Can we gold pan independently in Juneau or Skagway?

e050377

My children would like to pan for gold. I'm looking at either Juneau or Skagway. We have currently booked gold panning, sled dog, and 40 below in Skagway, but my kids really just want to pan for gold and I don't think this tour offers much time. Can anyone recommend a tour company we can book independently now or will there be tours available when we disembark?

Is Liarsville near the dock? Will they have tours for this off of the boat? i Googled the company and e-mailed them, but have not heard back yet.

They're over 2 miles from the dock, and you're unlikely to hear from them as they no longer book independents.

The dog sled ride, 40 below and the gold dredge are all part of the same complex. The dredge is a nice tour and there is pleanty of time to pan for gold - the soil is "salted" so everyone gets some flakes and one lucky person gets a small nugget.

Here is some more information about it http://cruiseportinsider.com/skex21.html

Level Six.... there is also a nice park ... go to the south end of the beach toward the wooden structure that goes out toward the water... that is where the old dock was from the treadwell gold mine !!! I have been very lucky there in the past!!! Just Tell your cab driver you want to go to Sandy Beach on the Island.... he will know where to take you!!

akfishergirl, you're the best! Thanks. I mean, I know it sounds crazy to do this on a cruise day, but, it sounds so fun to me and what better way to enjoy Alaska? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I don't think I will find anything, but it would be fun to spend a few hours doing it.:D

Why is it crazy? It is what you want to do and it will create a wonderful memory for you and your family!! remember to take your pans with you... and if you are going to be a while take a lunch!! Truly is a cheap day and a lot of fun!!! There is a nice hike from there back to Treadwell but you really need to be aware of the Bear population... carry bear spray and wear bells...Enjoy your day I hope you get lucky!!!!

Archived