no BAGS program if flying Southwest

rjm11

We are just back from a really WONDERFUL trip on the Star out of Tampa... had a great time, and if I get my act together I'll post a more detailed review (though I'm happy to answer any questions.... we had two kids with us, ages 4 and 6, and stayed in the SC 2 bedroom family suite on deck 11).

BUT- the one negative thing is that Southwest airlines is no longer participating in the BAGS program... they had been for a little while, but now they are not. We were quite disappointed to learn this, as we had a late afternoon flight and were hoping to avoid the hassle of our bags. As an alternative, we gave a porter $20 to take our bags (with one of us) over to the baggage storage area at the port terminal (across the street from where you disembark) and paid to have them stored there for the day. I think it was around $10, but my husband dealt with it, so I'm not sure of the exact cost. We then went to the aquarium which is literally touching the port building, so very close. The aquarium is great. Then back across the street to retrieve the bags, then a cab to the airport. Not a bad "plan B", but not as easy as setting them outside your door and never having to see them again.

I've never used that program, but I can see how it would be a problem if you were planning on using it and then discovered they no longer offered it. At least you were able to find a work-around.

And hey, at least Southwest still doesn't charge for your first two checked bags. I'll take that over a bag transfer program any day!

I've never used that program, but I can see how it would be a problem if you were planning on using it and then discovered they no longer offered it. At least you were able to find a work-around.

And hey, at least Southwest still doesn't charge for your first two checked bags. I'll take that over a bag transfer program any day!

Well when you buy out the competition and charge $100 more one way then I'll pay the $25 bag fee anyday.

Agreed. Even though I've seen several people posting on here lately that Southwest is more expensive over the other airlines, I've never found this to be true. Especially after paying for your bags on other airlines, they have always been more expensive than flying Southwest.

I can't wait until they open up pricing for December so that I can compare prices for our upcoming cruise.

Doesn't NCL have an onboard program for baggage? On RCI we pay 20. per person and we don't see our bags till we get to our home airport and SW does that program.

The reason for the thread SW no longer patticaptes in the program you may very well find that the case next RCI cruise. NCL still has the program..

In October, we booked w/ SW for our May return b/c it goes to MacArthur Airport (a small airport on Long Island) which is only 15 mins. from our home. The problem was that our flight was for 11:30 am (the latest flight out of LAX to MacArthur) with a 1 1/2 hr. layover; and it didn't give us much time to get to LAX from the Pier. We later decided to cancel SW and go with JetBlue. Of course the fare was non-refundable. So, we lost $400. I'm so glad we cancelled that flight, more so now, that you mentioned about SW no longer participating in the Bags Program because we have quite a bit of luggage. JetBlue still participates in the Bags Program. We'll be able to take our time getting to the airport and it's a direct flight. So, as far as we're concerned, it's worth the lost of $400. Not liking the lost of $400; but now we have a peace of mind which is really important; especially when travelling.

Archived