No Excursions-Would it be worth it?

goldtopan

I put a 24 hour hold on a 7day cruise for a real good price. If you didn't do any excursions would it really be worth it?

We been on two vacations already this year and really don't want to turn this into a big cost.

Opinions appreciated.

Take that 7 day cruise. Even if you do not take excursions in my opinion it is still worth to be in Alaska. In each and every stop you make there is always something to do. Take walks, shop, etc. I do not know what ship or itiiniery you have but you probably stop in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan etc. There is always views to take in. Take that cruise.

marilyn

I agree. Juneau has a couple museums within walking distance downtown. And it's a $10 bus trip to Mendenhall Glacier and back. Several things in Ketchikan within walking distance of the pier and if the fish are running you could also rent a pole and do some fishing in Creek Street. Skagway has a free walking tour of the town and you could walk to the cemetary (sounds weird but its not as strange as it sounds) and then you could take a hike to a lake. And the scenery is always free.

Yep. Lots to do even without excursions.

-Monte

Because there is so much to see and do that is free. If this is your first time to Alaska, in my opinion you will have a great time with or without excursions. Can't speak for Skagway (never been there) but Juneau and Ketchikan are very walkable, and you can see and do a lot on your own. A shuttle bus runs from the dock to Mendenhall Glacier for $5-10.

We too will be doing the Alaska 7 night without a single excursion. It seems for this first cruise, we need to scope out the sites Then, down the road when we go back, we should have a good feeling for which excursions will suit our desires. Our budget truly does not allow us to do many of these expensive excursions. We know, without a doubt, we will have a wonderful time on this trip. The ship alone will take us through a couple of days of "search and discover". From what I have read, there are many, many things to do in each port to keep us busy and won't deplete the entire retirement fund. Also, it sounds as though one trip to Alaska is never enough - so we will return, I am sure. Have a great time on your trip!! :)

(Oops - just remembered, my husband may do the White Pass Train Trip in Skagway! )

Go for it! Look for the cool things that most people never get to see because they're always in a rush to go on an excursion. Check out the memorial to Patsy Ann, the dog who was Juneau's official ambassador in the 1930's. There are lots of museums which are free or cheap. The park service has some great stuff in Skagway, although if you do one excursion, I would pick the train. In Juneau, rent a car and drive around to some of the parts of town where visitors never go. Go for hikes or rent bikes. You will get to see the "real" Alaska and meet lots of Alaskans (most of whom have never done any of the excursions either). You'll have a great time and bring back some really good memories.

I was just going to suggest that you rent a car in Skagway and drive into the Yukon. It gives you a completely different view of the area and it is a cheap trip. YOu can rent a car for about $50 and if you can find someone to share it with you that makes it really cheap for a great trip. Of course you would have to pre-reserve the car now. That being said, I do think that it would be worth the trip even if you don't do any excursions. There is lots to do.

Agree with all of the above. Lots to see free and lots to do with very little $$. Ports are easy to get around by walking and you could come away from this cruise with a real feel for Alaska without even getting off the ship! Have a great cruise!

Went last year, we travel lots and this was a great trip. We did only ONE excursion, and that was a last minute flight. Even without it, the trip was wonderful and going back this year, and doing only one excursion.

We also did the $5 bus to Mendenhahl Glacier. So cheap, we did not even count that one. Lots to do without out all the money $ucking.

I put a 24 hour hold on a 7day cruise for a real good price. If you didn't do any excursions would it really be worth it?

We been on two vacations already this year and really don't want to turn this into a big cost.

Opinions appreciated.

It sounds like you travel a lot. If so, then I will assume this will not be your only trip to Alaska. If that is the case and you want to make the cruise an introduction to Alaska, then by all means do so.

If, however, it is likely to be the "trip of a lifetime", then I recommend postponing the trip until you do a lot of homework and planning. Then I suggest you consider taking a cruise combined with a land portion in the interior (Fairbanks/Denali/Talkeetna/Anchorage/etc.)

Enjoy Alaska!

The tours are what make my trips to Alaska, and they certainly are a priority for me. I am fortunate to have an over paid job, no money worries and 8 weeks of paid touring time per year.

Here are my top- budget gems to consider in Alaska Inside Passage ports

Juneau- request their visitor guide http://www.traveljuneau.com

Mendenhall Glacier shuttle bus, $10rt, or even cheaper city bus with a 1 mile level walk to the glacier, an easy trail is the Intrepretive trail 1/2 mile - pick up the guide sheet, also the city bus for a stop at the hatchery. Pick up is on Franklin down and across from the Red Dog, a small sign is on the street. State Capital, Juneau Douglas City Museum, Alaska State museum, capital, downtown walking tour with a map from the dock visitor center

Skagway http://www.skagway.com Definately make a stop to the Park Service Visitor center http://www.nps.gov/klgo/schedule.htm , hike the Lower Dewey trail, 1 1/2 level mile walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery and Reid's Falls, walk back via Alaska for a look at the airport and school. bike rental for a wonderful ride out toward Dyea, with stops along the way.

