.95 charge per message if you SEND an email. What Ron did, before he left home, was to set up a forwarding of his email to that cruiseship account. That's a terrific idea! I'm going to do the same.

Ron, were you able to use MS Word without logging in and using your minutes? If so, that removes my primary objection to the internet on Oceania. If we end up with being able to compose messeages in Word and then paste them into Email or a forum, combined with improved signal stregth throughout the ships, and reasonable (faster than dial-up) speed, 90% of my objections are removed. There is still the isue of expense compared to other cruiselines, but as far as I'm concerned, that's secondary to the ability to use the system fluidly.

I can't wait until boarding Marina to try it all out! I promise a full report as soon as I have it sorted out.

Ron, that was a very creative use oif the OceaniaAtSea Email address! I never saw it mentioned before. For others, the email address provided by Oceania (something like YourName.YourShip@OceaniaAtSea.com -- it will be in your final diocuments) allows you to receive emails at no charge - but there is a $3.95 charge per message if you SEND an email. What Ron did, before he left home, was to set up a forwarding of his email to that cruiseship account. That's a terrific idea! I'm going to do the same.

Ron, were you able to use MS Word without logging in and using your minutes? If so, that removes my primary objection to the internet on Oceania. If we end up with being able to compose messeages in Word and then paste them into Email or a forum, combined with improved signal stregth throughout the ships, and reasonable (faster than dial-up) speed, 90% of my objections are removed. There is still the isue of expense compared to other cruiselines, but as far as I'm concerned, that's secondary to the ability to use the system fluidly.

I can't wait until boarding Marina to try it all out! I promise a full report as soon as I have it sorted out.

Forwarding your E-mail to the OceaniaAtSea E-mail address is a GREAT idea. Unfortunately , I don't know how to do it. I have AOL E-mail (don't know if that makes a difference). If someone would let me know how to forward it , I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Forwarding your E-mail to the OceaniaAtSea E-mail address is a GREAT idea. Unfortunately , I don't know how to do it. I have AOL E-mail (don't know if that makes a difference). If someone would let me know how to forward it , I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Google your question and I'm sure you'll get many answers.:)

I also keep digital copies of all our travel documents on my computer, all the credit card numbers I might need to call, and digital copies of most of the port research I've done. It's also much easier to do the check-in for flights at the end of the cruise; all the information I need is already stored. Once, I wanted to print something, so I transferred it to flash drive, took it to the computer center, and the guru put it on his computer and printed it out for me.

More great ideas. We learned the hard way about doing on-line research on a cruise. Typically for trips we'll do some research in advance but also do some as we go. Now we know that if cruising we'll need to spend more time on the front end to avoid the cost, but mostly the frustration, of relying on the ship's signal.

Ron, can you clarify this for me - are you saying – you don’t have to log on to Internet to retrieve your ship mail – or you do but it down loads fast then you can log off to read and write your replies.

I have been on to my email account and I can redirect so it sounds like a great option.

Correct - you do not have to log on to the internet to view your cruisemail account. However, if you try to click on a web link within the email, then you would be prompted to log onto the internet. I was not able to forward my gmail account until around 1 p.m. of embarkation day because my ship's email address had not yet been activated. So I did have to pay for internet access to reach my gmail account to do the following (directions from a google/gmail support site):

"Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select Settings.

Click the Forwarding and POP/IMAP tab.

From the first drop-down menu in the "Forwarding" section, select 'Add new email address.'

Enter the email address to which you'd like your messages forwarded.

For your security, we'll send a verification to that email address.

Open your forwarding email account, and find the confirmation message from the Gmail team.

Click the verification link in that email.

Back in your Gmail account, select the 'Forward a copy of incoming mail to...' option and select your forwarding address from the drop-down menu.

Select the action you'd like your messages to take from the drop-down menu. You can choose to keep Gmail's copy of the message in your inbox, or you can send it automatically to All Mail or Trash.

Click Save Changes."

Your cruisemail account on the ship ends around 7 a.m. on your disemarkation day. So remember to unforward either before leaving the ship or as soon as you get home to avoid bounced email messages.

Ron, can you clarify this for me - are you saying – you don’t have to log on to Internet to retrieve your ship mail – or you do but it down loads fast then you can log off to read and write your replies.

I have been on to my email account and I can redirect so it sounds like a great option.

Pressed for time but

I have never seen a Windows machine that does not have

Word or Works on it.

I have never been on a machine that Ctrl C (Copy) Ctrl V (Paste)

does not work

Never Ever Ever use Autofill for any reason. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

For smart Alec,s , I do know what Linux is. :rolleyes:

Been in the game for fifty years.

Pressed for time but

I have never seen a Windows machine that does not have

Word or Works on it.

I have never been on a machine that Ctrl C (Copy) Ctrl V (Paste)

does not work

Never Ever Ever use Autofill for any reason. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

For smart Alec,s , I do know what Linux is. :rolleyes:

Been in the game for fifty years.

Just bought a laptop with Windows 7 on it. No word or works installed. There is a 30 day trial version and then you have to buy it.

We use Open Office which is free.

I would assume Oceania is buying 100s of laptops and can have them configured as they wish. When we were on Marina I don't remember seeing any work processing program although the laptop ended up in the closet as the wi-fi never worked in the cabin.

Perhaps it is different in Australia.

Bev

We just returned from a cruise in a pent house suite and there is no software on the lap top. We are booked on another cruise with them in June and we are taking some software to load...

We just returned from a cruise in a pent house suite and there is no software on the lap top. We are booked on another cruise with them in June and we are taking some software to load...

I don't believe that ANY "Public Computers" will allow for the installation of Software. The aim of that is twofold, Oceania doesn't want any viruses (intentional or unintentional) installed on their machines, and un-installing all of "your stuff" after "your cruise" is over would be VERY labor intensive.

The concept of "Public" computers must send chills to the heart of any IP tech on board.

Should they actually allow their computers to be completely accessible for the period of a cruise, but they would have to be inspected and cleared of any data, files, software, etc. that may have been added during that period. Not only would the tech have to delete pictures, data, correspondence, etc. but should someone load an infected program or trojan horse, the "cleanup" of the damage could take forever.

I think the the previous poster who said they would bring their own software to load on their next cruise may be in for a surprise.

Archived