Oasis Balcony doors to be locked for air to work??

OH, great... so being a solo traveler, I can't even use my balcony. What if I got locked out? There would be NO ONE to know. So much for having a balcony - who cares now? Damn, wish I had an inside cabin :mad:

I don't understand how you can lock yourself out on the balcony....there's just no way to do it.

I don't understand how you can lock yourself out on the balcony....there's just no way to do it.

I'm not sure of ~how~ it happened but on the eve of April 14th *at a Titanic 'party' none the less* there were about a dozen of us locked out on one of the Owner's Suite balconies!! I think it happened when the door shut too quickly/roughly and the handle dropped down and latched it.

After the realization that someone wasn't joking we started pondering how to get out of this predicament...

1st suggestion... who has a cell phone... (umm who are we going to call...9-1-1???)

2nd suggestion... find someone on another balcony to call guest services (umm of COURSE no one was out and every balcony was in darkness)

3rd suggestion... start yelling HELP and making lots of noise (got the attention of someone who just came out and told us to shut the **** up and didn't call anyone)

4th suggestion... wait it out (luckily the next door neighbour came home and we saw the light flick on... got his attention, handed the sea pass around the divider and he came to our rescue!)

There should be an emergency call button put somewhere out on the balcony so that you can alert someone! Definitely a safety issue

Oh...please ... please share the work around. We love to sit on the balcony - but the idea that my husband and I have to take turns sitting on the balcony to keep the air on is crazy!

We loved the Allure, but separation or a very warm cabin is keeping us from booking again....

Hubby says rare earth magnet will do the trick. He's got a contact kit used for testing commercial door alarms that should cover us. Says not sure which one he'll need but kit is small so they can all come.

BTW, if you're gonna go this route make sure you keep the magnets away from your CC's and electronics. Our kit is in a protective case but isn't really easily available to the public.

hmmm...this is not good news for me. I have to sleep in an icebox. Literally. Well, nearly. And I like it pretty chilly during the day. Here's hoping that my Engineer-H will figure out a work around. ;)

I have to be in a cold room too. If my nose is not cold then it is too warm!

When I hear about cruise ships losing power and no A/C it could give me nightmares!

Hubby says rare earth magnet will do the trick. He's got a contact kit used for testing commercial door alarms that should cover us. Says not sure which one he'll need but kit is small so they can all come.

BTW, if you're gonna go this route make sure you keep the magnets away from your CC's and electronics. Our kit is in a protective case but isn't really easily available to the public.

Please ask hubby what to do with the magnets, how to use them on the door.

Me again - just got off the phone with Royal Caribbean. I told them of the discussion going on here and asked if the door had to be locked for the air to work on Oasis. He said that while he can't give me a 100% definite answer that neither he or his supervisor have ever heard this question before and that if this was the case he is sure that they would have had many calls from passengers. He also said both he and his supervisor have both been employed there quite a while.

I can think of many different scenerios where someone being locked out on a balcony could be a huge liability for the cruise line.

I guess I'll know one way or the other in January.

The doors do not lock just by being shut - they have to be locked by engaging the lever from the inside of the cabin. Impossible to lock yourself out - someone would have to lock you out from the inside. Nothing to worry about unless you have a practical joker traveling with you - at which point whether the AC is on or off when they lock you outside is irrelevent. Go and enjoy - having to lock a door to turn on the air, or concerns over someone locking you out on the balcony should not be anything to worry about on a cruise.

The doors do not lock just by being shut - they have to be locked by engaging the lever from the inside of the cabin. Impossible to lock yourself out -

Not true.

There is a video that someone showed on Youtube that shows how this can happen.

That video link was posted somewhere on CC, and I am sure that someone will be able to find it and repost that link.

Not true.

There is a video that someone showed on Youtube that shows how this can happen.

That video link was posted somewhere on CC, and I am sure that someone will be able to find it and repost that link.

I can't comment on that other than to say I was on Oasis last year and the latch had to be engaged from the inside. Maybe slamming it or something could cause it to move but the door also aritculates slightly inward when being locked. Again, can't refute what you are saying but think it would be very difficult - there are a lot of videos on youtube.....

We sailed the Oasis in 5/2010 and Allure in 5/2011 and I never noticed an issue ever with the air conditioning. I know I never requested my husband lock me on the balcony because 1) he'd be more than happy to do it and 2) it would freak me out.

Nor do I ever remember it being particularly warm in our cabin and I spent a lot of time on our balcony reading a book. Weird.

Please ask hubby what to do with the magnets, how to use them on the door.

He says he has to see the door and the contact to know how to disable. If anyone has a pic to post he might be able to tell now otherwise you'll have to wait till we're back... 05/20.

He says he has to see the door and the contact to know how to disable. If anyone has a pic to post he might be able to tell now otherwise you'll have to wait till we're back... 05/20.

I will be here.

I was aware of this issue last Sept when we cruised on the Oasis OTS.

We were in a GS and I attempted to replicate what others have been reporting. I could find no difference with the AC ops with the door opened or closed.

Either these switches are not installed in the suites, or it is mounted in the door frame in such a manner that the location is not visible to someone looking to place a magnet near the reed switch. It is possible that the switches are located near the top or bottom of the frame and are not accessible unless the door is physically removed from the frame.

Please post instructions and a photo when you return. Have a great cruise!

I don't see the problem with having the balcony door open and the AC on. Hubby likes hang in the room to escape the heat and crowds and I like to sit on the balcony, read a book and chat with him. I don't see a problem. I use the AC with open windows in my own home. It costs me but what the heck else do I work for?

'cause it's just plain stupid.

'cause it's just plain stupid.

To you maybe. Well if that's how you feel then to you I'm stupid but that's my prerogative. I'm gonna be honest... in my house I often open the windows when it's cold and the heat is on and also when it's hot and the AC is on. It's what I wanna do and I pay the heating and cooling costs in my household so I do it. Same goes for a cruise as far as I'm concerned. I'm paying so I'm gonna run the AC with the balcony door open. Deal with it.

Archived