Ketchikan- http://www.visit-ketchikan great walking city, pick up a walking tour map from the dock visitor center, reasonable Saxman Village tours available. In town, Dolly's House- tour about $5, Alaska Public Lands building for exhibits, Tongass Historical Museum, small hatchery and Totem Heritage museum combo ticket, with a nice walk up Park, continue through the city Park and back down Deermont, gives a good look at residental life. Ride the funicular up to the Fox Westmark, out the back are some beautiful totems, then walk back down via the "Married Man's trail". :)

Sitka- excellent walking city, consider the all day shuttle bus for $7 if needed. But a great walk- 1 level mile at Sitka Historical Park, consider purchasing the cheap totem guide book, really enhances the walk. Raptor Center- worthy of your admission- less than $15, Sheldon museum, St. Michael's Church small admission.

I also really like the libraries, again a look at residential life and usually free internet access.

I heartily agree with every one else. You MUST do it. When we went on our first cruise, we were told, "The cruise is your vacation, the ports and excursions are just extras". Go on the cruise and see Alaska. Do get off at every stop and mix with the locals. If you like to shop or browse, there is plenty of that in every port. Go see the Mendenhall Glacier for $10.00. Walk around Creek Street in Ketchikan. In any of the ports, just go out and 'smell' Alaska. It's not how much you spend that determinds how your cruise goes, it's how YOU enjoy your time there. I've said this several times before. Too many people just rush around all day from one thing to another and they never rreally stop and 'smell' Alaska. Take the time to Smell the Roses, relax and enjoy it. You won't be sorry.

On our first cruise to Alaska, we did not book any excursions on the Sun Princess. We did arrange one tour in Ketchikan on the dock to see Totems, but you can see plenty in town. We saved our funds so we could add 7 days for a land tour after the cruise. This month's issue of Cruise Travel (June/2005) has an excellent article "Alaska Port Guide: Ashore on a Shoestring" listing some great activities that are free or very low cost. The cruise to this beautiful area is worth the time and anything you do in the ports is extra. Have a great time!

On our first cruise to Alaska, we did not book any excursions on the Sun Princess. We did arrange one tour in Ketchikan on the dock to see Totems, but you can see plenty in town. We saved our funds so we could add 7 days for a land tour after the cruise. This month's issue of Cruise Travel (June/2005) has an excellent article "Alaska Port Guide: Ashore on a Shoestring" listing some great activities that are free or very low cost. The cruise to this beautiful area is worth the time and anything you do in the ports is extra. Have a great time!

but one major point I disagree with on the article is their stating NOT to book independent flights. Makes me think they haven't traveled there??? It is also necessary and my top recommendation- ALWAYS have plans and reservations in place before you leave. They kind of led you to believe there is a big selection of tours at the dock?? Completely opposite.

BudgetQueen: You are correct in that analysis. The article lists pros and cons of striking out on your own versus cruise excursions. One con listed is "cost savings could be minimal". While some savings could be minimal, most indepent tours offer excellent savings. One of the pros they got right is "getting away from the herd". What I liked about the article, though, is some detail about low-cost things to do in each port. This lets goldtopan know that others also do not want to spent big bucks on shore.

Hi! I have a similar question and situation. We are going on our first cruise in May - 7 nights - got a great price on a balcony - couldn't resist!!!

We aren't sure if this is a "trip of a lifetime" or if we will be able to come back. There are so many other places in the world we want to see....

We could swing a couple of those crazy expensive excursions - but would rather walk around than wasting our money.

1. What is the appeal of the white line <sp?> railroad - white pass - I can't remember! In skagway

2. It looks like the helicopter ride and dog sled experience might be up our alley. Has anyone done this? Is Juneau or Skagway better?

3. I've never been horseback riding but I think I would enjoy it - I'm a bicyclist and like to spend as much time outdoors and doing things as possible. - Any recommendations on horseback tours?

4. Any other bicyclists ever do a real road ride in Alaska during a port call?

We have a couple of great alaska books but your advice is infinitely better!

Thanks so much!!!!

Andrea

Andrea-

On our first Alaska cruise, we did the helicopter/glacier landing out of Juneau. It was well worth the $$ - a very unique experience. We also took a plane ride over the Juneau Ice Fields.

The last time we went to Alaska, we did the bike ride in Skagway. It was a nice place to get off the beaten path. This was the first part of June, and it was perfect bicycle riding weather. The best part was, no one else signed up for this excursion, so it was just the guide, my husband and me! Saw some neat stuff up close. I think you can also rent bikes and take off on your own.

Haven't done the horseback riding, but I did do the snorkeling in Ketchikan.

We're not really into shopping in the ports too much. I can only handle going into so many tourist stores! I really enjoy seeing the places we visit, as opposed to seeing the stores in the places we visit.

One word - RELAXATION !

I would make those plans to go in a heartbeat! Nothing to do, no hurry-up to get here or there, no cooking, etc... that would be the vacation of a lifetime to me! The beautiful scenery is quite an added bonus in and of itself.

We have planned excursions booked, but I'm actually looking forward to the days that we don't have 'timed' plans.

Enjoy it for what you can do, not for what you can't do!:)

This will be our 3rd trip to Alaska. First time, took in lots of excursions. 2nd time did the White Pass train in Skagway. Enjoyed it very much. This time, we have no excursions planned. Plan on getting off and on the ship at our leisure. Lots to see just walking around and taking in the sights. Have read lots about things to do in each city, that are not even offered on cruise ship excursions. Hope this helps.

And one more thing: Have a great time on your cruise! Relax and enjoy!

Luci

Archived