HAL vs Carnival

2 cruzen

We sailed Carnival with another couple on a 7 day Carribean cruise. Although the food was good, our cabin was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly I still felt it didn't measure up to HAL but I couldn't explain why. Several months later DH and I sailed HAL on Panama Canal cruise. While in port in Costa Rica we were docked next to a Carnival ship. The pier was crowded with passengers of both ships waiting to board. As we waited in line a HAL steward greeted us and gave us icy cold cloths. I heard a lady in the Carnival line say to her husband "Why don't WE get a cold cloth?" He answered "Because we're on Carnival" That's when it hit me... the difference is the pampering. On Carnival I had fun but I didn't feel pampered. ( I know some who read this may say " That's one expensive towel!" but it just illustrates the little touches on HAL that make it special.)

We sailed Carnival with another couple on a 7 day Carribean cruise. Although the food was good, our cabin was clean and comfortable and the staff was friendly I still felt it didn't measure up to HAL but I couldn't explain why. Several months later DH and I sailed HAL on Panama Canal cruise. While in port in Costa Rica we were docked next to a Carnival ship. The pier was crowded with passengers of both ships waiting to board. As we waited in line a HAL steward greeted us and gave us icy cold cloths. I heard a lady in the Carnival line say to her husband "Why don't WE get a cold cloth?" He answered "Because we're on Carnival" That's when it hit me... the difference is the pampering. On Carnival I had fun but I didn't feel pampered. ( I know some who read this may say " That's one expensive towel!" but it just illustrates the little touches on HAL that make it special.)

Even though I haven't taken my first HAL cruise, I agree with this statement. We frequently cruise in a suite, and on Carnival the suite perks are priority embarkation and disembarkation. Other than that, and the extra real estate, there is no advantage to cruising in a suite on Carnival. Every other line provides a variety of benefits for suite passengers, so that's something I take into consideration when looking at cruises.

We had avoided Carnival for years because we had heard the party boat horror stories. Then several people told us that the vibe on their longer cruises is very different, especially if you avoid school break times.

So when Carnival was the only line offering an itinerary we wanted at the time we wanted to go, we decided to give it a try.

We were very pleasantly surprised. The food was at least as good as on HAL and the entertainment was better. Stateroom and dining room service were fine. The ship was clean and well maintained. We never saw any drunk or unruly passengers.

The ship was not crowded because it was far below maximum capacity. Since there were few children on board, most of the cabins that can accommodate 3 or 4 people had only 1 or 2 in them.

The time that you cruise can make a big difference in the passenger load.

Just as on other ships, we did not attend activities that did not appeal to us.

(It is our understanding that attendance at the hairy chest contest is not mandatory.) ;)

What we disliked most were the PA announcements, most of which we considered annoying and unnecessary. At least they were not broadcast inside the cabins.

It is true that they didn't offer us the cold cloths at the ports and they did not have HAL's wonderful library, but we were able to book a very nice, large veranda cabin for a price far below the cost of equivalent accommodations on HAL.

So to us it is well worth making such small sacrifices for the significant cost difference.

We would not hesitate to book Carnival if it is one of their longer cruises on one of their smaller ships at a time when most schools are in session.

Guess we are easy to please because we are happy on a cruise as long as we have an itinerary we want, comfortable accommodations, good service, food and entertainment.

The extra touches, while nice, are not essential to us.

NCL greeted us with cool towels on one port day, but not all. The beds on NCL were AWFUL (yes, capital letters, I'm yelling it). We all had achy backs, even the kids, the entire trip.

Thought I would weigh in on this one also. Loved our HAL cruise on the Noordam and I agree the pampering is a notch above anything you will find on Carnival. Have been on Carnival Spirit class ships 5 times and love the size and layout which someone noted is quite similiar to HAL Vista class. Have found food on Carnival every bit as good as HAL or Celebrity and even prefer the main dining options better. Lido deck servings are quite comprable on all three but again you will find pampering touches on HAL and Celebrity you will not get on Carnival. Depends what your expectations are and what your willing to pay for them. I firmly believe you get a far better dollar value on Carnival. That been said we would definitely cruise HAL again but we are booked on an 8 day on Carnival Freedom next winter and it should be interesting as we have never been on a ship that big before. As far as the demographics go we have found it similiar on all three but we tend to cruise on 8 day or longer cruises and try to stay away from spring break which makes a big difference in the demographic make up of the clientel. :)

They can call Carnival anything they want, we like them but have done several other lines and are ready for another HAL next time. I was ready for great food when we last did HAL and actually found it no different than any other ship not that that is bad, there is always good food and good variety of food on most of the ships. I have never gone hungary on a cruise. I do like the bathtubs on HAL.

