Anyone heard from Island Wings lately?

uktog

Booked with them in Feb for our visit in Sept, Michelle said they would be in touch at the end of the month for our deposits; no contact and the emails I have sent offering to pay are unanswered. International calling charges limit me pickingup the phone and following up that way

Booked with them in Feb for our visit in Sept, Michelle said they would be in touch at the end of the month for our deposits; no contact and the emails I have sent offering to pay are unanswered. International calling charges limit me pickingup the phone and following up that way

Hi-

We had a nice trip with Michelle last summer---she is very knowledgable and personable--so I would keep trying. I would say, however, that I had similar (and other) problems that you mentioned---while I can rave about the trip, I can't speak as strongly to her company's back office or administrative abilities.

Please understand that this a very hectic week for everyone in the Alaska

tourism business. Things have to get done, the weather has been nice, other

local folks are probably requesting charters so she has to fly a lot. Most of these

one man operations like Island Wings, Family Air and others are just that. One

man. Their is no office person or telephone operator. No one to check email on

an hourly basis. Not only do they have to fly the plane they have to do everything else as well. Some of these operators like Michelle, will hire an extra

person or 2 for the summer. But usually the extra help doesn't start until the

1st or 2nd week in May. So be patient and I am sure everyones questions will

be answered.......

I am not sure what excursion you were hoping to book, but you may have difficulty booking any Bear-watching excursions for August with Island Wings.

I had e-mailed them mid-March, and they told me they were already booked up for the date I was gong to be in Ketchikan (8/26).

At the time I e-mailed Island Wings, Michele was on vacation, and there was someone else in the office answering her e-mails (Jarod).

You may also want to try

Southeast Aviation (http://www.southeastaviation.com/)

or

Carlin Air (http://www.carlinair.com/)

They also run flight tours, and were extremely helpful and prompt in their replies.

I booked Island Wings on February 7 for our August excursion and was informed they would contact us in March for payment information. I did receive a call from Jared two weeks ago to confirm and provided info. I know that it's taking a bit of time to return calls and emails.

Thanks for all the answers - I will keep trying - being a one person business myself I know the stresses of keeping everything going - I also know the cash flow fun, so was concerned that I might owe Michele money

I am soo looking forward to this trip:D

I booked our trip with Michelle last October for June cruise. I just recently (within the last 2 weeks) sent my deposit and received the written confirmation from Michelle's co-worker. They had originally told me they would take my deposit end of January or so, but looks like they were a little behind getting schedules worked out. Maybe they are contacting people by what month your are booked?? My emails had been returned within a few days, so might try emailing again? We've never booked with Island Wings, but we are very excited and from what I've read on these boards, Island Wings is top notch. Good luck and happy cruising. :)

She called to confirm our reservation and get some additional info. She told me she would be taking care of some scheduled maintenance on the plane this week, and probably would not be in the office. She said everyone is busy getting ready for the start of the "season". Was very nice to talk to....am really looking forward to our flight !!!!

We are "sorted" Jared has just emailed me - I think the view that they were working month by month is probably correct - we are a Sept booking; it was only we had expected to pay in Feb so I wanted to make sure there had not been a problem. I think this is going to be one great trip:) Thanks for everyones input

Your trip will be worth the wait. We flew with Michelle a couple of years ago. You were wise to book early. She books up very quickely. Bring extra film or backup batteries if digital is your choice. Enjoy. You made a wise choice.

We emailed last year before trip, but like many others, did not confirm. When we tried to email a few days before, we got no response.

Decided to "wing" it. We booked them at the pier and loved the trip. Michelle is great. Interesting story. There were three big ships in port that day. We entered the tourist office on the pier and there are about 10 companies there pitching their tours. It was almost funny with everyone going after us. We listed to two pitches, got confused, went outside.

Came back in and went direct to Island Wings based on what we had heard on these boards and booked it. The guys that worked hard trying to sell us just shook their heads.

Anyone know if chances are better of clear weather in the afternoon or morning? We have our choice of flights (in May). Weather usually clears up in Seattle after noon, but mornings can be overcast.

Thanks

I emailed Island Wings and Southeast Aviation in early April for more info about their tours. Island wings never responded. The owner of Southeast Aviation (Jim) promptly replied. I ended up emailing him a few times with more of my rookie questions to which he very kindly replied. I actually called his office to book the tour and spoke to him directly. Very kind, efficient, and helpful.

Anyone know if chances are better of clear weather in the afternoon or morning? We have our choice of flights (in May). Weather usually clears up in Seattle after noon, but mornings can be overcast.

Thanks

I don't know about the weather, but Jim at Southeast Aviation suggested either an early morning or late afternoon tour to avoid the glare of the sun that you get midday. Hoping that we all get some sun!

Archived