first time cruising

ahoy newcruiser

Not that much where you are docked but you can get a ferry to Hamiltion and you can also get a passes that includes all ferrys and bus's for one price and use that to go to the beachs etc etc, not sure how the beach weather will be in May ( we are also going in May, but we are docked in Hamiltion), please just read the other posts on Bermuda and you will find many thing about getting around and thing to do.

Contrary to what the previous poster said, there is at least one attraction in Dockyard that I think a 5 yo will really enjoy.

The Bermuda Maritime Museum is in the Dockyard ($10 adult admission, free for children), and while the museum itself is not likely to be very interesting to your child, Dolphin Quest is located within museum grounds and you can sit outside and actually watch the dolphins for no additional charge (but actually swimming with the dolphins will carry a substantial additional charge).

Other than that, as was already noted, you can buy transportation passes for the bus and ferry system and travel throughout the island that way. A two day adult pass costs $20. A child's two day pass costs $10. The passes provide unlimited use of the buses and ferries.

Horseshoe Bay beach, Bermuda's most famous, is a relatively short bus ride on the #7 route from Dockyard. It has full changing and restroom facilities, a snack bar, as well as chair and umbrella rentals. If for some reason you don't want to travel to a beach, there is a man made beach, Snorkel Park, on the Dockyard grounds. It's not nearly as nice as a real Bermuda beach and they charge admission, but if convenience is most important, it is right there.

The Bermuda Aquarium, Museum and Zoo (BAMZ) is something your daughter will likely enjoy. To get there from Dockyard, take the ferry to Hamilton, walk up to the bus terminal and take a #10 or 11 bus to BAMZ.

You can read the various threads on this board for other ideas.

Thank you for posting. Is all that information easily available on the ship or at the dock?

The ship will give you some info, and there's probably info available at the dock. (I haven't been out at the Dockyard in many years, so I'm not sure) There are a few good Bermuda websites to check out, too. I can't remember the exact names, but google "bermuda tourism" or "visit bermuda" and you'll find lots of info.

I agree with NJhorseman. The dolphins and the zoo are good choices for a child. I think there's a little tram "train" that runs around the dockyard. A 5-year-old would probably like that, too.

And welcome to Cruise Critic!

Thank you for posting. Is all that information easily available on the ship or at the dock?

you go through the customs house on your way out and there is an information desk where you can buy your transportation passes and get all the tourist information you need!

Archived