Gem - Code Red during 4/8 Sailing

babygirl722

I was on the Gem 4/8-4/15 the week before you. My cabin, and the two additional cabins my family had were immaculate, and kept that way throughout the whole cruise. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Everyone that I came in contact with, from guest services, waiters, and especially our cabin stewart, were wonderful. Always eager to please, and with a smile.

I never heard of sheets being washed every day on a cruise.

I am happy to hear that you were well taken care of. Our cabin steward was not attentive or responsible.

Also, you are correct, typically sheets are not washed each day, however, with all of the sickness in our group it was requested that they were washed each day.

The bigger issue remains that NCL knew they had a big problem but did not let passengers know the virus was rampant throughout the ship.

I got back from the Gem on Sunday our cruise was 4/15 - 4/22. My husband became ill the third day with uncontrollable vomiting and diarrhea. We were already having a terrible time on the trip and my grumpy butt yelled at him for puking in the sink. He told me he just couldn't make it in time for the toilet. It was payback time for him on Saturday. I got really sick, didn't make it to the toilet everytime I had to throw up. There was puke all over the bathroom I'm talking about the floor, the walls! I had sharp pains in my stomach and bonus to him I even soiled myself THATS HOW SICK I WAS!!!!! I went to the hospital the same day we came home from the cruise.

We were also on the same cruise with a group of 14. Four got sick on board and two more since we got home. It's the vacation that keeps on giving.

Is Noro a seasonal thing on cruise ships? It seems everything I've read, that the virus is a lot more active in late winter early spring. I don't remember reading of any outbreaks in the summer or fall.

Is Noro a seasonal thing on cruise ships? It seems everything I've read, that the virus is a lot more active in late winter early spring. I don't remember reading of any outbreaks in the summer or fall.

I was just reading an article from february that stated "January through April is high season for norovirus activity,":(

It also stated that People are contagious from the moment they feel ill to at least three days — and possibly two weeks — after they recover...Also It (the virus) can survive in cold water as long as 61 days and be infectious ..

so how does a cruise ship that has had a massive outbreak actually get rid of the virus?

Here is the article I was reading. .. . .

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-02-22/Nasty-contagious-norovirus-is-everywhere-now/53211908/1

I was just reading an article from february that stated "January through April is high season for norovirus activity,":(

It also stated that People are contagious from the moment they feel ill to at least three days — and possibly two weeks — after they recover...Also It (the virus) can survive in cold water as long as 61 days and be infectious ..

so how does a cruise ship that has had a massive outbreak actually get rid of the virus?

Here is the article I was reading. .. . .

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/story/health/story/2012-02-22/Nasty-contagious-norovirus-is-everywhere-now/53211908/1

A lot of holidays are between that time so many people have their children with them, more chances for lack of hand washing.

They do a lot of cleaning during and after a cruise, you will constantly see wiping and cleaning.

I spoke to CDC (800) 323-4636 about me getting sick on the Gem and they told me to contact CDC Vessel Control Sanitation (800) 323-2132 to report about it. If anyone else is interested in reporting their sickness please call.

We requested at least 7 times that our rooms be cleaned more thoroughly, sheets washed etc. (at the time there was no concern of Noro). Finally one person in the party decided to put a small inch-long line with a pen on the sheets which were being "washed" every day. The line never disappeared. Perhaps it was an isolated incident, and I'm not a germaphobe or a complete neat freak, but our rooms were never clean smelling the entire trip. There was noticeable dust everywhere (not just those hard to reach areas, but thick dustiness on the counters, shelves etc). The bathroom continuously smelled like urine even after being 'cleaned'. quote]

Did you talk to anyone besides your room steward? Did you contact Tess, the Head of Housekeeping?

I think in general, people eating are disgusting and it should be done in private, like sexual relations and bathroom activities. In the future we will see it as disgusting, having families sitting around tables tearing at cooked animal flesh and satisfying our hungers.

This is close to about the funniest post I've ever read on CC! :D

OK this thread is a little frightening. I will be sailing on the NCL (Gem) for the 1st time next year. The buffet thing is seriously disgusting. I lost it when a woman used the chicken tongs to pick up a piece of shrimp then put it back with the chicken. I snatched those up & gave them to one of the servers before anyone else could use them. Also told the server to take the chicken away. This was on another cruise line. But putting your actual hands in the food????? OH MY GOD

I saw a lady go up to a pita bread display that contained chicken. She touched one, pulled back the pita bread to see what was in it, and then walked away and left it.