I am looking forward to trying HAL - been on Carnival twice and RCCL once w/another booked. I enjoyed both a LOT!! 1 difference for me was that I was lost constantly on Carnival Valor & on the AOS - I could actually find where I needed to go!

My experience with Carnival is very mixed. I have taken 7 cruises with them. Probably 4 has been fair to good, the rest, not so good. The worse was the one from San Juan to southern Caribbean last year.

After that cruise I made a point not to cruise with Carnival anymore. I would rather stay with Royal Caribbean, Princess, HAL or Celebrity. Enough Carnival for me!

Having taken several cruises on each, I prefer HAL to Carnival. I did enjoy a Carnival cruise to the Med about 3 years ago, but we had another couple traveling with us and didn't spend as much time as usual on the Lido deck. The last cruise I took was on a smaller ship out of New Orleans that was very disappointing. Two of our party are smokers and since Carnival has eliminated smoking in the staterooms, we were frequently forced into a small area between the Lido deck "stage" and the bar. Between the constant music that was overwhelmingly loud and the drunks stumbling back and forth to the bar, it was impossible to carry on a conversation--or one night to even tolerate the noise. I am avoiding Carnival now, although I might be tempted by an outstanding price for some place I really wanted to go.

Like some of the others, I have also sailed on both Carnival and HAL. Both have their good features and bad features. I consider Carnival to be "good", and HAL to be "better" - for our tastes.

BUT, like some others, give me the right itinerary and the right price and I am very flexible - Carnival, HAL, or NCL.

Carnival is a fine product but comparing them to HAL is like comparing apples to kumquats. Both are fruits but are vastly different.

I enjoyed HAL so much that I'm pretty much done with Carnival. We were on the Eurodam, and I really enjoyed the dining and peace and quiet on HAL.

Carnival is the "Fun Ship" and there's always some activity or another being announced. On HAL they give you a schedule and you have to decide what you want to do with not much for reminders.

We'll sail pretty much anyone... but if I had a choice between HAL or CCL, it would be HAL despite being on the younger side of their demographic.

Both cruise lines have their advantages and disadvantages. I like the embarkation and disembarcation on HAL because you go straight to your room and don't have to wait. Disdembarkation is nicer because they don't push you off the ship first thing in the morning and make you stand in line. Customs comes on board and you a processed by deck. At least that is how it was in San Diego off the Statendam.

On HAL, at least on the Statendam, I also love that the bathtub in the rooms. I wish however, that the beds were not against the window wall.

I like the smaller ship atmosphere on HAL: The Spa people new me by name. I really enjoyed the violin quartet before dinner. I liked that there was a guy that walked around ringing a dinner bell. There was no loud music on the lido deck and once the steward knew you want to be served a drink, he always made sure to ask if you wanted a refill. The food was great in both the dining room and the lido deck but if you didn't catch it while it was open then there were minimal options. Also HAL room service options are better.

The itineraries on HAL seem to be more exotic an more inconsistant and longer than CC, so if you can't make the stops when it is scheduled than you may have to wait.

CC is great for short cruises, but the ships are usually smaller and more crowded, but if you want a party or have kids, CC is the cruise line for you.

We will be going on a 7-day cruise out of Tampa on CC in November and then a Holliday cruise on HAL out of Tampa again in Dec. so I'll be able to compare them better.

Oh, and I almost forgot. On HAL, I didn't feel like was constantly schilled for more gratuity. When I gave them my card for an acholic beverage, I expected to have to sign a receipt, you know the ones where there is an additional line for more gratuity than the additional 15% they already add that they give on CC. I really liked that. Also, you could add some bailey's your coffee in the explorers lounge. I think one of the most important thing- you know how CC at the end of the cruise at the "customs talk", they schill you for more gratuity than what is added to you bill for something for the Maitor D, on HAL thy give you a little show and say "thank you". Boy, what a relief. I understand the gratuity process and consider myself a good tipper. I just don't like being guilted into tippping more.

I was happy to see this thread. We usually take a family cruise in the spring. HAL has always been our favourite. This year we are unable to sail until summer. The only Carribean cruise lines sailing are NCL, CC and RCL (but only the three largest ships.) I am considering booking the Carnival Liberty in August. This thread has given me a lot of helpful insights...that is what is so wonderful about cruise critic! Thank you.

I agree with jigerman and fleckle, far better value for money on Carnival if you stay away from school vacation time. And the nightlife is totally different- you'll notice that none of the HAL boosters claim that there is any on HAL.

Archived