Any MUST buys in Greece

SSLaly

Hello!!! I wanted to find out if you have purchased things in Greece that you consider MUST BUYS!

I read somewhere that in Mykonos someone got Olive Oil Soaps that are amazing.... a friend of mine said someone told her about a wine, but she doesn't remember the name... any suggestions!

thanks! Gladys

Jewelry, of course! It is easy to pack and every time you wear a piece, you will remember where you purchased it.

Last summer while in Greece, I purchased several pieces that have the "Greek Key" design. Some in sterling silver, another with semi-precious stones. Brought home several designs for my daughters and a beautiful cross for my son in law.

On Mykonos, I found a Christmas ornament that has hand painted Windmills.

One of my favorites (and I wish I would have purchased more) Salad Tongs. When we were on the Amalfi Coast, they had beautiful wood and ceramic salad tongs. On the ceramic part, beautiful lemons and on the back of the handle, "Ravello". They were not expensive and made lovely gifts.

Guess I will just have to go back and get more! :)

I tend to buy souvenirs that I will actually use. Not things that sit on a shelf. I did purchase some water color prints in Santorini for my office.

Have fun!

Hmmm lets see.

Corfu - soaps and a gold coin ring for my son. They do gorgeous gold work. Also some neat wood carvings. Ouzo for my brother.

Athens - black and white prints of ancient Athens and a t shirt from the Athens Hard Rock Cafe for my daughter

Santorini - a gold coin pendant for me !

Mykonos - leather sandals

Crete - soaps again :) some beautiful embroidered items

and always the obligatory tourist "book" from each place. I'm sure I am leaving some items out...... have fun !

Jewelry, of course! It is easy to pack and every time you wear a piece, you will remember where you purchased it.

Last summer while in Greece, I purchased several pieces that have the "Greek Key" design. Some in sterling silver, another with semi-precious stones. Brought home several designs for my daughters and a beautiful cross for my son in law.

On Mykonos, I found a Christmas ornament that has hand painted Windmills.

One of my favorites (and I wish I would have purchased more) Salad Tongs. When we were on the Amalfi Coast, they had beautiful wood and ceramic salad tongs. On the ceramic part, beautiful lemons and on the back of the handle, "Ravello". They were not expensive and made lovely gifts.

Guess I will just have to go back and get more! :)

I tend to buy souvenirs that I will actually use. Not things that sit on a shelf. I did purchase some water color prints in Santorini for my office.

Have fun!

This got me so excited for my trip this summer! I love to collect Xmas ornaments from each place I visit, and I love the sound of the windmill ornament! I also bought the tongs last year when I was in Positano, but I was told they were pasta tongs! I have used them for salad as well though, and I gave a pair to each of my daughter-in-laws who love them. I can't wait to buy some of the olive oil soaps and the delicious lemon candies on the Amalfi coast.

Two purchases I made in Santorini are among my favorite buys of all time:

1) Hand Made Gladiator sandals from B & B (Very unique and beautiful; seems like they were 50E.)

2) Wool pillow covers depicting Greek scenes (So easy to transport and make great gifts! About 12E each.)

Sandals from Stavros, the 'Poet Sandalmaker' of Athens:

http://www.melissinos-poet.com/eng/index.html

Worry beads (you'll see men all over playing with these things at all hours of the day or night).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeQDEWOSt-wR_UF8BeXK1yUl-6zkiosx6_wCABST7u3HXw513Z

Glass/ceramics with the 'evil eye'.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGIENIIpsFDYlEmezXuEzg7106Oy7NZ4rrTy52ncFpKrA9r8GO

I really like the look of Minoan figures/sculture, so have purchased several of them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRO34a-BWATwo2llMDkrwmGx4r76Ji_NPWbTmoFQZHu9YgkjtPinoRRsdOY

2nd day of a 30 day Greece trip.....bought a sheepskin rug on the way to Delphi....lugged it all over......but it was absolutely worth it!!! It's gorgeous. They tied it up very tightly and was a bit easier to carry and reduced it's size!!!

And of course in Greece.....gold, gold, gold.....

Funny..I had forgotten..a few years back we got our little sheepskin, too, and love him still!! We actually took a small little duffel with us all folded up so we could put one in and they folded it small enough to fit!

Sherry

You can get olive oil soap all over Greece.

But like your friend I got bars for myself and gifts for friends on Mykonos. It was a shop I think is called Olive Tree. They had a picture of the oldest olive tree in Greece on the back wall. It is indeed fabulous. On Mykonos I also bought chess set with Greek gods and godesess figurines for my granson. Jewelry with the blue bead"evil" eye. These beads are given to young girls to keep them safe. Of course I gave the pendant to my grandaughter.:)

In Athens I bought a pendant with a ancient calendar imprint with the Gr key design. Also bought a small icon. And olive oil.

Most of these were for Christmas gifts for my family.

Enjoy your cruise and just remember, you have to fit all this in your luggage.:D

Archived