Chops and Portifino's questions

Hi, We are going on the Liberty of the Seas this summer. We have been on numerous cruises with RCCL but have never tried Chops or Portifinos, but would like to make reservations at one of them or both of them on this cruise. My husband will be celebrating his birthday on the cruise.

Does the $20.00 and $30.00 charge include appetizer and dinner and the dessert. Also is the gratuity included? How was the food???

Ate at both last week and in mourning now.

The charge includes starter, entree and desert!! Enough wonderful food to make you cry. Wine is extra. The charge includes everything and supposedly tip to, tho we always have such exceptional service that I leave extra. Worth every penny!

Ate at both last week and in mourning now.

The charge includes starter, entree and desert!! Enough wonderful food to make you cry. Wine is extra. The charge includes everything and supposedly tip to, tho we always have such exceptional service that I leave extra. Worth every penny!

Thanks so much for the reply. OK another question- hopefully I don't sound cheap but...if you only go to the dining room a couple of nights, do you still have to tip for the nights that we don't go to the dining room for dinner?

I always tip the full amount even when I went to the MDR only 3 times on a 7 day cruise.

My rational: I'd hate to be trapped aboard a cruise ship in staff quarters, and in the dining room at all hours (breakfast thru late dinner) and only make a fraction of what I expected. Just MHO ;)

We tried Chops for the first time this summer and loved it. We are going there twice next cruise (both formal nights). We have found that we don't have to pack formal wear if we do this. We still dress nicely, just not formal.

I was also told the tip at Chops was included. However, the server hinted to my husband and I that not very much of the charged amount goes towards the tip....in other words he was asking for more. We gave an extra ten dollars. While I was surprised to be asked for this, I was happy to add a bit.

The food was awesome. We started with crab cake which I had wished we ordered extra on that. (from what I understand you can order extra on anything but the entree). Then we ordered filets and 3 sides. We chose some potatoes with a white cheese sauce on them, onion rings, and asparagus. The potatoes were the best (to me). Then mud pie for dessert! It melted in our mouths. It was a lot to eat at one sitting though. This time, I might have them box up half my dessert to take back to our room for the next day.

And yes, we still gave our dining room servers the tip amount for each night, including the ones we were not there. It's vacation and we just budget for all that.

We also purchased the soda package for the first time this summer. Loved being able to have all the diet coke we wanted.

We also tried Samba's on this cruise, but I still liked Chops better.

PS: Our Chops filet was so good that I ordered it in the main dining room a couple times as well. I think it was an upcharge of 14.95. I wish they would offer an upcharged dessert in the main dining room also. I'd pay for mud pie every night!

I've never done Portofino's...although will be on our next cruise.

We went to Chops on our last grill and the filet was DELICIOUS! We decided to do it as a treat for our anniversary and were glad we gave it a shot.

Enjoy!

On our Christmas cruise on the Liberty, Portofino's was better than Chops. The steaks are just as good in Portofino's as Chops, and I kind of think they serve the same ones. I may be wrong, it has happened before ;)

We normally tip a little extra in the specialty restaurants because the service is so great.

For our Christmas trip, we ate in the MDR 3/5 nights but left the tips the same. We often saw our servers in the Lido buffet area during breakfast and lunch. Our assistant waiter was the fresh orange juice guy! I would feel weird having them clean up behind us in another food venue and lower the recommended gratuity because we didn't eat in the MDR every night.

I've only ever had the filet. They had 2 sizes. Got the larger of the two. They offered 3 sauces with it. Loved the bernaise sauce. So rich and buttery. That was on the Radiance.

Can't wait for 6 months to roll by so I can go to Chops again!

We ate at Chops on the Enchantment last year and loved it, it was definitely worth the money. Just 2 weeks ago we sailed the Explorer and tried Portofinos and didn't care for it at all, although others that we talked to really liked it, so I guess it's personal choice. We will definitely do Chops again!

We tried Chops for the first time this summer and loved it. We are going there twice next cruise (both formal nights). We have found that we don't have to pack formal wear if we do this. We still dress nicely, just not formal.

That is our strategy as well.:). My preference is Chops but on Adventure OTS, Portifino's was excellent! Already booked Chops for first formal night on 5/6 cruise and am debating which venue for the second. We typically tip $20 for a table of four.

We go to Portofino at least once on every cruise and often go to Chops too. I like the filet in Portofino much better than that in Chops. Portofino is definitely not your regular Italian restaurant.

We also tip extra when we go there because the service is so good. We also do not adjust our tips for the MDR when we eat at Portofino or Chops. It's not the waiter's fault that we decided not to eat in the MDR. Our place is still reserved there and waiting for us. In the overall cost of a cruise, the small amount that goes to the waiter for one meal is just a drop in the bucket.

Children under 13 are welcome until 7PM according to the Royal Caribbean website. Enjoy!

Archived