Has your ship's itinerary every been changed?

Boobaby

100% of the time for us. ;) We've been on two cruises and had two itinerary changes -- once in Alaska for weather and once in Hawaii because of engine trouble. In both, we missed ports. Both were handled well and we didn't mind. The engine one on NCL was particualrly well handled. When we arrived at check-in, we were handed the new schedule. It gave me time to run to the pay phone in port and change my rental car reservations, etc.

Once we weren't able to dock in Skagway due to high winds. The capt took us whale watching. Yep in a cruise ship!

Saw more whales that day than I ever had before. In fact, the whales seemed to be attracted to us and some came right up alongside the ship. The wife & I though it was great, but my sister & her hubby were on their first cruise and were looking forward to Skagway.

-Monte

On our first cruise we missed 2 of the 4 ports of call. It didn't make us happy and I can't say that it was handled well by the cruise line, but Alaska won us over and we are going back this year anyway. Maybe this time will be different. I sure hope so anyway!

It never occurred to me the itinerary might change for an Inside Passage Alaskan cruise. :o How often does this happen? Any particular time of the year that it is more likely to occur? I am sure cruiseline booked tours are cancelled at no charge, but how do the independents typically handle this?

We were in Alaska in May. We missed Juneau because the Diamond crashed into the dock in Victoria on the previous cruise due to high winds. (You can read all about it on these boards if you care to read the gory details.) That made our cruise late getting started and the ship had to go slower because of the damage. We missed Juneau and went straight to Skagway. Then we missed Victoria on the way back to Seattle because of high winds. (Other ships docked though.) Our port taxes were refunded and we didn't have to pay for the excursions booked through the ship. I don't know about independently book excursions. I guess it depends on the agent as to whether they will refund your money.

It never occurred to me the itinerary might change for an Inside Passage Alaskan cruise. :o How often does this happen? Any particular time of the year that it is more likely to occur? I am sure cruiseline booked tours are cancelled at no charge, but how do the independents typically handle this?

I always find out (when booking) if they give full refunds due to ship not being able to dock. I saw a HAL show about Alaska cruising on the Travel channel a couple weeks ago. They said it's not uncommon to have high winds due to the the air being funneled into a smaller area. It was stated that they can have high winds in the passage while in the open sea, not far away, it'll be a light breeze. I know a lot of people have said the passage is mild, and it often is, but it can be a real hoot at times ;)

-Monte

Well we have never missed a port in five cruises all on different lines but we did have changes in times on the Summit last Sep. in Alaska. When we got our packet, we saw that times for ISP had been changed, which impacted our tours. When we boarded the ship in Seward, they had a letter on our bed announcing mechanical problems and additional time changes for two ports and Hubbard Glacier. Since we had our own tours, we had to get on cell phone and try to change at last minute. Some already knew about the changes but others didn't. All of these contractors were able to reschedule us to later in day in we didn't miss Cap Larry or Southeast Aviation tours.

The frustrating part was that in addition to above, we were even later than they changed to for Hubbard Glacier by another 2/1/2hrs, which cut our time there, interfered with formal dinner night and at least 2 hrs later for Juneau. They extended our departure there to 10pm or something(whoopiee). Ketchikan was another 1 hr late. And none of the officers were ever around to talk about what was going on.

In the process of scoping out the number of other ships in port with us, I have discovered a discrepancy. On one of the schedules it shows the Sun Princess leaving Juneau at 7:30 pm, on another it was 9 pm, and on our Princess itin. it shows 9 pm. We are in Juneau on Sep 1, so it's a long way off and probably subject to change. Who is more likely to be right? :confused:

Archived