Another lady was walking from one side of the buffet to the other. She grabbed some chicken from her plate. She took a big bite of it and then went to the other side of the buffet area to get more food. Couldn't she just wait until she sits down?

Oh well...

Maybe they should teach a "how to eat at the buffet" lesson during that

required "boat drill" during the first day.

We will not be sailing on NCL again, and like I previously said, it's not because of the everyday fun stuff and entertainment--that was actually great--but when health related issues can't be resolved in a timely, satisfactory manner (the virus can be very troublesome for the very young and old), there are too many other options out there to stick with them.

When you find a cruiseline that doesn't have outbreaks if norovirus, let us know. Princess had serious problems with it in the last couple of months too. As I recall, cruises were cancelled because of it.

Regarding the buffet I feel that the crew should serve you with gloves on, this way you do not have to worry about hands not knowing where they were doing the serving.

So, you do realize someone can itch their nose with gloves on?

This is close to about the funniest post I've ever read on CC! :D

Have you ever sat back and watched people? They're stabbing, ripping, forking feeding/shoveling the food into mouths, talking and chewing, spitting food, dropping food. It's like a feeding frenzy among the animals. Of course , this is not every table but if you watch enough tables you will get a laugh.

Buffets are always the dining choice of last resort for me, both on land and at sea! One of my FAVORITE things about the Epic was that I did not have to walk thru the buffet to get anywhere. In fact, I never set foot inside it, so couldn't even tell you what it looked like!

My hubby was at the omelet station and watched a women sneeze without covering her mouth spraying the food. The crew did close the station! I have never seen one bug in all my cruises ... I have been told if you see one there are many more you don't.

We once nicknamed an individual on a cruise scratch and sniff .. this person was wearing the same food stained sweat pants throughout the cruise. Its funny that if your looking for your traveling companion you can never find them but we saw this person everywhere.

You put thousands of people in a confined environment stuff is going to happen. I do hope all that got ill are feeling better.

Wow. yuck. I'm a nurse and I think I will bring a box of gloves. :eek: We have many family members going and grandchildren. Maybe NO BUFFET!

We have the Star booked for next Jan.

I'm a nurse too. I'm packing sanitizer and lots of it!!! I think we'll skip the buffet too!

Got off the Gem on Sunday, April 29th and had a fantastic time. Didn't see any bugs, no one was sick, crew was terrific, room was always clean. Had our first inside cabin and thanks to a recommendation on the boards, we got a sideways inside cabin and it was great. Will be booking again on the Gem in October.

I was also shocked at people in the buffet on our Jade cruise two weeks ago.

One example, an elderley man was trying to put his bread in the toaster side by side with his other piece and it wouldn't fit. After he so nicely fondled it all over for about 30 seconds, he put it back in the pile and picked up a different kind. I couldn't believe it!

I am not a buffet person at all and after reading all this I know why!

Ugh......

They have signs on the bathroom doors to "open with paper towel".....I used the papertowel and any sanitizer I walked by!!

Happy Happy Washy Washy

Has anyone here ever been to Costco and watched the people go crazy over the food samples? Taking food, smelling it and putting it back,coughing over food, reaching into bowls with hands after pushing dirty shopping carts? I have seen people pushing and shoving just to get a tiny food sample. Many claim to go there for lunch from the free samples. What have we become???

IMaybe they should teach a "how to eat at the buffet" lesson during that

required "boat drill" during the first day.

Thats really not a bad idea, with all the flyers they leave in the room they should have a note somewhere saying something like "Please don't pickup touch the food unless your going to eat it" Please don't sneeze on the food"

Just a little reminder, but then again if you must be reminded of things like this then were all doomed.:(

This is what they need............The photo is from the Gem, I added the signage

914764185_PLEASEDONT.jpg.9e6858a6ec87f0318c18c01587e5af21.jpg

Maybe someone needs to contact someone high up with NCL and suggest that they pass out a flyer as you board the ship mentioning the best ways to avoid getting Noro and other illnesses, and common sense reminders regarding not touching food and then putting it back and stuff.

Archived